don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Pengi

Pengi

Mystic Cave Zone is a mine stage. Adding actual mine carts to it would be a very logical way to give it a fresh spin.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'm quite shocked the blurry image of a new Zone has gone roughly ignored since its debut. Yes, it looks like crap, but it's still bread crumbs for us to feed off of. No attempted mock ups, no discussion, just nothing. Not even a picture. The general colors are yellow and blues so who knows what's going on there.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What was the blurry shot I never actually saw it. Yellows and blues though? Launch Base fits that bill pretty well.

4. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I never thought of it like that, but that is a good idea. There's a lot that could be done with Mystic Cave, especially by drawing upon the title and adding more "mystic" elements. And then of course, the Hidden Palace aspect from the mobile version could be expanded on too, by having more secret entrances to other Zones.

5. It was of a new zone, not a remixed one.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

It looks like the yellow thing is a gear or cog of some kind. At the moment I'm imagining some weird hybrid of Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride from Super Mario 64.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Chemical Plant. :v:

7. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Add me to the list of people who love Sandopolis 2.

8. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Launch base music... really, guys? You prefer that to Laberynt's? That thing it's the only that pushes me to finish the zone so I don't have to listen to it anymore. Also, it has a lot of go fast sections where the only thing you do is roll down, get up, get a cup of tea and come back later. Although that happens to a good couple of S3 zones, but at least with (way) better music.

Pseudo-edit: hell yeah, Sandopolis rules!

9. Haha :v: :v: no wonder everyone ignored that, is there any point in trying to work like that out, it's more like a troll :v:

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    The music for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 weren't made for specific stages, IIRC, Nakamura made tracks and they selected from that list which songs best fit which stage. So I don't think that song was made with any zone in mind.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I want to believe.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I hope not. We've had enough reference/concept art rehash. I mean there may be a reason these things never came to be.

13. Flygon

Flygon

I was about to ask why you hated the music, but then I realized that most people played the Mega Drive version.

The little fan-whatever inside of me would squeal like a little girl if the PC version music ever got any kind of reference, y'know!

14. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Heh, the way that picture is looks like a lost stage icon from the Sonic 2 & 3 level selects!

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Thanks! From the streamed feed, I couldn't tell what that thing was due to the angle. Straight on, that's definitely a cog. Wouldn't it be cleaver if it were called "Clockwork Zone" :v:

16. PaulyBFromDa303

PaulyBFromDa303

Pro-wrestler/Remix Musician Member
    Denver, Colorado
    Average Guys - 70% complete
    See? Right there. That's innovation. Looks like it's in the sky too. One of my favorite things about the series is all the crazy, physically impossible environments that you'd never see every day. Levels such as Mushroom Forest from Sonic & Knux, or Bingo Highway from Heroes. Imaginitive enough to the point where you start to think someone is on drugs. "Chili dogs" anyone?

I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with

17. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    When this image was first showed I decided to try and recreate it to get a sharper look at what it was, maybe something would have came of it, I was wrong, it pretty much just looks the same to me heh.
    Then I threw it to the side and left it for dead, now that the image has sparked back into interest I'd figured I'd share the recreation I made because why not:
    [​IMG]

On a side note: I rushed this, the colors aren't accurate, there was a lot of guess work going on, i got lazy on the right side, and I didnt really plan on sharing this. maybe someone else can get something out of it, idk.

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That jagged yellow form has me thinking it's an object overlapping some tiles. Seems too spindly to be a fixture of the environment. Maybe it's the leg of a machine.

This is unlikely because the colors are too homogeneous to be anything other than a tiny crop of something larger (unless the art is really boring), but the aspect ratio is close enough, so as a thought experiment, what if this was actually a full screenshot downsampled to ~6 PPI?

[​IMG]

That odd column of pixels in Sonic's particular shade of blue wedged into the angle of the yellow form got me thinking about it. It couldn't be a detail of the yellow form, but it's completely disjointed from the blue form above it, which makes it hard to imagine that it was just a super ambiguous incidental underlap with the yellow object. Probably not Sonic since it isn't centered in the image, though.

EDIT: Staring at both shots on the same page, the way the spike log in GHZ totally flattens out like the horizontal yellow bit at the bottom of the teaser has me believing it a little more. Taken as a whole, the blue may the the sky, the white may be clouds, and the yellow could be an underhang on an airship sort of like Launch Base's boss arena. There's no way they'd be dumb enough to give us a second Flying Battery though, right?

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Ha, Clockwork zone (beta name for Scrap Brain) my thoughts exactly.

Perhaps it's a zone which takes place on a new mysterious island high up in the sky, hence all the blue and white which represents clouds. Perhaps the gold-ish color is some kind of mechanism. Maybe this is Eggman's new base?

20. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    RE: The huge screenshot that I'm not going to quote
    --
    If the image is supposed to be a full pixelated screenshot instead of being a zoomed in crop of something, then to me it appears that based on the amount of blue and white to be something that takes place up in the clouds. Possibly Sky Palace Zone, because the yellowish-brown structure reminds me of S2 HPZ. It will be a later level in the game, filled with DIMPS pits for difficulty purposes.