don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Retroman

Retroman

White Acropolis needs to be big scale-wise. It's cramped. Perhaps smoothing out the walls a bit, and add ramps and less trees.

I understand it's a platformer and with 06, it's like a bit of speed but a lot of platforming, while generations is both. I'd love for the level to include a zip tie when the snow section ends, to include maybe snow cave sections that you can choose, and each have a shortcut, filled with item boxes or enemies. Chaser's, Sonic 06 style would certainly add to it, kind of like scouts who found an intruder.

Apart from that, the other maps look better!

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Considering how he's done just that in the past (mod other people's mods), it seems fair. Although I'm sure he'd appreciate someone doing GIA for him.

Oh yea, I finally got this thing to work. Turns out it hated my save file that I tried to force into it. So I gave it a try without items and it's alright. The first two levels seem to work fine, that snowboard level though... Good lord, do not drift and do not boost or you'll be sorry.

3. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    He should edit the board physics for that level to work with it. Like how the board physics were edited to work with Holoska in the Unleashed Project.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Problem is that the board physics didn't work in 06, so who knows what would actually work on that level.

5. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Given who we're talking about here, and the amount of effort he's clearly willing to leave out of the project, I don't think courtesy is really an issue. If a stage isn't being handled well, nobody should be afraid to try their own hand and see if they can do it better.

6. Nemo

Nemo

Hey folks, I've been trying to extract and convert Sonic's animations so I can mess with them in 3DS Max (2012, 32-bit), and I've hit a big snag. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Used QuickBMS to extract files from bb3.cpk.
    2. Used Generations Archive Editor to open Sonic.ar.00, and extracted contents to a "Sonic" folder.
    3. Ran hkxcmd.exe and converted all .hkx files. Ended up with .anm and .skl files. Knew this was wrong but tried the later steps with them just to be sure.
    4. Removed the .anm and .skl from all the .hkx file names.
    5. Ran hkxcmd.exe and converted all .hkx files. Ended up with .hkx files, I'm assuming XML versions.

6. Saved the animations in an "animations" folder.
    7. Saved the chr_Sonic_HD.hkx in a "character assets" folder as "skeleton.hkx".
    8. Tested these out in Havok Preview Tool. They worked perfectly. Beautiful animation with no errors.
    9. Ran hkxcmd.exe and exported everything in the Sonic folder (which now contained only the animations and character assets folders and their contents) as a .kf file.
    10. Got about 10 warnings for each file, "Non-uniform scaling found while processing '[bone name'." Each file was however exported as .kf.

11. Imported chr_Sonic_HD.model into 3DS Max via the Model Import script. Worked great.
    12. Tried to import a .kf file. Got an "improper file format" error.
    13. Cried in a corner.

In a couple of videos I've seen, others don't seem to get this warning while exporting .hkx to .kf. Has anyone else run into this problem, or perhaps know a fix? Could my tools be screwed up somehow? That test with Havok seemed to indicate that they ended up as really nice .hkx files, so I'm assuming it's in the conversion.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

Step 1: Select the entire mesh (no skeletal components)
    Step 2: Freeze or hide the selection
    Step 3: Select all of the bones
    Step 4. Re-try importing the kf file.

8. Nemo

Nemo

Dude, you're awesome. Thanks a bunch for your help!

I think I can figure out how to bundle things together in Max for export at this point. It'll be a learning experience with a new program if nothing else.

Say, I've heard of Sonic Adventure Generations. Nice stuff. I can see how you spotted my mistake from miles away. xD

Addendum: Looks like many of my animations did come out distorted after all, either from the conversion to .kf or during the import into Max. I'm assuming there's no work-arounds, so I'll just get to manually correcting them.

9. Paraxade

Paraxade

If it comes out distorted, try importing the animation again. That usually tends to fix it.

10. Nemo

Nemo

Yeah, seems to be working. It can take several tries for each animation though, so it appears I'm probably not going to be loading them up en-masse into a single timeline. That would be an option for importing animations in Unity, but if each animation screws itself up and the one before it like it's doing, I might be better off doing it the hard way and exporting them one-by-one. This is the only way I can see it working anyway.

I'm still not sure how to export only an animation though, without all the unnecessary extras. I've seen other .FBX files that do that, but Max is totally new to me.

EDIT: Ah, it appears Unity uses a naming convention for adding new animations to characters. [email protected]. I'm still not exactly sure whether this prevents Max from exporting the whole thing or not, but that'll be answered tomorrow morning.

RE-EDIT: Got it working! I missed the Export Selected option in Max.
    Happy new year, everyone.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    "Whoaaaaa my heads spinning~!"

http://youtu.be/7Cnk9e2kMgo

God damn, imagine a mod like this with Oculus Rift support....

12. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Well since BrianuuuSonic decided to block me on Youtube and decides to lurk here, I figure I'll should tell him how to render GIA. Not like Dario's ModDB post didn't say anything about it either. Hint Hint.

1. Make a test first before doing high res rendering. Render it all out at a low res to test the Global Illumination and Shadows to get a good feel for how you want it to look. You don't have to have it be detailed since this is just a test to see how the colors will look ingame.
    2.After you get the results you wanted. Group all the meshes accordingly. That means little meshes that aren't a huge chunk of the stage don't need to be more than 256x256 texture size for them. Highest you should go for a group is 2048x2048 if you wanna be really detailed with it. This takes things and requires patience but it all pays off in the end and makes things much clear and neat and doesn't cost much on the performance side of things.
    3.Render the Shadows first to make sure they are correct since these take less time then the Global Illumination ones. (So make sure you have the correct settings from your previous attempt of the Light Maps ready if you are sure about them.)

If you crash which you likely can sometimes, it happens to us all. Render them by selections and not do them all at once. Render the 512x512 group first and see how that turns out and it if came out correctly then render the next one and export and check and see. You'll have less problems that way and won't crash as often. Since that seems to be the problem people have with rendering this.

It doesn't get much simpler than that. The settings all depend on how you want it to look. You just have to keep testing to get the results you want.

It just takes patience to do this kinda thing.

Also you can substitute Vertex Colors instead of doing Light Maps it works well. Its a not a great substitute for it but it can work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That has vertex coloring instead of GI its a nice substitute but it doesn't beat having a baked map to get things accurate. Its good for testing which I was doing for this level.

Not trying to be a jerk to the guy, but he needs to get out there and just learn it like most of us do. You get out what you put into it.

13. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Yeah that guy is a massive twat. He thinks he's hot shit because he followed a few tutorials.

EDIT: Now he's whining at me on YouTube for saying this. lel yu made doe

14. Falk

Falk

Brianuuu's work ethic on stuff is "OH MY GOD IT DOESN'T CRASH THEREFORE IT MUST BE FUN". Compare that to the methodology Dario+crew went through (now detailed in the three articles on moddb) and you'll understand why more than a few of us are a little annoyed.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I thought he was a massive twat from the get go.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Oh yeah, so Pyramid Cave (Modern) remix... wip. My first real attempt at something mostly rock-based, so I have Joshua Taipale and General Offensive helping me out. AND YES, this is for a mod, so it's relevant.

17. Nemo

Nemo

So I've managed to get everything working in 3DS Max, except one thing. The character's various parts are separated into multiple meshes. Not just shoes, gloves, eyes, and body, but each of those is separated into several random sub-meshes. In-game this separation causes Sonic to have a bloody great-big line right along the separations. I don't have much skill with 3DS Max. In Blender, joining the skinned meshes together is as simple as Ctrl + J. Everything I've tried in Max results in the skinning getting destroyed or distorted. Unfortunately, I can't find any way to port the model from Max to Blender and still preserve everything.

Does anyone know of either a .model import script that doesn't separate them all, or perhaps a step-by-step way to combine skinned meshes in Max?

Turns out my script wasn't quite the same as the one on this first page. A simple re-copying fixed it. Albeit, now I've got a ton of animations to manage all over again. xP

Addendum: Oh boy, now I'm having issues with scaling and orientation. Blegh, I'm gonna do some experimenting tomorrow. -_-

18. Arcieo

Arcieo

Adabat Adventure Pack mod

Did he learn something, how you think?
    http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IPBX0GD-paA

19. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    If he learned something then cool. I could honestly don't give a darn. He's finally attempting to try when someone finally points out crap to him. Good for him.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Visuals look nice, but that running segment at the start goes on way too long. That's like, what, a 3 minute quickstep section? It needs to be shorter, or have something to break the action up, or something. Otherwise it gets boring.