don't click here

A very old Sonic fan game titled Sonic Boom (1995)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Nesplayer, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I came across this very old yet very strange Sonic fan-made game that was created in 1995 (if that is true). The person who posted the video claims that it's "One of, if not the first sonic fan game on the net". On his account, he has a couple of old Sonic fan made games which I thought were fun to laugh at. :v:

Sonic Boom (95)

and

Some sort of Doom Wad he customized with Sonic themes.

2. STE

STE

3. It's funny that you pointed that out because I had the exact reaction. X)

I wasn't aware that this was posted on their wiki page but thanks for informing me!

4. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    God, I remember playing this '96. APPLES AND BEES

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I played this! I remember how corny it was.

7. Graxer

Graxer

I never played this fangame despite the fact that I used to play the very old ones. My favourite fangame was The Search for Knuckles.

There is this old DOS Sonic fangame I played once. I think it was called "Spinball" (no relation to Sonic Spinball, or even pinball), although I may be wrong. In it you ran around various what I think were dungeons. Does anybody here know what it is? It's really been bothering me.

8. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Fuck, you got there first =P

Dare I say, at the risk of being flamed, the gameplay quality seems on par with Sonic Team's recent works =P

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Sonic Unleashed must not have come to the UK yet. =P

10. OH

My

God!

I REMEMBER THAT GAME. It was The Search for Knuckles, but it was like a Star Trek Rip-off and a Spock sprite would come up saying "Live long, and Prosper!" The name In the title crossed out "For Spock" LOL.

The actual game was sort of one level, but the Act ended early due to its incompletion. But it was on purpose, and then a dog came up and barked. Sonic said "What that? You think Knuckles is in the well?" And he goes over and jumps into a well.

In that well were signs saying "Mecha Knuckles this way" and "Go this way" and Sonic says "I think I'm supposed to go this way."

Then a short cutscene between Sonic and Mecha Knuckles happens. They don't talk at all and just stare at each other. Then the battle starts.

Cue S&K Miniboss music.

...But it isn't a battle at ALL! Mecha Knuckles hovers around Sonic's location, covering him up!. It says "You can't beat Mecha Knuckles. Press W to proceed." (Or some other key, It's been too long)

After that, The Death Egg literally crashes into the Floating Island, and the Island flips on its side.

Knuckles and Sonic run to the top-left corner of the Island to stay above water.

Then Sonic and Knuckles have a short conversation, but the part of it I fondly remember is this:

Imagine this scene with the Titanic Music.

Knuckles: "...Sonic?"
    Sonic: "Yeah?"
    Knuckles: "This is the place where we first met."

The Island begins to shake violently, as it is getting ready to fully submerge.

We see the Island from afar, and Tails from out of nowhere grabs Sonic and Knuckles with the Tornado, and the Island totally sinks.

Cue S&K ending music.

Sonic: "Thank's Tails! I owe you one!"
    Knuckles: "Yeah, we were almost fish food."
    Tails: "Um...Sonic?"
    Sonic: "Yeah Tails?"
    Tails: "We're out of gas."

Th Tornado cuts, they all look at the screen with sad faces. The Tornado falls with them on it, their eyes hang in the air for a moment, then fall with it.

CUE CREDITS.

At the end, Spock is at the black screen and says "Live Long and Prosper!"

...Don't ask me how I remember that game so well.

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    You forgotten to say that Sonic swims with a ducky floater >:|

12. Lol sorry. Again is was from forever ago. I would love to play it again...

13. JDAdams

JDAdams

This page has links to both games, but the files have long since fallen into the abyss :(

Edit: Hell yeah

Further edit: I actually managed to lose (I got stuck in a wall). I suck :(

14. THIS MUST BE PUT ON THE WIKI NOW!

15. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    The search for knuckles is AMAZING. seriously you guys made my life <3

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That DOOM modification is "Sonic DOOM II: Bots on Mobius" and was the project A.J. Freda (aka SSNTails) was involved with prior to the Sonic Team Jr. stuff. I actually designed a couple of the levels in SD2BOM. If it's still up somewhere, take a look at Carnival Night, Ice Cap, and Oil Ocean (though I don't remember if I ever finished OOZ or not.)

And regarding Sonic Boom, yeah it was certainly the first fan game. There were no fan games of Sonic before it or for a while after it. Classic game, I remember it well!

EDIT: Yeah, here's Ice Cap -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKe8KZM-GIc

17. That's some very cool information, I liked how the Ice Cap zone was made! :)

18. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Another person who has played Spinball!? I am probably the only person other than you who remembers it.
    Yeah, you ran around in dungeons and stuff, and got rings, and jumped platforms. It wasn't very Sonicy, and it didn't have any sound apart from the old PC speaker, but it was a good challenge and fun to play. There was the Metal Sonic boss that had a really simple pattern but tended to be hard to kill (and I remember dying a lot, where blood would splatter around a little and the screen faded out) I remember that it wasn't actually finished, like after the dungeons it had a single water level and that was it.

I probably still have it backed up if you are looking for it.

19. Graxer

Graxer

If you have it then yes, could you please upload it? I have spent a long time searching online for it. :)

20. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Speaking of old fangames (Sonic Boom and The Search for Knuckles IIRC can be found on the hall of mis fame section of the SFGHQ), anybody remember/have Knux CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.