Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

246 vote(s)
    83.7%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

Not going to lie, I also didn't give a shit about it closing until now.

Actually, I still don't give a shit. It doesn't sounds like a lot of interesting stuff went on in there recently.

2. Retroman

Retroman

That's sad :( I don't know why I feel that way, but I know the feeling when you have to pull the plug on something.

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That's a bit of a short-sighted view - it's the wealth of unique information that's been posted there in past which means it merits preservation, not anything that's going on currently. If the plug's pulled before all that is archived it'll basically be lost to time - at least if a backup can be grabbed before then, it'll exist for people to sift through and allow any interesting unique information to be gradually archived on the Retro Wiki.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Still working hard on AXSX assets!
    Currently sitting at 23960 Modular block shapes, each with 2 UV sets. 1 UV for textures and the other for light maps if we so chose to use them. ( a kind of futureproofing so blocks can be used in other future sonic projects )
    [​IMG]

And as you can see various loop types can be produced. This block set here is Loop block set B, UV_Variation_2(Bv2) out of A,B,C, and D which allow 4 different loop types. ( each loop Group has 2 UV variations for the Visual UV texture. ( so that's 8 sets of blocks for loop flexability) with Av2 Bv2 Cv2 and Dv2.
    and keep in mind many shapes can be produced with each block set. (Loop block sets are there for maximum creative flexibility without having to go back into a modeling package)
    [​IMG]

This screen shows a random modular Loop block cluster which allow for quick copy pasting into levels, The level layout artist can than delete blocks off the main shape to create a normal looking loops or swap sections of the loop out, for example: the bottoms and top clusters can be swapped to create a loop orientated to accommodate an upside down rotated, or side ways rotated play area for a level. ( arrows show UV map direction)
    [​IMG]

And these next 2 images shows a upside down Loop made by moving blocks starting with the above pictured loop. ( also fisheye applied here with 2 custom textures)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for this next image, I applied an aditional random animated texture that I made ( making 2 count of textures for some blocks)
    Anyways ... this means blocks can allow individual textures( shaders) for each face up to 6 different textures(shaders) per block.
    [​IMG]

I'm now at the point where I don't think we need any new core block shapes. I can start to make clusters out of the base block shapes to make assets like slopes and other level geometry.
    Holy bat shit folks, that means the real fun stuff begins here ! ( level layouts)

5. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    You have no idea how much I need this in my life. :specialed:

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Great to see work's still progressing on this - exciting to hear that you're almost at the stage where you'll be able to start building level layouts! = D

Out of interest, how many different core block shapes have you had to create to get to this point? I'd imagine there are an absolute ton!

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    23960 Total blocks, But there are duplicates because many are flipped versions of the same block, because when if we were to rotate a block in engine, it would than cause the uv's to not be aligned properly with the rest of the level geometry, So I had to rotate the blocks in the modeling package and redo the uv alignments manually block by block. I do have a shader that could do all of that but it does not play so nice when it comes to applying it to a level that is finished in the optomasation step where all the blocks are combined into a single mesh. There are also some uv alternate duplicates of many blocks as well.

To answer your question, I have no idea how many core block shapes we have here. To name a few categories, we have : Various angled flat plane blocks, many types of slope blocks, loop face angle blocks, varous cube shaped blocks, odd shaped corner blocks to form a sort of a quorter pyramid shaped ramp with slopes on 2 sides on it, inverted versions of the previous block, and other specialty blocks to tie together spacific situations that I have in mind.

8. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Excellent work.

9. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Nice to see an update

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    We're also transforming the (little used) Project AXSX website into a Sonic Xtreme information and resource center, Where you'll be able to find just about everything related to Xtreme that we know of to date. You'll still be able to get AXSX news and information as well in the AXSX section of the website and forums.
    Its got a good ways to go before its opened.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Doing Stuff.
    To replace Senn's site right? thats good to hear.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah I suppose . Although the site has been around for awhile now, I haven't really made many updates there cause of the huge user base here, so I've been updating here.
    After the site is done , I'll concentrate on posting most updates there.

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Recap time (Again)! but now with some pics showing a few results of what was talked about in the past.
    Actually I lazily copied and pasted it over from my forums here: http://www.sonic-xtreme.com/forums//viewtopic.php?pid=7225#p7225

Every block for AXSX had to be prepared in a specific manor, each having 2 UV sets, 1 for visual texture and the second UV set for UDK's light mapping functions. I don't know if we'll use light mapping for AXSX, The plan is to reuse the blocks for other Sonic projects in the future which may use the lightmaps.( a sort of future proofing)
    Also each block has its own material ID per face.(meaning each face can get a new texture assigned per ID up to 6 ids to a block)
    All the slope angles are all pre set so that we wouldn't need to fuddle around with re-producing slope face angles each time one is needed.

Using the completed blocks we can build quick level cluster templates to form loops, hills, walls, similar to what had been done with the genesis games using tiles. We can than re-use the cluster templates to form level layouts by cloning them. But unlike the Genesis games, a cluster's textures can be re-assigned on the fly.

Here is a blank loop cluster formed from my Loop, slope, and standard cube sets.
    The default cube texture is an alignment texture which was used during the UV mapping procedure when the blocks were being made.
    [​IMG]

Pictured below are some base wall clusters which were tossed together.
    The secret room behind bars was quickly produced by moving some of the blocks back deeper ( for the back wall) and than cloning others from within the same block cluster to form the side walls, floor, and ceiling of said secret room.
    Texture materials were tossed on randomly to give a general look and feel of possible level aesthetics.
    [​IMG]

Micro cluster template to make larger clusters.
    [​IMG]

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I love the system you've got set up. I can't wait to see what you do with other projects using it.

15. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Heya guys ! I have some Bad news and some good news !

AXSX has gotten so far along to the point that we could have called it a near finished sonic engine with almost everything one could want from a Sonic engine. except for some game breaking bugs.
    The bad news:
    Issues relating to Unrealscript's limitations, and the shoty collision system that wont allow us to rotate the collision cylinder with Sonic's pawn causes gameplay issues that are game breaking when world rotations are in effect. So unless we had a full legal version of Unreal 3 with exposed source code to fix the issues, they would never be fixed.

The Good news:
    AXSX is being ported over to Unreal 4 As we speak, it'll be a bit slow but the migration of assets is well underway, thank god that I don't have to build assets from the ground up this time around except for Materials.
    I guess this could be considerd Bad news as well because there wont be any releases for quite some time.

I'm sorry guys....... To be honest this just makes me want to CRY because we were so far along.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

FML and FU2 Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I feel bad for you guys. This is the kind of thing I always worry about. I fear I'll try to implement a cool idea only to find out that I have to twist the middleware into a goddamn pretzel to maybe get it to work. Chin up man, you've come this far already.

17. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Well, one could hope that the new engine will allow you more freedom, so there's that, at least. Godspeed, sir.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

Make sure that Unreal 4 actually allows you to do what you need it to do.

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wouldn't this mean at least part of SonicGDK is being ported as well? This was built on that, right? It's been too long for me to say.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    No Sonic Gdk won't be ported.