don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Wait, how does another Green Hill Zone make for more diverse and varied levels?

And if it's any consolation, Colors had the Sandworm badnik from Sonic 3&K, there's a small chance that they could put Sandopolis Zone inside, at least it fills a zone cliche that we haven't seen in Generations yet.

2. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So, what will they probably show next?

The City Escape trailer teased Spagonia, but now they've released a lot of Chemical Plant/Stardust Speedway screenshots and nothing from Spagonia.

My guess is that the next trailer will be from Chemical Plant.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Actually, no I didn't read your post. I went directly to the last post, which was Blue Blood's, ergo I skipped over yours by mistake. It has a Buzzer's stinger, but it's body looks like a pata-bata to me. IE, what MegaDash said.

I'm done talking about it now.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The classic content only makes up a pitiful 1/3 of the game, remember? They can't even afford to show us any more classic stuff. If we get another trailer at all, it'll be for a modern stage.

5. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    ...You have to be fucking kidding me. You're really bitching over the lack of Palmtree Panic being in Generations?

Name me 5 things excluding music or "the nostalgia factor" that would make Palmtree Panic a worthwhile addition to Generations. I dare you.

Honestly, though, there IS diversity in the levels, people just aren't SEEING it.

Green Hill Zone: Surreal tropical mountainous cartoon environment.
    Chemical Plant Zone: Deadly factory full of fumes and poison, now with fire.
    Sky Sanctuary Zone: Airborne ruins with classic bosses revisited and quite the mini-boss, with bouncy clouds.
    Speed Highway: As the name implies, a highway with lots of speed involved and abnormal city structures with incomplete roads.
    City Escape: Government controlled streets of colorful San Francisco, steep streets and all.
    Seaside Hill: Coastal ruins with collapsing walls and giant stone wheels of death (Ocean Palace = SSH Act 2).
    Crisis City: Apocalyptic disaster city with fire coming out of the walls of buildings and lava spewing from the ground.
    Rooftop Run: Lively city filled with... orange rooftops (did not like this choice; would have picked Cool Edge...)
    Planet Wisp: Construction site on an alien world with aliens who help you on your quest to save their planet.

I'd say that's pretty diverse and varied, despite 3 cities existing. Not to mention the Boss Battles:

Stardust Speedway: Musical streets of a futuristic city where you run from malicious Metal Sonic!
    Death Egg: Space Station with a giant robot ready to kill you.
    Space Colony Ark: Runway of another space station where the ground collapses under you, and your rival will make sure you go down with him.
    Central City/Station Square (Perfect Chaos aftermath): Flooded city ruined beyond repair where a giant monster waits to consume you, before you kill it.
    Soleanna Castle Town: Venician, name-implied town surrounding a castle with canals everywhere... And a psychokinetic psychopath ready to end you.
    Space Fleet(?)/Center of the Earth: Whichever area is used for the Egg Dragoon fight, either a huge fleet in space or a crater in the Earth, you fight a huge mechanical monstrosity.

...Now, what is Palmtree Panic?

Surreal tropical mountainous cartoon environment.

6. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    You're missing the point. Think about the level gimmicks inside PPZ rather than the the trope.

7. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Palmtree Panic really doesn't have much more to offer in terms of gimmicks. Nothing they couldn't implement into other acts of Green Hill.

edit: wow I just noticed this wasn't the Generations thread yet I posted in it already

I'm not in my game tonight :psyduck:

8. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    And holy shit, people start a bitch fest because of that one stage. Sorry if I was hoping Palmtree Panic was in due to the fact that some of the other stages that popped up happened to be Lava Reef, Quartz Quadrant, Carnival Night, Metropolis, Arid Sands, and Tidal Tempest. You know, since those are the main examples that would add some diversity to this game.

Shit, immediately jump on my case. Yes, I don't care too much for ANOTHER Green Hill relative, but if it means more Quartz Quadrant and Tidal Tempest, then so be it.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    We got Classic first, then Adventure, next is definitely a Modern stage.

10. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I think this is how they're doing the reveals:

-Each generation gets a trailer. GHZ got the first trailer for the Classic Generation, then City Escape for Dreamcast, and Rooftop Run is likely next (rumor has it the next demo will be Rooftop Run, as well).
    -Additional stages get media releases (screenshots and whatnot). This is what happened to Chemical Plant.

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Personally, when I think of Palmtree Panic, I think of how tall and long it is compared to Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone, not unlike the rest of the game's stages. Plus the color palette is subtly different than either, and depending on which version of the soundtrack you like, it's got a really relaxing laid-back musical number. As for gimmicks, there are those spinny things that don't do fuck all, but other than that it's just a really souped-up and expanded Green Hill Zone, but with less green and more height and width to move around in. I wouldn't mind it in Generations, baw about it all you want. Just as long as it feels roughly as big, complex, and tall as it did on the CD compared to all the other Genesis game stages.

EDIT: Wait, I thought we were in the Generations thread for a moment until I realized it was the Colors thread. Why are we talking about this here?

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    But why tie additional levels being in Generations to a single Sonic CD badnik that we thought we saw inside pre-release Colors footage.

Colors has 2 badniks that made it into the final game that currently have no place inside Generations, Jawz from Hydrocity Zone and Sandworm from Sandopolis Zone, both of them Sonic 3&K levels and none of them are in Generations that we know of.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Level diversity accounts for a hell of a lot more than individual defining characteristics, like "There's a truck" or "The colors are different". There's still only four distinct overarching level tropes here.

Because this is totally the right thread for this!

14. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner

How's about we completely forget everything I said here today?

No, I mean I completely forgot about those details, and I'm now realizing what an ass I've made of myself here. We'll keep this between us and the Trash... surely?

15. It will never be a full remake of rooftop run unless the night level gets included. The werehog is what made Sonic Unleashed what it is. This same idea goes for the wisps for the Sonic Colors level.

16. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The Wisps were a welcome gimmick though, unlike the Werehog.

17. Classic Sonic could take the Werehog's place in the night stages! More platforming, and a change of pace from the Daytime stage style.

18. I'll admit that I don't reply any of the werehog stages but he was a big part of Unleashed.

He will probably appear for the remake of the Unleashed boss

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Hyper Sonic better be the fucking end result then.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    A pot-bellied, green-eyed Hyper Sonic with height and spine length roughly in-between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, if we're dreaming right now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.