don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Well that's exciting. They got all the preamble out of the way so hopefully they can do some really neat stuff now. Really good that Megadrive became a two-parter for now, since writing wise I was honestly a bit underwhelmed with this (probably because the pagescans spoiled me) even though art wise this was *fantastic.*

Yeah that's... really weird. Not confusing at all to have a comic and its successor both labelled #1. #1 of what? It implies the next level is its own one-shot. That's not confusing at all!

Just wait until this becomes a series (which it damn well better, it's got too much potential). You'll probably have some weird name to kick off the serialization, or "reboot" it as Sonic Megadrive again, or find some other SEGA-related product to call it (32X? ( ?° ?? ?°) ). Either way, either THAT will start with its own #1 and work from there, or you'll have Sonic Megadrive start with #2 or some other number past that.

IDK how the business side of this works but this seems really silly. Maybe before they release the second comic they'll fix the numbering when they realize what kind of hole that puts them in.

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    To be honest, I'm okay with this. Whether CD happens before Sonic 2, or after 3 & Knuckles isn't a big deal. The only time it grinds my gears is when it's lumped either in between Sonic 2 and 3, or sandwiched in between the Sonic 4 episodes. Either way, I'm hoping to pick up a copy soon. Shame Amazon.co.uk don't seem to want to stock the physical comics..

Edit: Okay, I'm very stumped. Is there actually a way to buy a physical copy of this in the UK yet? All I'm finding are Digital downloads (not that that's a problem, I'd just like something for the shelf!)

3. Titan

Titan

UK
    I would like to know this too! I do have a comic shop in my town that stocks the Archie comics, but it would seem they haven't got this yet, if they are planning to =S (I suppose I could just ask...)

4. I did my part and bought Mega Drive at my local shop. Pretty sweet comic, can't wait for the sequel in November!

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm actually ok with this variant, in fact I kind of like it more than the original. The JP Sonic game box arts had a lot more white in them anyway so this looks closer to the source.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    When was the last time an Archie Sonic issue sold out like this? Hope SoJ is paying attention to Classic's success!

I also highly prefer the white bg version. It makes the characters pop more and feels more like the original box designs.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean all they need to do is look at the sales of classic merchandise. Classic Sonic sells better, but it's Japan so they're stubborn.

I'm hoping for a comic subseries to come out of this though.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I just want the "classic character looks cannot be used except for critical birthday years" mandate to be lifted so they can be freely used in the comic.

But I wouldn't mind a 3rd comic spin off with classic too, that'd be nice.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They've been using Classic Sonic a lot more lately. Hell even modern Sonic has taken a step back due to Boom. I'd say Classic and Modern are used almost equally now a days.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Y'know, reading the Off-Panel, I'm surprised they didn't go for a Sonic Crackers reference by having Sonic hold onto the Ring and realize he can't let go, then when Tails gets his wish he also one that links up with Sonics. Then topping it off with a Knuckles Chaotix joke...

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    So much Classic love right now. Feels great!

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Bought one at a local comic shop a last week. As it was the first Archie Comic I've picked up since a little after issue #200, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Y'know, this crossed my mind too. Especially with + - Amy saying things like "I'll pick up any rings you drop!", implying some sort of partner/support character gimmick.   Some of the panels introducing the "zones" also were reminiscent of some of the classic levels' concept art.

16. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I'm not sure if anyone else has thought of this, but Sonic Universe #87 could be interpreted as a Taxman Sonic 2 adaptation.

17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Holy shit, you're right.

[​IMG]

It's so self-aware, it hurts:

[​IMG]

It's amazing how open SEGA is with allowing what can and can't be in the comics nowadays. Remember back when the Genesis arc had Sonic be 90% in his Classic design, yet SEGA was still so petty that they still made him have green eyes?

18. Where are the official mandates on that?

19. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    it's fairly obvious but I'm pretty sure Nixus is
    A shape shifted Naugus. The crystalized Omega and the previous earc with Naugus having the Master Emerald shards all point that way.

I've looked around but there isn't an actual list, it's all just people throwing out their own ideas of what the mandates are without linking any source. It's frustrating. :specialed:/>

Edit////////////////////

Ian Flynn says:
    Source: http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7635#p401725

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub