don't click here

Sonic: Project Chaos v2.5

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePak

IcePak

Very good hack there StephenUK. I can't wait to play the final version, once it's complete.

A bug I noticed, which hasn't been mentioned already, occurs when you warp to a different timezone. When you enter the new time zone after the flash has occured and Sonic is standing at the lamp-post, Sonic's sprite is all messed up. At least until you press left or right or jump.

2. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Excellent hack, Stephen. My only question is "What happens to all the other stuff from the previous release?"

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Yay, it now runs on a real Genesis. A couple of notes, though:

The results screen looks weird. It's using the original charset for all but the O and N in the big text, and of course your HUD changes propogate here, but you still have original Sonic-2 style "BONU" and "TOTAL".

Also, when Sonic is running and is at a 45-degree angle, his sprite doesn't quite hug the ground, so it looks like he's "jittering".

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hahah, this mod's great!

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Yeah there are still a few incomplete bits of art I need to add in, but I might not get a lot of work done anytime soon, so I thought I might as well release what I had so far. I'll be fixing them up as soon as I can. I know why the SRAM was fucking up, and I can fix it. The only problem is, the rom size is gonna go too big for you to test it on the real hardware. I might have to add the SRAM after everything else is done, and hope that the filesize is quite low.

The reason for the green patches on the stopping sprite is as you said, incomplete sprites. The reason that some of the sprites may look a bit odd is that they have been modified to fit in the original S2 mappings. Once I have a few hours free time, I'll remap all of Sonic's sprites to how they were on S3.

As for the previos stuff, that should hopefully be making a return, as long as I can come up with decent timezone designs for them. The title screen will return once I've fixed up the animation scripts, and the warp objects will be replaced with the Sonic CD posts. The emerald art will be changed, and I'll fix up the load cue for Shadow and Mighty (this is why the art is corrupt). There are a few bits here and there that I'm aware of, such as the Speed Shoes monitor which doesn't have an effect. I think this might be related to the speed boost, but if I make this a multi-character ability, the speed shoes will probably be redundant anyway.

Well, I'll get back on with it and see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback everyone ;)

6. Maxtream

Maxtream

7. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I've already got the design for the bad future in my head, but like I've always said, I won't be doing the whole Good/Bad future thing unless I can fit it in the rom. I don't want to start it and then run out of space.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
  9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Ah I know what's causing that. It was when I updated the tile, SonED 2 automatically scraps the 128x128 collision. I probably just forgot to set it again. Thanks for that.

10. LocalH

LocalH

I also notice that, in debug, the millseconds continue to count after the clock is supposed to stop. You might want to enable the milliseconds only when debug is not active, since it's kind of meaningless with debug, anyway.

11. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    Bug: If you collect speed boots, then use Sonic Speed Boost, the speed boots stop working, but the music is still sped up.

I love the way all the ring boxes give you a random amount of rings, too.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps the speed boots could be scrapped completely in favor of a new and more useful monitor? By the way, I would change the "boost" button to "B" instead of "A". It would make gameplay a bit less awkward, and more similar to the Mario games and many other platformers.

Then perhaps you could map a special move to the A button, such as Chaos Control when playing as Shadow (for each 50 rings or something), and something else for the other characters. Hmm... perhaps you could even use the 2 Player teleport effect for that.

Oops, I'm thinking too much.

13. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    You read my mind on the Chaos Control. I've been trying to perfect this for a week or 2. I'm actually trying to make it freeze all enemies for 5 secs at the cost of 75 rings, but I'm experiencing a few problems. I will be scrapping the speed boots as well. I chose A as the boost button coz it was the least used jump button, so it would cause less problems. I might change it to B though, coz it would actually be easier.

14. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    I think that'd be pretty useless, unless it worked on bosses. Most badniks aren't enough trouble to be worth spending 75 rings on. :P

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Maybe the Chaos control could stop time as well? You could make Shadows Levels all have a strict time limit.

Edit: And perhaps replace the shoe monitor with a monitor that would add 10-20 seconds to the time.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now that would be interesting, with Shadow being able to stop time and Sonic being able to boost. Needless to say, the characters would have to be balanced enough so their best times would be similar.

Say, this could make for a quite amazing 2 Player mode. If it was easy to implement, which I know it's not, sadly.

17. LocalH

LocalH

I just went into Hill Top and got complete shit.

18. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    It shares it's art with Emerald Hill doesn't it. I've not seperated the art yet, but I'll get round to it.

As for freezeing bosses with Chaos Control, that was part of the idea as well. I noticed that when you die, all sprites except the rings and the player freeze. I was looking for where the "freezing" part in the death subroutine was, but I couldn't find it. Doing it manually either crashed the game, or worked a little bit. By that, I mean they froze as long as they weren't already loaded into the SST (ie. nowhere near on screen yet).

I'm sure I'll work something out though.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I must say, though, there's something I don't like from this mod, and that's Sonic's graphics. =\

I think it would have looked better just leaving the Sonic 2/3 graphics alone, Sonic's feet don't look too good when walking (for example, you can clearly see both of his soles when walking, which would mean both shoes are slighthly facing to the camera?). Plus, the green eyes look a bit amateur-ish, with just one shade of green (which might be too bright for the way it's used, by the way).

The sprites in the original games featured a great use of each of the color tones for the shading, and that's something sprite edits seem to lack, usually.

Also, is it me or do those blue colors look a bit wierd when applied to Sonic 3's graphics?

20. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well the colour palette was a bit limited as you know, otherwise I would have used more shades on the eyes. The blues are actually the same as on S2, but I'm gonna be changing them to S3 colours. I really wanna make my own sprites, but until I canbe arsed doing character mappings, which seem to take forever, I'm not going to bother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.