don't click here

Sonic Generations - Unleashed Project v1.0 Available

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    on cool edge with classic sonic, I have to loose the scate borad just to gat past the first whale.

2. This is awesome. I don't think more needs to be said.

I do have a bug report though. The draw distance on the grass in Savannah Citadel and the Tutorial level are very low. I can't think of other things off of my head that have low draw distance except for the springs in Cool Edge before the 2nd whale (the whale where Sonic actually runs on it). I recall that Rooftop Run had a lot of pop-in in the famous quickstep section though.

Here's a video showcasing the poor grass draw distance (try watching in original quality or 1080p in fullscreen mode for more clarity):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu5lKR25_Fg

Oh, and, is it just me, or does the camera feel a bit too close at times?

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Hey guys, to all complaints to the Bobsled being too hard too control...

I haven't actually played the mod yet, but I do remember the Bobsled being an absolute bitch to control in Unleashed. Maybe it needs to be tweaked a bit more, but if it's not "GO-EVERYWHERE THE BOBSLED" then it's fine by me.

Hell, I remember the reason why it was so hard for me to even try and get higher then a B rank in Cool Edge was because of that section. The Bobsled has always been hard to control. But, as said before, I have not played the mod. Take this with a grain of salt.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I actually find the bobsled harder to control in the mod than in the Xbox 360 version, but maybe that's just me. You don't fall off edges as easily, but at the same time you don't have a whole lot of control.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Isn't the bobsled a modified snowboard? if so, wouldn't just thinking that your controlling the snowboard section in CE correct the trouble your having with the bobsled?

Falk, dude, release a soundtrack of the tracks for this mod. youtube rips and soundcloud reels don't do it justice! AND MAKE DARK GAIA PHASE 2 REMIX LONGER!!, it's sexilicious.

6. angelXwind

angelXwind

disaster programmer Member
    1. There's a certain light-dash chain in Arid Sands that leads to a platform with a spring on it. Attempting to light-dash onto it will end up with Sonic slamming face-first into the platform and then falling to his death.
    2. Playing it in Japanese mode ends up turning Jungle Joyride into ORANGE ROOFS. Screenshot here: http://puu.sh/2mx0o
    3. Sometimes the game will attempt to homing-lock onto springs that Sonic cannot reach due to the angle he's hitting it at. Homing-attacking into it will just make him crash into the wall and spin indefinitely. Either that, or fall.
    4. The laser-badnik battle (I have no idea what they're called) in Rooftop Run has a small issue with the quickstep lanes. (Sometimes a nonexistent 4th one will be created)
    5. Random, unexplained hangs using FxPipeline (no idea if it happens with the non-FxPipeline renderer). Music continues playing, but it locks up just like that.
    6. Homing-attacking into this yellow balloon in Rooftop Run will result in you being unable to homing-attack the one right after it, preventing you from reaching the platform above. Temporary workaround is to just jump into the yellow one, and then homing-attack the second one. Screenshot: http://puu.sh/2mznG

I'll get screenshots later.

7. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

They did change it. It's much easier to control in Sonic Unleashed.

I think they changed the Board to prevent you from flying everywhere during the 3D sections. (Play the classic version of the stage and you'll understand) But honestly I'd rather be flying everywhere than limited movement that often results in me hitting everything without it being my fault.

Speaking of which, do not run into enemies without boosting. You'll end up just taking damage due to it being a remodel.

8. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_LhOwntMI
    My first S-Rank, yes!
    I love this stage.

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    No vid this time, but
    [​IMG]
    Sub 2:00 and S-Rank... I feel so proud of myself.

...until I look at KAKIPI.

...or Paraxade.

...or Brianuuu.

;w;

10. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I've S-Ranked the Tutorial, Windmill Isle, and Rooftop Run so far. I know I could do Cool Edge if I could make it through the last bobsled section without taking a hit. I'm also down to around 4:25 on Jungle Joyride... what a blast that stage is!

Lives are definitely never going to be an issue with this mod. I'd forgotten just how insanely full of rings Unleashed is. By the time I'm 45 seconds into Jungle Joyride, I have like 230 of the damn things!

11. brianuuu

brianuuu

Sonic Colors Porting
    May you guys edit the score for Jungle Joyride? Cuz my friend tried very hard but can't get an S rank, it isn't fair for those who don't know about glitches or know how to use them

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    You don't need any glitches, after all, those are my own runs and I don't know how to do any glitches. :v:

Maybe you're just not picking the good routes? I wouldn't play with modified physics either if you're using anything like that. There should be an S rank video of JJ online already (and we did watch some streamers the other day get it after nearly an hour of work. It's not even about the speed, it's about being able to endure not getting hit in the whole thing).

EDIT: Even more evidenced by the fact that the run by an actual speedrunner with skills at the moment is a whopping 3:17! That's 47 seconds below the S rank time.

13. brianuuu

brianuuu

Sonic Colors Porting
    Of course I can get S rank, but my friend's having problem with it.
    I've tried once with all fast route have been taken without glitches, I've done like 4:15 and 999 rings (with skills) but still A rank)

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Ring bonus only applies if you get 100 rings at least, anything extra doesn't matter. I'll try and record a run.

EDIT: Blegh I killed ramdisk before copying the vid. Oh well, maybe another day. I did get an S rank in other several tries, but I don't like recording myself getting hit on stupid stuff. :v:

15. Paraxade

Paraxade

You aren't using the Unleashed physics are you? They make Sonic go slower.

edit: wow, okay, I just tried a run with the Unleashed physics. Lost time on every single section, was 16 seconds behind by the time I reached the second water running section. If you're using your Unleashed Ultimate Pack then I 100% guarantee you this mod is the problem. Turn off the Unleashed physics.

edit 2: almost finished a run that would've been 4:11 or so; almost flawless except a couple parts, maybe 6-7 seconds of mistakes total? It should be possible to S it with the Unleashed physics and no skills or glitches but you need to be almost perfect. The S-ranks are balanced for the Generations physics, not Unleashed.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    [​IMG]
    I think I'm going to side with the Unleashed Team on this whole ranking business. The way I always thought of it is like this: The rank of "S," intentionally being above what one would think the highest rank would be ("A") naturally implies that it lies far above in the requirements to achieve. It doesn't make much sense to complain about not being able to get it when anyone could with enough work; it makes it all the more satisfying for those who put in the effort, and if everyone could achieve them without much of it... well, you'd have Generations' ranking system. I don't like Generations' ranking system.

I am by no means KAKIPI or the rest of them... not even close. This S-Rank took me quite a few retries to achieve, and the work I put into it makes me very happy with the result. This applies to just about anything in life, mind you.

...now I'm going to shut up before I start sounding too much like a Saturday morning cartoon.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The problem I have is less with this mod and more with the way the series has handled S ranks up until now. Now, if they were more like Crash 3 time relics, where Gold was the second highest and platinum was an after beating the game bonus, it would make S ranks seem less necessary. Sonic games just moved the rankings, so what was A is now S and what was E is now D. S rank feels more like an A now, so an A feels like a B, and is thus less rewarding, particularly because S ranks don't go above and beyond the difficulty that should be A rank in any Sonic game.

18. Falk

Falk

Retro sure turned into blizzard forums in a hurry.

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm probably the only one who doesn't take pride in achieving something. Too me, if feels more like a "whoop de do" said in a sarcastic tone.

20. winterhell

winterhell

I'm with you on this. Playing a game for the sake of getting achievements and trophies that don't unlock new levels is a bit derpy. If you want to compare your results with others, then you don't look at the rank but look at the score or the time. You shouldnt compare ranks, because S vs S only means you are equal. But if you look at the time you can say "see, I'm better than you by 10 seconds". Now that is more interesting and can get a real desire to play, not that junk arbitrary time.