don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Oh yes, my Unleashed Sonic Mod has a few issues since the model uses its own skeleton and isn't rigged to Generations skeleton. So that mean it won't work in cutscenes at all. I'm working on a update for later next year along with my other things I'm working on. I'm using an IK rig later to make these animations better, but for now this was done with just good old bones.

Without a replaced animation.

[​IMG]

With my redone animation.

2. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Congrats on finishing your Unleashed Sonic model, Zoney!
    I'm glad that I got to help you fix some rigging issues (and get the double-mouth working) back in August.

Also, got any tips for replacing the animations in cutscenes? The last time I tried doing one, the game crashed, so I'd like to know exactly what you did to make them work.

P.S. - All of those articles Dario wrote for the Unleashed Project were a really good read (and I even learned a few things from them.)

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So has anyone had any success getting the 06 mod to work? I've routed the problem down to one file, but the problem is that file is the one that makes the enemies and stuff load I believe. Without it, only a few enemies load and the levels become impossible to go through due to the enemy triggers failing, but if I include the file the game fails to load.

Wouldn't be Sonic 06 without bugs right?

4. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works

Oh well for the cutscenes for the animations. I just exported out the animation and added the spline compression to it. Don't use any other type of compression that kill the game. They used a weird type of quantized compression. All you gotta do is get the right amount of frames for the animations so everything stays on time. Just don't put a skeleton or anything in there if it doesn't have it. Or else it will crash the game. Was trying to do that for my mod. But it reads it right from the player model though.

Nothing should honestly cause it to crash if you just export it out.

Check your mod priority? If you have more mods active you'll have to place them correctly.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've tried this now with every other mod inactive, which sucks because some I want to keep on but this mod is so haphazardly put together that it must be very precise, else it'll just blow up everything.

The problem appears to be with the #Application.ar.00 file in bb3 specifically. Removing it causes the game to load basically without the enemies, adding it causes the game to stall after the title screen.

6. Paraxade

Paraxade

Curious if anyone feels like drawing up some level layouts or concept art for an original Wave Ocean level? Or hell, even coming up with some level design or setpiece ideas? I'm interested in learning to model original stages but I need something to work off of. Wave Ocean should be pretty easy to model, especially since there's so many assets from 06 that can be reused.

7. Faseeh

Faseeh

I can come up with ideas and make some (bad) mockup art. (At the moment, I have literally no ideas for Wave Ocean, but I can think of it sooner or later)

I came up with set piece ideas for quite a number of things so if ya want me to send you a PM with what I've had ideas on, I can. =)

(also finally twilightzoney)

About the 06 mod, well, I really wasn't impressed with it but after seeing this, I have no interest in playing it.
    http://youtu.be/33mv4yDMbzM

also Frog Forest should be finally done in the next few days. I couldn't get GIA or Lightfields done, since GLVL was giving too much trouble and Melpontro and Dario couldn't do much about it. I did however do a fake replacement so oh well. I hope it at least looks okay and plays well. Frogs are a bit too much trouble in the limited time I have since the original models look really bad and new ones may need to be created. Of course, at this rate, I wouldn't call this version of Frog Forest final, but eh, something for Christmas.

8. Paraxade

Paraxade

Yeah sure, if you're interested shoot me a PM about it. The same goes for anyone else, the more the merrier.

What problem were you having with GIA? Dario wrote some about how to properly render it in his third Unleashed Project article, maybe take a look at that and see if it helps?

9. Faseeh

Faseeh

Haha, I didn't bother to make the GIA myself. Melpontro was helping me and well, texture all glitched up and then it didn't want to import. Then Sky tried and it didn't even import properly. So I have no idea what I'd do.

10. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Holy CRAP that was painful to watch. I really hate seeing what are actually somewhat interesting ideas (seamless transition from Wave Ocean to the Mach Speed section, making the 10-rings and 1-ups capsules that you can homing-attack like in 06) and an attention to detail (voice lines, UI/sound changes, fire shield giving immunity to sand damage) being wasted on this... thing. I can't even appreciate those little touches because of how badly the mod plays (and how unlikeable the creator seems to have become).

What I would've give to see this sort of thing done with actual competence...

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I just tried the 06 mod. It needs alot of work. Using ObjectPhysics as a path you run on is a terrible idea because if the player tries boosting, the path collapses instantly. Worse, there was no warning as to why this was happening. In SA:Generations, there's a scene in emerald coast that uses them in the whale chase. But in SA:Generations, there's an invisible SetRigidBody where the bridge is, so that boosting doesn't kill you. This causes the bridge to not break in the most convincing fashion, but honestly it is far superior to... this.

It took a game over or two before I realized that the no-boosting bridge was done on purpose. Even worse, the collapsing bridges in wave ocean have safety railings in the visual model. But these same railings have no collision. You just walk right through them. Immediately after this bridge section there is a dash panel that pretty much launches you to your death. The out of control timer expires right before you have to jump, and the camera doesn't spin around fast enough for you to see that there's even a platform section coming. A better solution would have been to place a spring there that gives the player some hang time while the camera spins around.

I got a little bit further than this but after a game over made me go through it again, I just shut the game off. And here I thought my mod was bad.

12. Falk

Falk

Just a suggestion, but if you wanted solely practice, why not take an existing level layout and 'reskin' it to Wave Ocean? The only visual geometry that would need to match up would be the stuff that corresponds to the collision mesh, and even then you could take liberties.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    WHAT'S WITH THIS GUY AND BUTTON HUNTS

14. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

On the subject of the Sonic 2006 Mod:

http://youtu.be/eWe0QO0UZ3w

This is basically everything you're missing.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, he seems to be faithfully porting the levels over, anyway. :v:

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    More than faithfully. The glitches and level design may actually be worse than the original. I know that it's unfinished, but like the original game, it's clear that it wasn't ready for public release.

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wow he even replicated the glitches, thats dedication! :specialed:

18. Faseeh

Faseeh

http://youtu.be/VEYRXUrH7Ok

FROG FOREST OUT.

TRAILER WITH RADIANCE BY FUNK FICTION. I LOVE YOU FUNK FICTION.

but yeah guys, I'm happy I got this done for now! I'll keep updating it and making it all cool and add frogs and all those stuff.

19. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnXndJM1PNM

Actual video coming in a few, I just had to record it when... this happened to the camera.

You really ought to have playtested this a lot more, even for a V1... Camera needs a crapload of work, there are ring droughts near a few critical checkpoints, cutting the trick ramp at the end short through stomping (which I did BECAUSE I saw things down there) makes the level unwinnable, one of the cannons literally kills you with no way out and some of the checkpoints just plain spit you out facing backwards when you respawn. There's even one (right before the parallel vines above the path near the end) that's visibly sideways, though I haven't died there yet so I don't know if it faces Sonic the wrong way there too.

(also you can't use bts/ats music in a trailer and expect me to NOT record your level)

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    I got the mod to load once, but now it does the endless loading glitch every time I try loading the level.