don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because Sonic Select only uses Modern designs.

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    lol I knew E-122-Psi would complain about Sally's design XD to be honest I like it, I don't think the lines are really that disturbing and the arm doesn't look that bad to me, for me it looks a good mix of old and modern so I'm ok with that.

*dodges flying tomatoes*

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

That predictable am I?

I just don't like the facial design at all, it makes her look like a generic Uekawa character but at the same time her proportions are so warped she doesn't even match up as that. Most of Archie's attempts to SEGAfy her I just feel make her more like a generic Tails clone than a good translation of her original design.

The fur patches and more defined joints I feel are superfluous anyway since original design didn't even have them. Spaz is always insistant that she be humanoid.

4. Tylinos

Tylinos

So, I got SU #41 in. Before I get to my thoughts on it, something else to get out of the way: Preview pages for Sonic Archives #18:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12648

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now that that's out of the way, some thoughts and spoilers from SU #41. I don't want to give too much away, though, so this won't be a summary if you're expecting that.
    - Despite being blue and silver on the cover, Shard (Metal Sonic 2.5) is black and yellow in the story for some reason. Wasn't really expecting that.
    (Someone pointed out in #comics that the color's based on the Metal Sonic from Rivals 2. Still confuses me that the cover colors were different, though.)

- In exchange for Silver joining the Secret Freedom Fighters, Harvey Who is going to go over Silver's notes on the traitor and identify who it is. The way he words it implies we may find out who it is by the end of this arc.

- The team splits up into two for seperate missions. We follow Silver, Shard, and Larry this issue.

- WINDY VALLEY

- Uncle Chuck seems to be helping out Nicole in some way. Oh, and he's also working with Harvey Who.

- The snark is heavy with Shard. I approve.

- Ixis Mogul statue. This confuses Silver.

- We don't learn how Shard survived the volcano yet, unfortunately. Ian said we will be finding out, though, so I'm not worried.

I enjoyed the issue for the most part. Some parts felt a bit filler-like, but it was still a nice (and almost stand-alone) story. It was more about the character moments than the plot.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

Double-posting, but for good reason: New solicits are in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like the Greg Horn cover for 241 (Tails, unsurprisingly) is a variant instead of the main cover. I guess they actually listened? Larry looks weird on the main cover, though, which bugs me. Also, "super special Sega tie-in"?

As for SU44, it's Naugus' deadliest plan yet: LAWS.

The rest we've seen before.

EDIT: Update from Ian:
    [quotename='Ian Flynn']A heads-up - again, the STH solicit isn't 100% accurate due to various behind-the-scenes stuff. Expect the tie-in material next issue while the main story will be a full issue.[/quote]

6. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Anyone else think Yardleys work has been really sloppy lately? Everything looks really disjointed and jagged. I mean, look at Leeta and Lyco on the cover, theirs faces look really squashed together. He's drew Larry here, but he looks more like Lightning Lynx. :x

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think the 241 artist is Ben Bates rather than Tracy Yardley. His style is very similar to Yardley's but a bit more free style and chibi-ish.

8. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    nope, that's the style of Yardley alright. Also, I don't think is that's sloppy, considering how much he has to draw and having deadlines and stuff, I think he is doing a pretty good job. But hey, that's just me, everybody have differet opinions and stuff :v:

9. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages

They did come to Spain, around 2004 or 2005. It was the Sonic X comics, and they came incluided in the Dibus! magazine. They weren't sold separately, though.

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    wow really?! oh I didn't know back then since I lost track of that magazine...oh well that's too bad. I didn't really like the Sonic X ones either...

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I didn't knew it back, either ( and I also don't like the sonic X comics), but a friend of mine did get them and showed them to me a few years ago. There only published the first two or three issues, though.

We need a proper comic release here...starting on the genesis saga like the french one could be a good idea.

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

Update from Ian:
    [quotename='Ian Flynn']A heads-up - again, the STH solicit isn't 100% accurate due to various behind-the-scenes stuff. Expect the tie-in material next issue while the main story will be a full issue.[/quote]

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bigger Covers people. Lol, anyone else spot a certain easter egg on the Encyclopedia cover? I'll give you a hint: Next to Chaos.

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

Probably not quite as interesting as the larger covers, but for anyone interested, here're the preview pages for SU #41:
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=46671

Full pages under the spoiler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For some reason, it switches over to Jughead preview pages after that. I have no idea.

15. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    can someone sum me up who is that Metal Sonic? I haven't read the comics from the beggining and I have no idea who is that

16. Shard is supposedly a reincarnation of the first Metal Sonic in the comics, who died by willingly submerging himself in lava. It's interesting that he has the color scheme of Gemerl from Sonic Battle.

17. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    [​IMG]

He's from some two parter that was in Issue #86 and #87. His big deal was that in the issues he kidnapped Tails and had Sonic save Tails who was on the inside of a volcano while he sacrificed himself out of a strong Kirk speech from Sonic.

It was bizarre yet memorable filler for the time.

18. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    oh I see...and how is it possible that is back now? did he get reconstructed or something?

19. ancara

ancara

I'm probably gonna feel stupid for asking, but whatever did happen to Rotor?

You know, the walrus that was supposed to be the main tech guy for the Freedom Fighters until Tails made his job basically moot? :v:

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

We don't know for sure yet (Ian said it'll be explained), but Ian's been pointing out recently that in the past that same Metal Sonic's brought himself from pretty much complete destruction thanks to his Power Gem's abilities.

He's still pretty active.
    He was on the council for a while, but he recently quit in protest to Nicole being exiled, and is now the leader of one of the three main Freedom Fighter teams. He also has a spiffy power suit for battle.