don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. CollectiveWater

CollectiveWater

First off, I'd say double-check to make sure your lappy meets the requirements. They're low, but I imagine there are still some machines (particularly ones still running Vista) that won't be able to. Do you have at least Windows 7, 2 gigs of RAM, and a video card that is DirectX 9.0c capable? If so, you should be good to go.

As for which controller, depends on your personal preferences/budget. Do you want to try to replicate playing this as if it was on the Genesis/Saturn? Do you want a more general purpose controller that you could also in the future use to play 3D games on a computer? Etc.

I think your best options would be, in no particular order:

1) An Xbox One, PS4, or Switch Pro controller ($45-70), based on which one you have used/like the most. (if you haven't used any, personally I'd recommend the Xbox One controller. And I'm saying that as someone who only owns a PS4 and Switch. Still think Xbox One is the best general-purpose controller for PC. If you get an Xbox One or PS4 controller, also make sure to get a Micro USB cable if you don't already have one.)

2) A Hyperkin Genesis controller ($17) if you want to feel like you're playing on a Genesis (build quality is different than a real Genesis controller but comes close enough, plus it's in new instead of used condition; this is also the cheapest option).

3) An original Saturn controller + Saturn USB converter for the best 2D gamepad/feel you could get. (You'd have to buy a used Saturn controller on eBay/etc. You can find original U.S. Model 2/Japanese ones in good to great condition for $20-30, and then the Saturn USB converter is $20. So it'd cost you about the same as an Xbox One or PS4 controller, but obviously only works with 2D games since it doesn't have analog sticks. It is the greatest 2D controller ever made, though. See listing results here and here.)

Hope any of that helps!

2. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Do you have a PSP and a Mini USB cable? If so, you can save on money and just use it as a DirectInput controller via Fusa Gamepad. Since I prefer D-pads for 2D games and wired controllers, it's how I'll be playing Mania. If Mania only supports keyboard and XInput controllers (such as the 360's) for some reason, you can use JoyToKey to have your controller emulate keyboard inputs. Another option would be to to use X360ce, which allows DirectInput controllers to emulate XInput ones.

There have methods to use several of the home console controllers as well (including the current ones), so you might want to consider using one of those. There are several resources that'll tell you how. If you don't own any, you can still buy them individually, but even the older controllers can be pretty pricey.

Of course, you can also look into some generic ones, such as Logitech's or cheaper off brand ones such as this (It feels great and was less than half the price of Logitech's wireless one when it was being sold). Just be sure to read the reviews before purchasing.

3. Is anyone going to try to phone-stream out?

4. My money's on an unlockable Amy Rose.

Also woot, it should be starting now!

5. Is there a stream somewhere? Or are we just waiting for news to come out the pipeline?

6. [nevermind, the guy wasn't for real]

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    This fellow seems to be livetweeting the panel, at least.

https://twitter.com/StevenThePage/with_replies

8. Thanks Mykonos

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Huh, so that Japanese note about the Hard Boiled Heavies was true.

That they betray Eggman

10. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    This guy is also livetweeting, with videos.

https://twitter.com/servbot_42/status/888954606264344583

Edit: Oh my god, they are showing off some hilarious bugs they recorded and kept. This is amazing, hahaha

11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I should have mentioned what type of controller I would prefer. Also my laptop has Windows 10 and 8GB of RAM, not sure of the video card but I'll check later, but hopefully I should be good regarding specs. As for the controller, I'm just looking for something with the D-pad as the dominant part of the left side, and the standard 4-buttons on the right side. I've never actually played classic Sonic with an actual Genesis/Saturn controller (please don't hurt me guys, I was born in 1995 but despite that I still grew up playing the classic games via Sonic Mega Collection), but when I play the classic games nowadays I use a Wii Classic Controller Pro (with one exception, I use a PS3 controller for Sonic CD because I have the Taxman remaster on my PS3).

CollectiveWater, you mention that I could use any controller of the current gen consoles with a PC game - what about past gen controllers? Is there a way I could use a PS3 controller? Or even a Wii Classic Controller? If not I'll probably end up getting one of those logitech controllers. I'd be fine with any controller that has the D-pad in the dominant position on the left side.

12. Chaos Rush:

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-GN6-Premium-Controller-Genesis/dp/B00HM3QAWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500779065&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperkin+genesis

https://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Saturn-Classic-Controller-Black/dp/B002BFVAV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1500779094&sr=1-1&keywords=retrolink+saturn

Seriously, either one of these is plenty good.

And if your computer is running Windows 10 and 8GB of RAM, believe me, you're almost certainly fine*. Mania can more or less run on a potato.

*assuming it shipped like that and isn't ten years old and upgraded like crazy.

13. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Special stage:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Special stage revealed! I will avoid describing it for you guys in the blackout.

https://twitter.com/StevenThePage/status/888958828384985089

15. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    [​IMG]
    it's fuckin GET BLUE BALLS meets sonic CD

16. Sinclair Strange

Sinclair Strange

Oh my God, that video of the Robotnik glitch was amazing and I'm really digging the look of that special stage. My hype levels are through the roof, the release date can't come soon enough!

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Holy fucking ahit

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Is that the god damned SATURN model!?

19. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    the new track (for special stage i suppose)
    https://twitter.com/servbot_42/status/888960295300767745

20. Confirmed that there will be an opening animation sequence like in Sonic CD; in-game "cutscenes" will be sprite-based.