don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flygon

Flygon

Could try it out. Crazy thing is, if you had an Australian card, it'd probably work in US stores without a hitch. I don't know why AU cards are so leniant.

Anyway, I'm going to have fun not sleeping now. Good thing I don't have plans for tomorrow. :v:

Bonus title screen. But, yeah, no hax. Totally midnight.

2. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    I'm pretty sure credit cards just all use the same or at least very similar systems these days. I've used my Capital One card to buy Love Live goods on a Japanese-only website more than once. It's just individual retailers that can be picky about it. Nintendo, for instance, unfortunately.
    I mean, yeah, but that leaves the realm of convenience pretty thoroughly, tbh. I'll just be lazy patient and pick it up tonight.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'm very jealous :)

4. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    Amazon decided to tell me this morning that they couldn't ship my CE because it was ordered with a card that has since expired...Wouldn't it have been a good idea to warn me about this like a week ago? It's now estimated for arrival later in the week :colbert:

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Remember that you don't get charged until it is set to ship. I had a new bank card issued to me within the last 11 months, and just last week I realized it was still showing the old card number, even though I have the current one on file for my account payment method. I made sure to change it in order to avoid a situation like this.

6. Unreality

Unreality

My CE on Amazon UK says Arriving tomorrow - Shipping today. Has anyone actually had it dispatched yet? They're leaving it late..

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    First review has come in, it's a 9/10

http://playstationenthusiast.com/2017/08/14/sonic-mania-review-playstation-4/

Word of warning though, it reveals the order of the first two zones. Just in case you want absolutely no spoilers whatsoever.

A good start!

8. Dissent

Dissent

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yeah, don't look at the reviews themselves, I just had a zone spoiled, derp :v:

10. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I'm probably being dumb and can't do too much googling in work to find out: What's the difference between Opencritic and Metacritic?

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The Sonic Mania launch trailer is also up, but I'm scared to watch it in case it has spoilers :v:

12. Dissent

Dissent

Reviews seem to be exactly what I expected. The bigger a fan of the classics you are, the more you'll like it. The lower end of scores still gives it good marks but seem to criticize the 2D Sonic formula in general.

EDIT: JIM MOTHER FUCKING STERLING GAVE IT A 9.5 :psyduck:

13. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Oh snap, it released at midnight in Australia? I really hope that carries over to the US!

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Reviews here: http://opencritic.com/game/4493/sonic-mania?tab=1

So far overall score is 87. Also just a warning: some reviews have screenshots and/or details of unannounced zones.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    8.7/10 for IGN, pretty good going.

I think it'll average out at a high 8/10.

I looked at the first 30 seconds of the Launch Trailer and it does show unseen parts of announced zones. I don't know if it shows any unannounced zones, not going to check :v:

16. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Just saw the launch trailer.

Yeah, don't watch it LOL

Like, it's basically what I expected - the opening animation with some gameplay edited over some parts - and it looks great. Each individual clip is pretty short as well. But if you're looking to totally avoid seeing unannounced things then yeah don't watch it. Though I'm pretty sure you all were expecting that to be the case anyway. :v:

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk if this counts as a spoiler or not, but they changed Tails' carrying Sonic sprite. Remember the one where it looked like he had to rip a fart? Yup it's not as dumb anymore :specialed:

18. The lowest score according to OpenCritic is Polygon with a 7/10. If only they hadn't fired Nick Robinson, who'd been doing 95% of their Sonic Mania coverage and hyping it up the whole time, a week ago.

It's the 15th here in Australia, but I wasn't expecting the game to launch like this so I wasn't prepared for it. The guy whose Switch I'm borrowing is asleep, looks like I won't be playing until ~9AM.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Send me a link to Tails carrying Sonic, I need to see how they've changed it :v: . I was obviously right to bitch about it!

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not to get into the reasons why he was fired (don't want to get into that discussion on here), but he wouldn't have reviewed the game for Polygon anyway cause he wasn't a reviewer there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.