don't click here

Sonic Boom TV Show Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JaxTH, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I'm pretty much done watching this series. It's so stupid and not in the good way. I gave it 6 episodes, and not one impressed me.

Written by writers.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That was actually from one of the old episodes. One of the better ones from the era, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANk8xlsp1pQ

Back when the show actually tried to do interesting things instead of, "How can we make kids watching this show incredibly retarded in the span of 22 minutes?"

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hey, you gave it a solid go and didn't quit out after 1 episode. its cool at least you tried.

4. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    If we got more fun banter like Knuckles and Sonic talking like snotty tards this would be so much more bearable as a show. Instead we're getting dangerously close to LOLSORANDUM only the humor is flatter than the animation. Other shows like Tron and Green Lantern had more dynamic animation that flowed so much nicer than this. Hell I'd even say the third season of Beast Wars in 1996 had better choreographed action.

5. eighttailedfox

eighttailedfox

Canadia Land
    Project Maelin
    Episodes 5 and 6

Despite being stupid, Knuckles really clicks as the "stupid" guy these two episodes.

Robotnik is the saving grace of this show. He really is. Even if his plot points are being re-used every time.

It's nice to see Amy get some development.

6. DumbLemon

DumbLemon

I originally thought that the Sonic Boom TV show was going to be the only good thing to do with Sonic Boom. However looking at the last 4 episodes has me in doubt. The latest episodes are suffering from bad writing and poorly executed jokes. Such as Knuckles trying to read. It would have squeezed a chuckle out of me if they did not add in the "Oh wait, I can't read.". It's continuity is broken as well. Knuckle's knows how to play a piano but does not know how to read. He even shows his skill to read in the first episode. When Knuckles try's to get Sonic as his sidekick he reads something from a piece of paper, has no glasses on while reading it and has a pen in his hand. This suggests he can read and write but Episode 5 disagrees with it. At the moment I don't think very highly of Sonic Boom. It is definitely not worth waking up at 7.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I really wouldn't look into continuity at all with the show. Trying to make sense of it is a recipe for disaster, especially since the studio behind the show have said that the show has no real continuity and they're just encapsulated to their little 11 minute blocks.

Also, at the end of the day, it's still just a kids show so expectations shouldn't be anywhere high (a kids show drawing inspiration from Adventure Time and Regular Show specifically I might add.) Yeah, it's a crappy bar to say "It's for kids, so of course it sucks" but that's the vibe I got from Sonic Boom Wii U as well. BRB basically phoned it in.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    In this show and the WiiU game even, I do actually like Sonic and Knuckles' interactions. They rarely talk in the regular series anymore. I like the kind of snarky, yet friendly relationship they have, like they both shit on each other but they're still friends.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I think that's basically how Sonic and Knuckles' friendship should be going forward: friendly rivals or just ordinary bros that knock each other. Shadow's basically already filled the lone wolf maverick role (and due to his popularity, he will not go away.)

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I think you're trying to make too much sense of a series that doesn't give a crap about making sense.

11. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9tGhVLE8k

I can't be the only one who thought of that

12. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Yes, it is kind of cheap to use the "it's a kid's show" excuse. However, for a more accurate comparison, I think the series you are looking for is Teen Titans Go or Uncle Grandpa. On the other hand, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, hell even Mystery Science Theater 3000 ("... Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show; I should really just relax.'") had some, if widely varying, levels of continuity. (I would have added Wander Over Yonder, but that's more of a promise with season two.)

Having said that, expecting Star Wars G-canon continuity from a series that cares very little about what order in which you watch the episodes is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Regardless of that fact, Dr. Eggman has been the comedic focal point quickly transforming into a black hole, on the precipice of becoming the humour singularity as far as this series is concerned. It's become apparent that you can't pair him up with another character and hope that other character is going to shine in the comedic timing department, because that's a contest that they just can't win.

Mike Pollock showin' his veteran voice-acting cred, yo!

Agreed.

Would you go so far as to say Reboot was more dynamic than this, especially in later seasons?

As flawed as that series is — and yes, I am going to make that comparison yet again — Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures has had the better action sequences and the crew behind it actually seem to know how to handle the camera beyond an Eggman fourth-wall gag.

13. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Watched the episodes last night with my 8 year old and 4 year old boys.

They seemed to enjoy them but Kai (8 year old) said as soon as we'd finished watching them both 'they weren't as good as the last two daddy' lol

Still enjoying it but agree it seems like the writing is bland...

14. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I watched the episodes yesterday and it was OK. Dr. Eggman is like King Dedede in the Kirby Anime.

While the series hasn't show a lot of variety, I prefer to wait more chapter before I comments that. And it's unfortunate the changes made to Knuckles character.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm glad I can watch a mindless cartoon without thinking "HEY! Knuckles can't read in this episode but could in episode 1?!"

16. DumbLemon

DumbLemon

I guess I had expectations a bit too high. Looking back on the thought about Knuckles' ability to read, I guess it was a little nitpicky. If I was a bit younger from now I can see myself liking this. A younger audience could find the humor funny, the animation is pretty good and it mostly has good plots.

On a side note, I wonder if Shadow will show up in the TV show like he did in Rise Of Lyric.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sometimes I read this thread and have to think of this:

[​IMG]

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm with Mykonos and DS on this one. This is a show that's better viewed when you turn your brain off and not try to make sense of it.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    You started a thing at SSMB:

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Isn't that most regular cable TV anyway?

I'm actually surprised people are complaining about the lack of canon or consistency in the show when it was pretty clear from the start that the cartoon was going to clean slate each episode and only keep basic character relations, and even mess with those some too.

I think I'm inclined to side with DS there. I know some of us are fans but scale it back some. We already have enough proof from Sega themselves they aren't so serious about the brand's consistency either.