don't click here

A very old Sonic fan game titled Sonic Boom (1995)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Nesplayer, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graxer

Graxer

Just added a list of the references. (It may be incomplete) I hope nobody minds.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Oh wow, I knew it was old but not that old o.O Did sprite rips exist back then though? (um, was Sonic 3 & Knuckles Collection released for that time?)

EDIT: in fact, did Metal Knuckles exist back then? >_>

3. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Oh blimey, I remember the Serach for Knuckles game, will have to give that a whirl again.

4. Machenstein

Machenstein

I do, but I can't remember much. I played my fair share of Sonic fan games back in the day. My favorites were always the Sonic Chaos games from AytaƧ AKSU. Remember when Sonic Chaos Revolution was pretty much the best Sonic fan game around? Oh, and there was also OMNI Khaos. That game was pretty cool too.

There are plenty of Sonic fan games I remember from back then. Sonic Fight, Sonic Brick, Tails R, When Tails Gets Bored, and let's not forget Sonic Mega Quest staring Pip the Bat. Ha ha, those games sucked pretty bad. Thank goodness for all the progression the fan gaming scene has made over the years. Now we have stuff like Sonic Nexus and Retro Sonic XG, both of which I prefer even over the official efforts.

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    SK Collection was 1997, so there were no sprite rips without an emulator (although Sonic 2 sprite sheets existed.)

And no to Metal Knuckles -- that was 1997 also.

6. Graxer

Graxer

Sonic & Knuckles Collection came out in 1996 according to the copyrights on the box. There is the possibility that "Mecha Knuckles" may be a reference to "Metal Sonic".

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Looks too similar to the real Metal Knuckles though.

Also I assure you, before reading that on the wiki I used to think that the game was released on 1998 (which would make sense). Now I don't know :psyduck:

8. Well I have no recollection of when It was released. However, your logic does make sense, so I will change it.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I think I know from where the 1996 year comes from: the version of TGF used is from 1996.

Also I checked the setup file modification date: January 24, 1999. I guess I wasn't that wrong.

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

March 20th 1997 according to MobyGames, which is pretty damn accurate for things like this. Plus there were reviews at the time in March/Feb 1997.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/sonic-knuckles-collection

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    I knew that the Mecha Knuckles battle was lame, but I actually managed to get him stuck:

[​IMG]

Seriously. Mecha Knuckles would stay there idling. Screw that :/

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    IT IS TIME TO SONIC BRICK UP THIS THREAD.

That game was where I first heard "Another One Bites The Dust."

Also Tails R. Too bad I couldn't find anyone else to play it with me.

I also remember playing a Sonic RPG with distinctive overhead sprites.

13. Graxer

Graxer

Could you possibly mean ShenSonic? (Shenmue told with Sonic characters)

14. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

Oh shit. I played the search for knuckles when I was 9 iirc, this is amazing.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Well, from what I remember, it was the 3/4ths overhead view. The sprites were custom ms paint like, the first boss was robotnik in an underground basement tunnel with that particular midi remix of lava reef act 2. After that, the game sent you to a forest maze with Sonic Electronic playing. There was no way further after this point. It was Sonic with two other sonic game characters following him around in typical RPG parade way. They were either Tails and Knuckles or Ray and Mighty. Like I said, this is memory from a game I played years ago.

16. NHY

NHY

I remember playing all those when I first came onto the fangame scene back in 2000 ( Though I'm being largely inactive in that area since about 2004 ) . I plagiarised sprites and music from every game I downloaded back then! I didn't have much resources to begin with as I actually started off with Klik & Play before losing my patience and just getting a TGF code off some site.

Though all that time wasted messing in TGF, working on fangames I've never finished ( including about 5 incarnations of Yoshi's Adventure 3, a sequel to an unreleased sequel of the only game I finished and got out online. ) came to be down the road in college as it meant I was able to pick up Adobe programs pretty fast, with Flash giving me flashbacks ( pardon the pun ) of when I used to use TGF daily.

Search for Knuckles made me go ' WTF? ' then laugh when I first played it, it wasn't much but it was funny. Sonic boom had novelty value attached to it and is worth a look just to see how far fangames in general have come. There was also another one, Tails and the Quest for 100 rings, I remember that one too. It was supposedly the second sonic fangame ever made and had a bit more meat, being a proper platform adventure as opposed to a mini game. The author even goes as far as to give a logical explanation as to why Tails can't fly in the game as at that time, no one had figured out how to pull it off decently in a fangame.

I remember seeing others from screenshots as I never downloaded everything. I skipped Sonic Robo Blast 1 because even though it had good reviews, I thought the graphics looked crap and to me, didn't justify a then big download on a 56K connection. ( Of course, SRB2 is a whole different story )

Ah, the memories, makes me feel VERY damn old.

17. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Oh god, The Search For Knuckles? I remember that from way back when I used to frequent SonicHQ.
    I also remember... Mad Sonic, Sonic & Friends 2, and Sonic PC, but nothing that was seriously well done.

18. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Here we go. Also it looks like the full Qbasic source code is included, if anyone's interested.

This looks like it may be almost one of the first Sonic fangames. It was last updated on Feb. 26, 1998 according to the readme, but some of the files have modification dates going back to early 1996.

19. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Changed TSOK's release date to 1999 because that's the earliest date we have confirmed so far. Also appended a question mark to it to remark the fact that it isn't a confirmed date (it could be 1999 or it could be 1998, after all!).

By the way, how many early fangames are we gonna find? :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.