don't click here

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I've picked up a 2.4GHz pad each for MD and Saturn.

They are cross-compatible too, so you can use the Saturn Pad on an MD receiver and vice-versa... So, HOPEFULLY they'll end up selling receivers separately at some point so I can put one in the 2P port of both consoles and use the controllers I bought on either console for 2 player games.

I asked them and they said it's been discussed and there would be more news "soon".

Whether that's Analog Bluetooth Pad soon, or DC Controller soon, who knows?

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I got the Bluetooth Saturn one (translucent with the JP buttons).

[​IMG]

It's pretty sick.

Wish they'd hurry up with the DC controller though, that's where the real money's at.

3. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Want.

How does the D-Pad feel?

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Damnit, NOW the Saturn pads have select buttons?

I'm glad they're listening to feedback but I wish they thought of it before I grabbed the Genesis pads on that basis :')

5. Thanks for the heads up y'all. Went ahead and ordered the blue wireless Saturn pad after double checking that it actually had Switch support. I like the translucent/multi color one more, but I already have the wired version in that style.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm going to hold out until they release Bluetooth receivers (if they ever actually do).

If anyone is able, I'd love to get a comparison of Retro Bit's Genesis controller vs. 8BitDo.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

It’s weird that other region versions don’t come with wireless receivers, because the blue MegaDrive one I got on release day comes with both a MegaDrive and a USB receiver (UK).

These are great controllers by the way, and I’d highly recommend.

8. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Cannot confirm this myelf, but it might be worth seeing if the bluetooth receivers that 8BitDo sell for the M30 bluetooth pads could work with the Retro-bit bluetooth Mega Drive pads. It works flawlessly with the M30 and my Model 1 Mega Drive (which is its intended use, mind), and requires no extra power supplies (draws power from the MD controller port somehow?).

9. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    The 2.4Ghz ones do, the Bluetooth ones don't.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    So for anyone looking at buying, like I did, a USB SEGA controller, be warned that Retro-Bit's Switch macros are interfering with certain held button presses on PC such as A+Start.

Fortunately after getting in contact with them they are working on a firmware update to change the Switch macros to three button presses. No idea when that will be released though.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    So can I order the Genesis controllers from America separate? I don't really want the console itself.

12. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    After extensive testing using the 240p Test Suite on the Mega Drive (using the "manual lag tester"), I've come to the conclusion that there's somewhere between an 25-30ms extra lag on the 2.5Ghz controllers when using the Mega Drive dongle when compared to a regular wired controller. That adds up to nearly an extra two frames of latency.

Interestingly though when running the test suite through a PC running Kega Fusion (using the same TV, for consistency's sake) , the USB dongle doesn't appear to exhibit the same problem, with the latency being at worst within 5ms of the Mega Drive wired results.

Mega Drive was connected to an OSSC via SCART, then connected to the TV via HDMI.

Result of wired tests: around 14-18ms.
    Result of wireless test: around 38-42ms.

PC was a direct HDMI connection

Result of USB dongle tests: around 16-20ms.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. The D-Pad on my wireless Saturn pad locked up last night after pausing a game on the Switch. I checked out the reviews on Amazon to see if anyone else had this issue, and apparently its fairly frequent. Rebooting the console fixes the issue at least.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

When you pause and hold a direction on the d-pad it causes this. Press the opposite direction and start at the same time to fix the issue.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Anyone who removes the leash off the bad dog that is Saturn controller, deserves all the lag they get.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Did a video about the lag I've been experiencing with the MD and Saturn receivers. Results are slightly different to what I reported earlier, but that's the problem with the manual testing method, it is at the mercy of my own reaction time. We need to get somebody with the proper lag testing tech to get the proper numbers.

Having said that, you can still see the clear difference between the wired MD controller, the MD dongle, and the USB results.

Retrobit have been notified on Twitter. Their only response: "Noted. :)"

I'm beginning to worry that it's not something that can be fixed by firmware. Maybe it's how they're powering them

What is the current on the 5V lines on the MD and Saturn controller ports?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG]

18. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I caved in and got a wireless Genesis controller. Using only the USB dongle, it works pretty great. I suspect a fractional smidge of lag on my side, but nothing too hampering.
    Strangely, the Home button doesn't seem to register on my PS3 even though it's supposed to. Odd.

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Having used the Skeleton Saturn Bluetooth controller for about an hour, I am extremely impressed. I like it more than my SLS USB model. The biggest thing that throws me off is that is actually has rumble. The Genesis USB one I have doesn't, so that's a surprise. Playing Puyo Champions with it actually scared me!

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Why are the Bluetooth Saturn Receivers (not controllers) out of stock? Were they ever in stock?