don't click here

This Song Sounds Like X

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadix, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Xilla

Xilla

I'm not sure where they originally came from, we were just discussing Sonic CD's use of samples and he sent me a few randoms in a zip file. Unfortunately they're on my old mothballed PC so can't access them now, but IIRC the majority of the samples were used in Quartz Quadrant and the boss music.

He came across them whilst looking for possible high quality samples of the SoR2-3 voice clips, since a number of them were actually sampled from other sources (SoR2 Jack's laugh is a sped-up Yosemite Sam!)

2. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I have no clips or musical knowledge to back this up, but there is an episode of Regular Show (in which Roger Craig Smith shows up as a character named Doug, coincidentally), and this random guy plays a harmonica with his butt (um, yeah.). It sounds really close to what's used in Rocky Ridge from Free Riders.

Is this just a common harmonica riff, or?

3. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I was just listening to Speedbeats Grand Prix, and I noticed something familiar.

I guess this means not only are the Babylon Rogues decendants of genies and aliens, but they were born in Hidden Palace as well! :specialed:

Now if only I could slow it down to see if I could mesh them together.

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Those two don't sound similar at all...

5. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member

For the 808 state video, skip to 0:17

I wonder if it's more than coincidence, seeing as though the composer for 8-bit Sonic 2 was also the composer for Sonic CD, and that in Sonic CD they lifted stuff from a lot of this kind of music.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Here's one I found. Not exactly similar melody-wise, but the sample has to be the same:

Skip to 2:20 in the Snatcher video.

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

I hear it! It's subtle, but it's there.

I'd say it's more than coincidence, definitely influence!

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    vs

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I think I'm probably being a pain here. Shit reminds me of Sonic music all the time. This one in particular I think was a genuine influence; I think Sonic CD's soundtracks (both US and JP) were an inspiration to the Spyro the Dragon music composers, notably in the second and third games.

vs

The synth flutes, the percussion rhythms - anyone else reading this one loud and clear?

(edit: updated with a better link for QQ)

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    ^ That's a good catch. I played all those Spyro games, and I never noticed, but hearing it now it really stands out (especially the first 20 seconds or so).

I'd say it could still be coincidence, because they could have both been inspired by a third source.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    It's possible, yes -- standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

I do admit I'm sort of using this thread as a 'shit that reminds me of Sonic music' thread - but only with legitimate soundalikes. Although there are cases where there is a case of clear and legitimate influence though. ;)

12. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Here's one that can be chalked up to influence:

EWF is one of Masa's favourite groups. You can tell that song's influence on this one from DCT:

(There's no one real point where they line up, just listen to them both! =P )

Yes, I know that's not a Sonic music... I'm getting to the point. The Sonic 2 ending theme is a very similar style. One can be fairly sure what kinds of songs were running through his head when he composed it.

13. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    This:

+

This:

=

This I made:

EDIT: I know fans would see this coming, but I wanted to have fun doing it. =)

14. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie

just heard this one today. Reminds me of metropolis too.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Furthermore, 9 to 5 reminds me a bit more of the 2P version of Emerald Hill than Metropolis, but then again, I'm crazy.

16. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
  17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Re-posting one particular one here, because it's really quite remarkable.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeMvR—ICk&feature=related[/youtube]

EDIT: Okay, it's not really that remarkable, but it took me by surprise cause I actually hear this song on regular basis and haven't ever made a connection between it and Silver's theme. Maybe it's just a generic beat, but still.

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    WTF?! So.....they decided to saw SCREW original composition and pieced together bits of other songs? Get out of town.....seriously. I would say it's lazy, but I know at the same time, it still too SOME effort.

19. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PyNo7p2Jxs&feature=player_detailpage#t=134s[/youtube] >>> [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDhIJV8L_sI[/youtube]

20. Royameadow

Royameadow

Lynn, MA; US
    LPs in progress.... Sonic Eraser; Super DKC; SFC Mario Bros.
    Dr. Robotnik vs. Rockman X Corrupted: The Mean Bean Reploid Base's Password....
    (which is basically the Password Select from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and the Reploid Base from Rockman X Corrupted with the pitch down by two and the tempo between 090 and 099.50 BPM.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=j_bVjXO1buQ