don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Every time I see you post in this topic, I just can't help but think that you're destined for something greater than rebuilding a failed Sonic game from 1996. Like this is all incredible, you can do so much more. So why this?

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Always great to see updates on this project - it's been really interesting following your progress over the years, and great to see the new Unreal 4 version beginning to take shape. Amazing to hear that no more graphics/effects recreation work is needed for the main levels now - congratulations on passing this milestone! = D

Re: the auto-generated texture system - that's some very snazzy functionality there. Mind-blowing that they had the ability to do this in the original game, and even more mind-blowing that you've managed to replicate it so faithfully in your Unreal 4 version of AXSX! = )

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Showcase Deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Introducing the Sonic X-treme / Project AXSX Research and Development Lab. XD
    Love the usefulness of the desk , but it looks like crap . anyways moved this to a new room recently.
    [​IMG]

5. You are absolutely incredible, man. I don't know how to properly express my gratitude; the fact that you've dedicated so much time to salvaging this game is amazing. Seriously, thank you for your continued efforts over the years!

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Ahh, so that's where the magic happens. Looking good!

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yep yep ! Magic is happening so much in "the LAB"

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase Deleted

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    So yeah , I have a lot of ideas for Level layouts. But, I'm also on the look out for ideas which I can expand upon! If anyone is interested in sharing any level layout ideas that they've had for their "2D" tile based fangames or just ideas in general. Please share them here!
    Keep in mind that AXSX is meant to play and feel similar to the 2D classics but in 3D, so 2D layouts are perfect, I can take the 2D layouts and or parts of them that are interesting and add 3D gameplay elements to them.
    Anyone interested just post em here! I'll make a new credits section dedicated to Level layout concept artists. Also I probably wont keep any visuals from the layouts, so for example if you have a jungle layout it may end up being used in a completely new environment like Death EGG for example.
    Remember, I'm looking for fun and not visuals!

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

I have had this rather large drawing lying around for a while. The idea is the tubes lead to (and from) separate crystal cave sections into the outside clearings. The following image is the small-size composition, but it may take time to load:
    Direct link to the main drawing:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqr8214kjs9b9uj/Jade_Jungle_Zone_Act_1_Layout_TRY6%28success%29.jpg?dl=0
    Other much rougher sketches of different sections:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a rough concept:
    [​IMG]

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wow synchronizer a very solid set of ideas here, how long did that take to plan and sketch from concept to final concept? how come you never made this stage become a reality in your own project ?
    In the top large sketch the tubes work similar to the tubes found in Sonic CD's Star Dust Speedway I take it (looking at the one with the spring lol). also I'm not sure where you mean the stage has caves and open areas.
    Anyways thanks for sharing this with me, its very CD like in layout and I likes me some CD! lol I don't know if ill use this or aspects from it or not. But a Huge thanks for sharing !
    I'll make a space in the Credits for you as a level layout concept artist just for sharing these used or not.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Eww forum issue cause double post.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase Deleted

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

Thank you!

I was always very occupied with school-work and hadn't tried to make a Sonic fan game or hack really. I probably could, but I think that I would rather try building my own original game. I could still use the drawings for something in the future (Sonic or not), and considering that you said yourself that the visuals wouldn't be taken, I am not concerned. Believe it or not, I must have made those drawings close to ten years ago!

1> Yes, those tubes are stardust speedway inspired. Some of them are locked and a switch must be found to enter. Some are one-way.
    2> I never drew the open/cave areas, but the thought was that some tubes or hidden passageways would lead into a completely different area with a crystal cave aesthetic, and there would be passageways back into the main area. In other words, there would be two levels in one, where you could weave back and forth between them.

3> I also abandoned the music I had in mind for the stage, as it wasn't my style anymore / I improved beyond where the tune was going when it comes to music, but it's still an interesting experiment I suppose:
    https://soundcloud.com/synchronizerman/jade-jungle-zone-ver-23

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Very cool man ! And yeah, believe it or not I actually was planning a stage called Dark Falls Zone where you can go between a surface area and an underground area very similar to what you had planned for your map,(although we'd be going from above to below instead of left to right) I took inspiration from Quartz Quadrant zone for the idea initially but wasn't planned to use any tubes to transition. I like your idea of tubes and may add that into Dark Falls Zone. ( yes I know this was not an original zone from Xtreme, this is a fan game so yeah I can get away with adding some of my own ideas other than following the original game's.)

This isn't Dark Falls Zone, but it will be worked into it, Parts of the level will be a Vertical race to the bottom. It'll be set inside an underground cave with a waterfall theme.
    Fear not! There will be plenty of ramps and loops to go in to the level.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pawNmPAchg4

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

That's neat; I remember the video from a while ago. Anyway, hopfully the drawing will be of some help/ I've been following this project for quite a while, so it's interesting to see all the progress that you've made.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    This year's Winter demo. Enjoy ! Merry X-Mass and Happy Holiday? Wait no Xtreme demo this year?! OMG You Suck Andrew!!
    [​IMG]

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    ShowCaseDeleted

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase Deleted