don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That's a much better example, but I personally find it quite useful in Marble Zone as well so I don't suffer from the falling spike platforms.

I kind of want him to at least say it once, just for the hell of it. Maybe even a "LET'S CLEAN UP THIS TRASH!" because that's quite an underappreciated line.

yes yes and yes

Honestly at least one extra zone for each era would please me. Maybe get a Sonic 3 stage, Lost World/SA2 Space Stage (I know everyone hates space, but for the variety of it), and another Colors level since there is no HD equivalent of Colors. I'd actually take a CD level over a Sonic 3 level but I feel like the best we could hope for is the Metal Sonic fight being in Stardust Speedway.

A really vague hope of mine is for DLC characters. I'm not generally one to care too much either way when it comes to this, but I would almost accept simple model swaps for characters like Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow, etc. It'd just be nice.

2. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

That's a relief. For awhile I was afraid Elise would show her ugly mug.

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

I will say the level list does disappoint me a bit. Not a single ice level or Sonic CD. I was hoping the S3K level (since now it is one game...) would be Hydrocity Zone or Lava Reef Zone. Well hopefully the DLC is cheap... Elemental shields being back does please me though. I hope they are in every classic sonic level.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Believe me or not, there's nothing about Sonic Generations in the Tech Lounge at all.

5. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

This game covers more than just city tropes, guys.

If you're going to make the argument that just because a level takes place in a city it makes it a city trope, I would kindly point you towards Sonic World Adventure, where 80% of the levels were "City tropes", just in different locations. Mazuri felt like a jungle, empire city felt like that aerial level, etc. etc.

Let's look at the tropes in this game.

Green Hill (Sonic 1): Hill/valley trope
    Chemical Plant (Sonic 2): Under Water/interior base trope
    Sky Sanctuary (S3&K): Aerial trope
    Speed Highway (SA1): Highway trope / City if Area 3 is in it (Highway levels alone don't count as cities. the Adventure series is full of these.)
    City Escape (SA2): City trope
    Seaside Hill (Heroes): Sea level trope
    Crisis City (2006): Fire level trope. Seriously guys. You're going to be seeing fire, fire, and more fire. And tornados.
    Rooftop Run (Unleashed): City trope
    Planet Wisp (Colors): Exterior base trope

Death Egg (Just the boss or the level I wonder?): Spaaaaceee!

Okay, so we got two city tropes. So what? -shrug-. also, no ice level? I am disappoint, but once again, unleashed didn't have a fire level either IIRC. (eggmanland and the final boss shouldn't really count as level tropes..)
    Once again, I'll point you to the absurd amount of city levels in world adventure, which this game seems to be working with.

Hmm...also, I noticed something fishy.
    I'm not seeing the "Hedgehog Engine!" Logo when the demo boots up. Whut? This game isn't using the hedgehog engine?

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That was an intentional design of Unleashed. To take real life locations and turn them onto Sonic levels.

The same argument cannot be made for Generations.

There's hardly a real fire level. Crisis City doesn't count.

7. Seeing this huge leak of info and actually getting to play the game for the first time has gotten me very excited. A tad disappointed Sonic CD isn't getting its own stage, but hopefully the boss fight with Metal Sonic will have Stardust Speedway as the level in which you fight him, so we get a little taste of Sonic CD. Oh, Sky Sanctuary is going to be fucking glorious.

8. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That music brings oh so happy tears to my eyes. My partner will KILL me when I get that PS3 or X360. I love reinterpretations of songs, I thrive off it. It's great seeing unused music being put to use, but no "# 10 Hidden Palace"? I am dissapoint. I love that the menu music from Sonic Heroes is back and better than ever (but missing that interlude in the released version). Good for Nakamura getting off his duff for the classic music though. Do you realize that this is the first game to bring back the original title screen theme since 1992?! (With the exception of Sonic Advance 1 and 2's contributions).

Whose house do I have to raid to play this demo?

9. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Sky Deck would fit the modern sonic formula so well and would make for an intriguing classic sonic stage, with the alternating altitudes, gravity shifting, etc.

Lava Reef would be amazing. It was such a varied level and would allow for a pretty nice boss recreation of the Sonic 3 Hidden Palace. Hydrocity would also be a spectacular sight.

QQ I'm feeling but as much as I'm mortified about the city level overage I'd still probably prefer to see Stardust Speedway.

I kept kindof half-expecting them to target us hardcore fans directly and surprise attack us with a recreation of Sonic 2 HPZ.

10. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I'm most excited to see Sky Sanctuary thus far. Personally, I wanted to see Scrap Brain and Ice Cap, but perhaps we'll see them as DLC.

11. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    lol we already got both of those :eng101:

Edit:

No offense bro, but its not really the levels content, even though yeah, you can really justify that there are definitely different types of levels and thats why the game will still be fun. Its just the lack of variety in level assets. I would not be surprised if we see alot of assets from City Escape reused in + - Speed Highway   , + - Crisis City   , and + - Chemical Plant   . We'll also likely see set pieces reused for the + - final fight with Perfect Chaos   , etc.

Its probably a smart move from the development time\cost perspective but for me it comes off as kindof halfassed.

12. Shade

Shade

Eggmanland was a Sonic CD level, duh.

Anyway, with the leaked level list, my excitement has instantly dropped to zero. Think I'll just stick to watching youtube videos of + - Chemical Plant   and + - Sky Sanctuary   . Extremely disappointing.

My guess is we get a DLC level or two, while the rest were saved to sell more copies of the 3DS version. Fuck this generation (pun optional).

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    My biggest concern is, however: Has Aaron Webber pronounced himself about this whole matter yet?

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    In those sound effects rips, you can hear the tornado, knuckles punchings, gliding and digging, the emerald's radar ( for knuckles maybe?), some sort of roars who might be for biolizard or for the new time eater monster-of-the-week, some birds chirp ( flickys?), monkey sounds ( again, little animals?), and lots of robot sounds.Also,modern sonic's YEAH, HERE WE GO, WOHOO, BRING IT ON and so.

15. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    oh! Speaking of, those SFX tell us some things about Super Sonic
    + - [*]He has Light Attack [*]He has an ability called "Atomic Spin" [*]He has some kind of "combination" ability  

Wanna see how that all goes.

EDIT: ITT: LIST TAG DOESN'T LIKE SPOILER TAG

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Don't post in this thread if your complaints are nothing more than bullshit speculation.

17. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    There's a chance this "Atomic Spin" could be Classic Sonic's version of "Light Attack."

Also, thanks to Scarred Sun, it's been confirmed the second "Red Sonic" has Eggman's name written on it. Literally (in some odd form of Japanese).

[​IMG]

EDIT: By second I mean closest to the bottom.

EDIT 2: Might as well give a full translation for those who don't Japanese.

From top to bottom, going from left to right... Shadow, Classic, Modern, Modern Tails, Knuckles, Vector, Amy, Cream, Blaze, and Eggman.

18. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    This is relevant to the image above:

Code (Text):
    1. SonicBlueBlur.exe
    3. Root
    5. PtmSpike
    6. PtmRocket
    7. EndlessBoost
    8. SpeedTrick
    9. MaxGaugeRestart
    10. AutoGaugeUp
    11. HomingCancel
    12. BoostGaugeUp
    13. RingEnergyBonus
    14. BrakeEnergyBonus
    15. StartAccel
    16. QuickSlide
    17. PowerStomping
    18. DirectJump
    19. SpeedUp
    20. RocketStart
    21. PreciousTime
    22. SkateBoard
    23. LongDiver
    24. HyperPress
    25. TreasureSearch
    26. LongSpinDash
    27. HighSpeed
    28. Barrier
    29. UnbeatenStart
    30. DoubleSpinAttack
    31. ThunderBarrier
    32. AquaBarrier
    33. FlameBarrier
    34. SuperSonic
    35. AllRounder
    36. LongLifeRing
    37. HighGrip
    38. LastChance
    39. SafeRestart
    40. DownCancel
    41. PowerBrake
    42. LightSpeedDash
    43. AirBoost
    44. WallJump
    45. wt
    48. BigChaser
    49. EggBeetle
    50. EggLancer
    51. EggRaybird
    Variables contained in the main game executable, upon uncompressing and decrypting. The game executable goes from a small 7MB to a whooping 30MB!

19. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    That's called Hiragana, which is actually "regular" Japanese. The other form you see in all those names is Katakana, and that's because in Japanese writing, Katakana is used for foreign words. Because names like Sonic, and Shadow are not actual Japanese words, they're written in Katakana.

But I have no idea why Eggman is written in Hiragana, as it's always been written in Katakana before O_o

EDIT: Oh ya guys. I hope no one has beat me to this, as I'm not checking. Speed Highway had Chao in Space 1 posters. City Escape had Chao in Space 2 posters. Crisis City had Chao in Space 3 posters. Speed Highway, City Escape, and Crisis City just happen to be the stages included in this game...

20. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    For those of you who don't have Gold accounts, just sign out of your account, and go to 'join xbox live' and select 'I don't want to buy Live right now' or whatever option it says (I'm sure you can figure it out =P), they will give you a free month of Gold for your trial. It's what I did.

Although Sonic feels a bit heavy, and the spindash is way overpowered, I'm in love with this demo.

Also if + - Time Eater turns out to be the big monster guy from the sonic 1 concept art   , that would be the ultimate throw back, wouldn't it? =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.