don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

http://youtu.be/UdQdzJueZ5o
    Listen to the hub world themes as I (slowly) run past each level. Isn't it weird that it fades to the next level's theme seamlessly? Well, when I accidentally applied both Inspector and ENBSeries to get Ambient Occlusion (yes I know, stupid), my laptop couldn't handle it and started lagging (which you can see) and the music just kinda transitioned on its own. I removed the ENBSeries, which made the game run faster, but the fade transition was gone with it...

I'm hoping one of you guys can look into this further. I'll try to help out as much as possible.

2. Falk

Falk

Seeming at the moment that the bottom path is faster than the walljump path. This wouldn't really be odd in general except the bottom part seems to be like a 'lol you failed and fell off' alternate earlier on.

edit@above: As far as I can tell, the music engine they slapped together plays each clip (which is a bar long) then upon arriving at the end of a bar, runs a position check- it then plays both the succeeding bar of the original zone starting at full volume and the succeeding bar of the new zone starting at 0% volume and crossfades them. The crossfading is necessary to eliminate serious audio glitch/popping; I guess they took a shortcut and tied it to framerate rather than x number of samples (as it should be)

The same crossfading also occurs swapping between boost and nonboost tracks. Without that short crossfade you'd hear a ton of audio glitching.

3. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Pretty sure the walljump path is faster, though maybe not by enough. I'll tweak it.

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Regarding the whole "implementing Falk's idea of an interactive score" thing that was brought up (by me), I was doing some music mod work earlier and was able to successfully implement Be Cool as the normal music and Be Wild as the boost music... so it looks like the two tracks are allowed to deviate more than "normal track, high pass filter track". I'm not sure if that information is either useful or even new, but I just thought I'd share in case anybody doing their own stage and music wanted to implement idea... I should note, however, that you still need to make sure the boost track is Mono, so you'll probably want to amplify the volume a bit to compensate.

5. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    You know, I was just wondering where boost track replacements were at.

EDIT: Quick question: Does the normal track have to be mono as well, or just the boost track? If just the boost track, I have to wonder why they'd impose such an arbitrary limitation on themselves.

6. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

Okay, I've told you a few times already that this is impossible. Yes, you can change the boost music, everyone knows that, but the rest of Falk's idea is impossible.

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I know, I wasn't referring to the sectional music idea; I was only referring to the idea of the boost track being an alternate version rather than a simple high pass filter.

The normal track is stereo and the boost track is mono.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    In fact when there's three songs for the Stage like GHz normal, Ghz Fast and Ghz Fast BOOST you wouldn't need to use the lower bitrate mono track.

9. Hey, I'm in the process of making some custom Badnik models for a friend, but there's a few things I'm wondering about.

1. How does one go about exporting and importing models? It's a feature of SonicGLVL right?
    2. Are there any bones REQUIRED for a model to work ingame? Particularly if I were replacing enemies?
    3. What kind of visual effects do models in vanilla Sonic Generations use? What is the engine/importer compatible with?
    4. Can I make custom animations and morphs?
    I have no intention to customise behaviour, by the way.

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Yes(help folder). Yes, just import the enemy skeleton. Supports everything you can use. Yes using Havok, morphers are only hardcoded to be used in certain parts of the game(two first-in-development cutscenes).

11. I dunno, I'm finding the whole process really unintuitive. I must be missing something, because in the gruelling process I've been going through trying to get my (incomplete) model working in game, I've only been able to get it from crashing upon load to loading the stage and THEN crashing when my new badnik appears.

12. Paraxade

Paraxade

Which enemy are you trying to overwrite on which level?

13. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    Might be because you need a certain bone in the game anyways? And its not finding that bone so it crashes?

14. I'm overwriting GHZ's Motobug and I'm exporting all his bones with the new model.

Could it be because my model isn't completely textured yet?

15. Joltanz Mantis

Joltanz Mantis

! Member
    Quebec, Canada
    I sing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8OrYmLfILc&feature=related
    At 0:55, C.Sonic spin dashed in 3D.

I left a comment asking how, but no answer. This means it's possible!

Forgive me if this was already found.

16. Falk

Falk

Since spindash is a 2D skill, it uses the last 2D plane for its vector. The crash occurs when you attempt to spindash prior to any 2D section, which quite likely throws an undefined exception. The problem is that even after the first 2D section the vector used locks to the last active 2D section, so it's not very useful.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Mind telling me how you got classic sonic in Perfect Chaos?

18. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Joltanz Mantis didn't make the video. He just showed it to us since he thought it was interesting and on-topic.

In an attempt to answer your question, I noticed that Classic Sonic went into the Death Egg Robot's stage Gate in the White World HUB. I can assume the video's creator just swapped the Perfect Chaos fight over the Death Egg Robot fight using the "Classic Sonic Adventures" method.

P.S. - This reminded me of a theory I had awhile back. The idea was to swap each of the boss stages over a normal stage. If the bosses can work over normal stages without any glitches, then it'd be entirely possible to play through them with skills. Of course, the downside is that you're replacing one of the regular stages...

19. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Did you properly rig the model to the skeleton?

20. I... think so. I'm not really that familiar with 3DS Max because most of my experience is in Lightwave, but I did link all the bones to the model using the skin modifier, and I made sure the model was all in one mesh too.