don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    D2D won't let me order.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Omochao is a robot. Not alive. =|

It would be nice if Sonic was able to hit him with the boost or some well-timed jumps; making him suffer in Sonic Adventure 2 was hilarious...

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    With SA2 getting representation in the form of City Escape and Omochao, there were two forms of wanton destruction I was hoping would remain.

I can bash cars into oblivion, but I can't hit Omochao! Madness.

4. CraigRobbo

CraigRobbo

I agree, But yeah okay I made a boo boo Omochao isn't alive.... You knwo what I mean, that little farty robot thing can keep up no matter what...

Sega if your still reading this thread please allow us to attack Omochao...if just for the sake of Sh*ts 'n' Giggles (but more because he is incredibly annoying)

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    If I Pre-order from GMG, will I still be able to play on Nov1?

6. sandwichbars

sandwichbars

Oh but they (kinda) did. I hit Omochao as Classic while he was flying back to his original spot and he made that same 'crash' sound as he did in Adventure 2.

7. GMG are based in London. So good luck with that.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I figured as much. Direct2Drive doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Something about unable to save CC.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Got the demo working, once I'd figured out the injecting (ta for those instructions, btw), updated my 360 (there's been at least one Dashboard update since I last used the damn thing), and sorted out my network connection to do so (it appears one of my Powerline adaptors has died. That sucks, they're like £70 a pair :( ) by running a long ethernet cable.

I figure Omochao is encouragement to buy the final game, seeing as the time restrictions didn't work out last time. ;P

Demo is just as good as I remember from GameFEST (and indeed appears to BE the GameFEST GHZ demo) - I'm a little rusty but got right back into it. Really looking forward to release!

10. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    I heard you can turn Omochao off, is this true? Please be true.

11. In the full game, yes :P

You can jump over him as Classic Sonic, but Modern can't avoid him.

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Interesting change I've noticed: You remember the weird trick jump animation you could get Classic Sonic to do when you destroyed an enemy at the exact moment you touched the floor?

Still happens, but now it seems to cancel Sonic's horizontal movement when it triggers.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It always did cancel his horizontal movement. I know for sure cause it messed up a bunch of my speedruns on the old build. It's the same behaviour as though you just used the homing attack- cancel horizontal movement, do trick animation, bounce directly upwards.

Just noticed you can't stand on item boxes in this build. Landing on the just breaks them automatically for some reason.

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    No it didn't. Somebody specifically asked and I checked - doing the trick jump glitch did not do anything to horizontal movement.

Now, you can quite noticeably feel it "stick" when you do it.

15. jackaroo

jackaroo

I'm so glad I have been avoiding level playthrough videos. I watched the very first videos of Green Hill that took only the basic route and nothing more (Besides trailers). I haven't minded spoiling the stage selection or bosses but I've wanted to keep the level design and boss patterns as fresh as possible. So I was very surprised when I accidently discovered that little shortcut towards the end of Moderns stage. That was nice. Now I've just watched 1stKirbyEver's speedrun and seen that there is another shortcut at the start. I'm loving the level design here. I know Green Hill Modern is still very linear but there are still quite a few hidden areas to explore which is nice.

Anyway this is my second time playing Modern Green Hill as I originally played it at Eurogamer Expo last month. It doesnt appear to have changed since then besides the level's Title Card saying 'Green Hill' instead of '???'. Classic has improved alot since the anniversary demo. Jumping feels alot better and a couple of the set pieces seem to work better too. I know there was one glitch in the original demo that made you fall through the loop bridge set piece. That has been fixed now. I've noticed a couple of other areas that have been slightly improved too. Nothing major though but it all help's to make thing's feel smoother. I still would've liked the rolling to be fixed but it is something I can live with. Everything else seems pretty accurate for me.

Modern gameplay feels alot better than Unleashed aswell. I was S Ranking a few levels in Unleashed whilst waiting for the demo so I could instantly tell the difference. Sonic doesn't feel like a stick of butter anymore and I feel like I have far more control over him. I managed to adapt to the controls fine since I had already been made aware of them at Eurogamer. The only one I wasn't aware of was switching rails which took some time to figure out. I do wish they had kept the shoulder buttons for switching rails but that's only a minor gripe. Another minor gripe is that there are no camera controls. I didn't come to a point where I couldnt see what I was doing. The camera was fine at showing me all I needed to see. But the game is so gorgeous that there were a few areas that I just wanted to have a look around in. I kinda wish they had a first person camera view like in Sonic Adventure so I could see more of the surroundings. It all looks fantastic. As I already said for the level design it all seems good to me. Im sure theres still a few areas I havent seen in Green Hill modern yet. It is rather linear but it is the first level and I know it does improve later on. I have played City Escape Modern and that was far more open than Green Hill. But as long as they keep giving the levels multiple routes and hidden areas then that will keep me happy.

Overall im very happy with the demo and cannot wait for the full game. Im torturing myself a bit though by waiting until christmas but it will be worth it :D (Especially since I've preordered the collectors edition). Also that Ending Medley taken from the demo is just absolutely incredible. I was just humming and singing along to that whole thing. This game is just shaping up to be one of Sonic's best.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    If thats the case, is there a rip for it? I can't seem to find it in any of the .zips that being passed around.

17. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    So what? They're based in London, but I still got Deus Ex Human Revolution the day it came out in the States.

Frankly, all signs point to "yes", Azu.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...That's lame. I hope they're not breaking any more stuff that was working already.

19. Eggomaticwaffles

Eggomaticwaffles

Oldbie
    I'm surprised no one has brought this up when discussing Classic physics and rolling in GHZ...I did a quick side by side comparison of the size of the loops, keeping the size of the Genesis/Generations sprites the same, and it becomes VERY apparent why those classic physics everyone's after would never work in Generations. The distances travelled in the original level were a fraction of the length they are here. Those loops are HUGE and definitely require considerable momentum to get around them...in many ways, this justifies the overpowered spindash. That said, if ST were to change the physics so that you're going fast enough to go around the loops like you did on the Genesis, the feel of Classic Sonic would drastically change. I'd venture he'd feel even less like his Genesis counterpart. If the Team were going to change anything, it'd be to make Generations model larger in relation to the environments so that the current physics better emulate the Genesis set-up.

It's funny, when we first got a glimpse at CPZ I was shocked by how small Classic Sonic looked in relation to the level itself. Perhaps this is the chief issue plaguing the physics. If the overall model was larger, he'd essentially have less distance to travel and would have fewer issues getting around those loops (and rolling too I'd imagine!)
    [​IMG]

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It definitely did. On numerous occasions when speed running I'd mis-time my jump and instead of hitting the purple Buzzer to get to first high route, I'd hit the second Crabmeat instead. Without fail it would make Sonic stop dead in the air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.