don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The game loads and unloads geometry regularly. If you bypass the trigger points, you can end up on invisible geometry quite easily. The entire stage could be in there, but just unloaded. I've backtracked from that same point in the full game.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hmm, so its a build later then E3 but earlier then the final build and has Knuckle's double jump glitch? interesting, if and when the Wii-U ever does get cracked open it'd be a good idea to look at this demo too.

3. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

Just finished the Sonic & Amy bit and there's a huge part of the level we can explore for one second before the game fades out to the titlescreen. I wonder if we can somehow bypass the trigger to end the demo?

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Isn't their a glitch that allows sonic to boost if you spindash then hit start as you are releasing? maybe that can be utilized.

5. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

That exploit works in the demo but is hard to pull off. Will try more later, currently trying to reach this:
    [​IMG]

6. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    I decided to give the demo a try, and started off with the Sonic+Amy adventure stage. At the part after you throw the robots at the crystal guardian, where they have to use the enerbeams to pull a pair of switches to move some pipes into place, Amy simply disappeared on me so I couldn't continue. At least she reappeared after I killed Sonic in the toxic waste.

I also noticed something less gameplay interrupting but still odd. If you turn the voice volume all the way down, the music volume still ducks when someone would be talking.

Overall, I don't hate what I played, but it's not enough to make me want to get the full game, especially with the noticeable lack of polish. (And that's just going by my experience with the demo, not taking into consideration all the additional frustrations and bugs I've heard others have experienced.)

7. Retroman

Retroman

okay, moderators/thescarredsun. The sound joke is getting annoying. You wouldn't know how many people you've pissed off with this sound.

It was funny only for a day, and then it sucks now. I didn't came here to listen to a sound and have people give me a weird look. I came here to read discussions about a failed Sonic game.
    Please remove it since it derails the actual debativeness- Oh just remove it. Thank you.

8. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

Oh yeah, on the speed stage, if you jump out as Knuckles and just make your way across the ocean you might find what I found, two lonely loops and a ramp sitting in the sea. I found it trying to bypass the trigger that ends the demo only to realize that you can't and you just fall through the water endlessly (though your camera remains above the water so you can explore the environment like I did).
    [​IMG]

I thought that was pretty amusing. I'm not really sure why they are there, you can't reach them or see them in the normal game. Quite a weird leftover.

9. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    'Ol Nessie out in the distance

Finding leftover dev crap can be rewlly interesting. This whole game just wreaks of leftovers. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some alpha content that was left in the game back when it was still cryengine material would still be there; it'd be hilarious to have maybe an entire section of level still IN THE GAME that looks LOADS better than the rest of it.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    More/less, yeah:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You should post everything else you found here as well Andrea.

Ooooh man I wished the Wii-U was cracked, I would love to see what you tech. guys would find in this game.

11. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    The library system around here has been on the ball recently with getting new games, and one of their less-exciting acquisitions has been Rise of Lyric. I'm considering renting the game just to try it out, and maybe play it with my sister when she's back home, but that depends on one point; does the multiplayer require a Pro Controller? If it does, I don't have one, and it'd be much more boring playing the game by myself.

EDIT: I got the idea to check the eShop's listing for the game, they're supported.

12. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

Well, I figured I wouldn't post so many shots of the same thing since it doesn't look that interesting from the other angles. I felt I overdid my post on TSS about it and didn't want to do the same here. I haven't really found much else apart from this which is just nothing:
    http://youtu.be/sO5jcWTy24I

13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I can't believe there's so many people moaning about the noise.

I just had to post this here, I found this hilarious and hope you will too.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXedoX2yihY[/media]

14. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

That is wonderful. Half-off topic, but since we're talking about BRLRLRLRL at the moment:
    http://youtu.be/8skWQ1LlNqk

Edit:
    Okay, so I run an archive of Sonic Boom concept art since SEGA is rapidly taking down the stuff that leaks out, 200+ images at this point. 11 new ones just now:
    http://imgur.com/a/i1YpZ#207

[​IMG]

At this point in time designs were almost final, but Sonic and Knuckles had belts.

15. The Egyptian image on the lower left is a depiction of Akhenaten making an offering to the sun disc. It's really quite unusual that they would use that as a point of reference as all art from the Akhenaten period deviated greatly from Egyptian canon.

16. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

With this art dated from the same artist as before we can confirm a few things.

In 2011, the project was "Sonic Origins" and in 2012 it became "Project Apollo". Most likely that was where the TV series got mixed into the same thing?

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member

Interesting. The fact it was called Sonic Origins at one point reminds me of when Sega put out this poll to gauge interest in a Sonic prequel, along with questions presumably to make preparations for Sonic Generations.

Do you think it was a scrapped concept that was eventually given to BRB that eventually got shifted into Boom?

18. Andrea Ritsu

Andrea Ritsu

I think that Big Red Button was on this from day one, but that it went through a lot of phases.

19. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    So depressing... I can imagine some of these artists had big dreams with the ideas of what this could become. A good reminder that at the end of the day, a project's only as good as a publisher lets it be.

I really, really hope we get a documentation on what happened with this project in its entirety. I'm sure when people's NDAs expire, some will be GLAD to say what was going on.

I think the Sonic Boom Jimquisition hit the nail on the head with so many points on how SEGA just tries to re-invent the wheel before it's been really made, and in this case they kind of did that for a single game several times in one go. Sonic Origins? Project Apollo? All those Echidna statues? No way in hell, bugs and graphical hemmorages aside, what we got was the intention from the get go with this project. Chances are idea after idea was pitched, maybe accepted, then torn down if accepted at all until what was intended to be a reimagining turned into an odd deviation off the norm + PS2 style gameplay.

20. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I remembered at about 3 in the morning today that the Wii U demo was available. Decided to give it a shot, because who needs sleep :v:

To put it in perspective: I enjoyed Sonic Heroes (though it was one of my first Sonic games, so there's some nostalgia going on there). I enjoyed Shadow, in its own weird way. I enjoyed Sonic 2006, probably to an unhealthy degree (in the "So bad it's good" kind of way). I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed a lot, Werehog included - It's probably close to the top in terms of my favourite 3D Sonic games. I even enjoyed Lost World at first, even though the level design promptly ruined everything after the second zone. On top of that, PS2-era platformers are definitely still a guilty pleasure of mine.

Having said all that? Sonic Boom was just... bad. Usually, even with bad games like '06 or Sonic 4, I'll genuinely enjoy them at the time and start picking them apart later. The Boom demo started to fall apart for me more or less right after gameplay started.

I don't really have much to say in terms of details that haven't been said before - The camera's a disaster (I had it abruptly change angles on me and get me killed during the Sonic/Amy underwater section), the combat is slow and boring (even moreso than the Werehog was, imo), there's no hit invulnerability time (or if there is, it's stupidly short - I got cornered and lost almost all my rings on the boss because the moment I got out of the stunned animation I'd just get hit again), and at one point I got stuck on a scrap metal chest just for jumping near it.

Considering everything that's already been said about Boom, I wasn't expecting something great by any means. I expected it to be mediocre, or maybe even something like Sonic '06 in terms of sheer broken hilarity. This was just... bland.