don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Apparently some fringe fans are saying that those who say 06 is terrible because of its glitches are hypocritical for praising Mania despite it's glitches.

Oh lordy :v:

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Not to mention 'glitches' seems to be such a broad term people use to describe every horror that Sonic 06 presents to the screen, when really people should be saying "there are glitches, amongst 600 other design and gameplay issues-". Meanwhile, Mania's glitches are literally just that- some minor glitches that can be fixed.

At least it's not as bad as the "shut up people, ALL GAMES HAVE GLITCHES FFS" comments I loved reading when Mighty No 9 launched as well as expected. ;)

3. So if a fringe is implied to be like an edge of something like say, an island, does this mean we can ex-communicate the people saying this?

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    This just in, BUG Update: (Switch) the OS button delay for the home, power, and screen shot function seems to be even worse when you have an active download than using them in portable mode without a download.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    If a new 2D game by Team Mania is to happen (which surely it will if SEGA likes money) then what character(s) would you like to see added?

I think Amy should be added, but I would want to see her play like the main cast, with the ability to spinjump and spindash. I find her Advance moveset dull, with the only really appeal of it being an intentional difficulty cap.

It would be cool if Metal Sonic was playable too, but it might be hard to implement a villain.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think a theoretical Amy should play like she does in the E-122 Psi hacks. She should play differently from the main cast though.

But ya I want to see Metal Sonic. Maybe he went rogue or something. Who knows.

Also on another note was any one else secretly hoping the Startdust speedway battle vs Metal Sonic would have used different robots for different characters? I would have loved to see Metal Knuckles and Tails Doll again. Unrealistic? Maybe. But we got Fang, Bark, and Bean and who expected them beyond those posters?

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Return of the insta-shield except this time the hitbox is slightly larger because hammer.
    I doubt there would me a hammer button, because so far every character has only had a jump button and various directions to work with.

Also super-peelout for Metal Sonic because that's another move just sitting there for the taking.
    It also makes sense because it's from the same game as Metal Sonic.

8. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Hahaha, so true. Loved when Homer jammed Classic Sonic into it at the end!

I'm honestly really worried that Mania won't get a sequel. I can see an indignant Iizuka making a case against it, as a one time anniversary thing, and that people won't come back for seconds. It's true Sega likes money, but then again we don't have the Taxman's S1, S2, or SCD available on consoles despite them being the definitive versions, with critical acclaim. Also, where the hell is S3&K, what perhaps most consider to be the best of the classic trio? If Forces fails too bad, Iizuka could make the case that Mania, a $20 game overshadowed the $60 blockbuster, and as a result they lost out overall. I'm just saying I could see this happening, he is going to need an excuse after all...

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I think Metal Sonic alone just makes more sense, BUT & Knuckles should have changed it to Metal Knuckles.

10. serpx

serpx

Those are teenage children whom are also trolls. Don't waste your energy.

This forum is much more mature than a lot of other places -- there's a reason I've moved away from other sources of Sonic community engagements.

11. Burrobot

Burrobot

Any official word on the mysterious structure being built by Eggman in the crater of Lava Reef? It almost looks like an enormous Beam Rocket Mk. II, but it's never really explained.

[​IMG]

Anyone got any theories?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh no I wouldn't bother engaging them, I just saw a Twitter post explaining as such and thought it was funny.

Basically though, even if 06 had polish it'd just be a polished turd. Mania is more like a gem that has a couple scratches on it :v:

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    For me I would call that a success having Sonic Mania being viewed as an A-. If I was part of Team Mania, that would bring a smile to my face even though I know I would have to do better next time.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I thought it was Death Egg Mk2 ... and I was quite disappointed it didn't appear in the game :(

15. Burrobot

Burrobot

In all fairness, the public perception of Sonic may well change quite a bit with this game. Sonic has gone from 'mediocre at best, terrible at worst' to something of legitimately respectable quality. I have to admit, even though Colours and Generations were pretty good, I'd hardly call them worthy of anything higher than a seven or eight out of ten.

Ironically, while Sonic Team were busy re-finding their feet with the gameplay of the franchise (As well as rediscovering what made it so special), fans were busy producing high-quality, semi-professional fan games and demos. Fast forward to 2017 with Mania and Forces, and we can see that the mistakes of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Sonic Boom are only beginning to be recognised by Sonic Team (Yes, I am aware it was Dimps), while a team of professional devs whom happen to be Sonic fans are able to provide the experience many of us have been asking for for decades. Strange, really, but hardly unexpected. Maybe High Lord Iizuka will finally understand the core aspects of the Sonic formula... but who really knows?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^I wouldn't go that far yet, but this game at least for the most part killed the whole "Sonic was never good" mentality that was floating around. I think this helped remind people that Sonic was good and the potential is still there, they just have to find a way to keep it there.

Outside of a few design choices (and reused levels but whatever), most of it boils down to the same thing that affect every game development team, time and deadlines. Things slip through the cracks, some things go unfinished, some bugs sneak in. Outside of that they did a damn good job.

It was probably a good thing we got that initial delay. It might have been worthwhile to delay the game again, but then it'd be coming out at the same time as Forces and I doubt Sega would have allowed that to happen.

17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I was under the impression that it was a very nearby Little Planet? Is that not right?

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Inside the crater?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No there are those metal poles in the background that go unexplained. They look like rockets or something.

20. That's higher up, he's talking about this:
    [​IMG]
    I asked in the chat of Stealth's stream while he was on this act, but he didn't answer that one.