don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Oh, shit. You guys are right. Spaz almost tricked me into liking Modern Sonic. Almost.

2. Tylinos

Tylinos

#238 finally answers that one question. You know the one.
    How was Shard rebuilt? Uncle Chuck did it from leftover Metal Sonic/Scourge parts. ...A lot more straightforward than I expected. It doesn't say how the Power Gem itself survived, or how Chuck got it, though. He's had it a while too, since the issue says Shard's core helped in the creation of the Metal Sonic Troopers during Sonic's almost-year in space. Never thought the Troopers would be referenced again.

238's main story was just...passable. I just didn't care about anything that happened in it. I still kind of like the clothing-centric culture concept, but apart from that nothing drew my attention.

The backup story was far better, though.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm gonna go to the store and buy me some pie!

[​IMG]

Speak of the devil, just after I was wondering what happened to Mighty, well, this will do it. This Chaotix centered arc will center around the Sega Chaotix trying to find Mighty and Ray apparently. Also I think we have a definite pattern here. Typically these arcs seem to go Sega centric, then Archie centric, then back again (I guess the Robontik one breaks that chain, but that arc was pretty heavily Archie based, what with the whole "Find Sinvley" and grandmaster dark egg legion stuff going on. Archie Robotnik is an entirely different beast than Sega Robotnik anyway.)

4. Finding Mighty and Ray. Fuck yeah!

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

About time the Chaotix got a solo arc. Haven't had one since the middle of the Knuckles series.

Also, #46? I guess that means #45 will be a standalone issue. Interesting. Also, the set ends just before #50.

Full article:
    http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-universe-says-make-way-for-the-chaotix-son—230580.phtml
    (Make sure to change that dash after "son" to two dashes. Retro wordfilters two dashes to one long one for some reason.)

EDIT: Preview pages for #238 are up.
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=46783

Pages under the spoiler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ItzWizzz

ItzWizzz

Speed Wiz
    Nigeria, Africa
    Genie!!!!!!!(Manga)/Unamed Sonic RPG.
    OOOOOOh!!!! I didn't know #238 was released!!!!! Gonna go download it ASAP!!!

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So I don't know if any of you watch this site (It kind of ran out of material unfortunately), but issue 238 actually pays homage to A moment of Archie Sonic with it's intentional use of "Mighty Lips"

http://amomentofarchiesonic.tumblr.com/post/26298137982/someone-actually-had-to-point-this-out-to-me

As you can see, Metal Sonic 2.5 has that ridiculous mouth on him, but this was entirely intentional. Nice touch Evan Stanely

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Thats awesome, Love how the comic is giving great props to their fans now a days.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Mini-spoiler notes and thoughts on SU#42:

- Lyco's code name is Queen of Hearts, while Leeta's is Queen of Diamonds.

- This arc takes place after a (backup?) story in Sonic #239 and #240 too? Okay, now the story ordering's getting silly.

- Naugus is really, really losing his mind.

- Elias has a flashback to Sonic #70, where Sonic had, err, brown eyes? The hell?

While I enjoyed the story as it was happening, it felt like nothing was accomplished by the end. They managed to do nothing overall, aside from getting caught by Naugus. Again, the story was more about character moments rather than the actual plot, which is definitely nice, but at least in #41 it felt like something was accomplished.

10. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    + - Brown eyes? Is it still canon that the missile gave Sonic his green eyes?  

I want to know if that was a flub or if Penders work is still canon to Flynn's work.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Often times in the older comics, Sonic had a little bit of brown in his eyes (Some of the older japanese genesis styled Sonic artwork gave Sonic brown eyes too). So it's not that strange.

As for Penders' stuff, unfortunately it is all still canon, yet beyond the 30 years later arc it's rarely important. Honestly Flynn did a good job of cutting out most of the crap, eliminating a lot of it in the Enerjak arc and then proceeding to give the Dark Legion an actual purpose in life as being Eggman's cronies (and then expanding on them by adding more then just Echindas). I think Sonic's eye transformation is still canon, however it was not a missile, rather it was the reaction Sonic had to going super fucking fast with a Super Emerald strapped to his back. Eventually he changed... and then about 20 issues later the rest of them did as well, "just because" (only characters to have explanations for the changes were Sonic, Amy, and Eggman. The rest just changed)

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

...What missile? The way Sonic got the green eyes in the comic, as stupid as it was, is still canon, but I don't remember there being a missile. Also, it wasn't Penders. That was Bollers. People tend to mix the two up a lot for whatever reason, even though Karl wrote a lot more of the main book than Penders ever did. Honestly, a lot of the stupid stuff in the comics that gets complained about was Karl.

Also, the flashback this issue shows was from #70, before the green eyes happened anyway. It's just...why brown? It's not just a solid brown pupil like Dark Sonic was referring to. It's a brown iris, like Yardley drew in the green iris but it was colored brown.

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    I have very vague memories of the issue, so granted, there was room for incorrect information.

Thanks for correcting me, although that's still pretty silly.

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

So, Sonic Select 7's cover was changed.

[​IMG]

OLD COVER:
    [​IMG]

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Why such the unneccessary change? SEGA mandate or something? Did Ian comment on that?

16. lol, "TOO MANY ARCHIE CHARACTERS IN ARCHIE COMIC CHANGE IT"

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Maybe it's for easier identification for those not major readers of the comic? I know who Espio is and Sally because lol legacy cartoons, but I have no idea who the skunk(?) is.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

They took out Geoffrey but kept that deformed Sally? I mean I get this is basically a Sally volume but at least Geoffrey is recognisable from the art inside.

19. Tylinos

Tylinos

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=180941
    [​IMG]

More information likely to come at the Sonic and Mega Man panel for Archie at San Diego Comic-Con this Sunday.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That's a very beautiful thing.