don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    We are working on this.

2. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I know nobody seems to give a shit about this, but seriously, THE ELEMENTAL SHIELDS ARE BACK. And yes, I know the electric shield was kinda there in SA1 and SA2, and there was kinda a fire shield in ShTH, but given the nature of this game, but this time they're fully back in their S3(&K) form, which I think is AWEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEE.

Oh, and HOLYSHIT at Sky Sanctuary. Too bad I won't be playing this because I don't have a 360/PS3, but there may be a PC version correct? Excuse me, as I haven't exactly been keeping up with info on this game, but I remember reading about a PC version.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Boy, what I wouldn't give for a peek into the Tech Lounge right now.

I'm loving the Sky Sanctuary textures, and of course, Classic Eggman on the last page. Hooyeah. I was pretty disappointed about the level list at first but honestly with what they've done with GHZ and City Escape I won't complain, plus Seaside Hill looks like it'll stand out on its own quite nicely. Generations is easily going to be my Game of the Year, hands down.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    We only know that the elemental shields will be back but not how will they perform (though I guess the techie guys already uncovered that)

And as for the PC version, Sonic Generations was added to the Steam registry, though it still points to ValveTestAppXXXXX.
    [​IMG]

5. I'm really excited for Speed Highway. I hope the third part of the stage makes an appearance. I want to see if Jun Senuoe will do anything with At Dawn-- by far my favorite Sonic Adventure song.

6. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    ...what. I know the music's not in, but I can't find anything Chemical Plant and Speed Highway anywhere. Where did the textures for Sky Sanctuary come from? I assumed that City Escape wasn't playable/complete because the music for it wasn't there and it didn't have anything in the Packed folder in bb.cpk.

7. PARASOL

PARASOL

Out of all the stages in Sonic 3 and knuckles they chose Sky Sanctuary? what bullshit man. They could have at least chosen Hydrocity or Mushroom Hill.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    All the remixes in this game are awesome. I can't get enough of the Sonic Heroes menu music remix. It sounds... so perfect.

also I'm calling it right now - Chemical Plant Zone will be the highlight of this game

9. ancara

ancara

With how fast it's being tore through and the knowledge of a PC version coming, this excites me. Even if they don't do DLC for other zones, give it enough time and people will mod the game to create zones using similar or new assets in the game for people to download and play through. I can already see zones like Emerald Hill Zone, Metropolis Zone, Mushroom Hill Zone, Westopolis, Eggmanland and so on.

Trust me when I say don't worry about the lack of levels. Even if Sonic Team fails to deliver, the modders will......given enough time, that is.

10. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I'm not going to try to catch up on reading the last 12 (likely 64 for the rest of you) pages of new posts. I'll just leave my short opinions about the demo here in no particular order. Mind you this is after only spending 20 mins with the demo:

0. Not much of a point, but I noticed a few things in this demo were pretty unfinished (like flickering shadows) so that gave me a bit of hope that our feedback could effect the game before it's release.

1. The levels rely on scripted events rather than physics to make the level layout work. Every ramp sends you the exact same distance almost regardless of speed. If you go too slow you may get a low height; if you go just a little faster you'll reach the max height that ramp is going to send you. Nothing in-between or beyond that even if you spindash to you heart's content at the lip of a ramp you'll immediately be thrust into a floating, invisible pool of jello slowing you down to a regulated velocity.

2. You slow down when you jump.

3. Looking up and down serves no purpose. (but did it ever really serve one in the first place?)

3. Spindash is too powerful. I couldn't tell much difference between one rev and five revs. Also the one button spindash wouldn't be so bad if it were just the speed of one rev and if that first rev's speed were greatly reduced.

4. Upward springs are designed to send you in certain direction. If you jump on it facing wrong direction it will turn you around to the direction it's supposed to. It also negates any horizontal momentum you had before the jump. (this may just be certain springs and I'm not talking about any springs that make you flip)

5. Spin attack feels restricted. It reminds me a bit of the slopes in that instead of having it's own set of physics it feels almost as if it works like "if player is moving between this speed and that speed, they will only move at this rate" As if the distance you roll is set according to speed triggers instead of real-time calculations based on momentum.

6. You can unroll while moving. This may be intentional because of my next pint.

7. You can stop while rolling. Holding the opposite direction that you're rolling will cause you to slow down enough to unroll and thus be able to skid to a stop. I'm a little on the fence about whether this is good or bad. It's definitely a trade off since even though you no longer have to worry as much about uncontrollably rolling yourself into the potential dangers of an unknown non-memorized level you now have the potential of uncurling just before you run into an enemy that's infront of you... If you're not going fast enough. Which is why I'm thinking that this may be bad since the risk of the old untamed rolling has been replaced by the risk of rolling too slowly potentially encouraging the player to mash the x/square button on any piece of flat open land that they land on and I don't agree with that.

8. You can't simply hold down to instantly roll down slops and ramps anymore. :( You also can't do this while bouncing off of a horizontal spring.

9. At the top of path of the stage towards the middle/end there is an S-tube that dosen't automatically send you flying. You can just walk on through the whole thing.

10. You can go back up the S-tubes :)

11. Bouncing off stings of enemies works a bit better than I expected.

12. Physics don't feel smooth if you're not moving full speed. It's like I can see the subtle jitters it makes when I am bouncing off of an enemy or even jumping. Maybe it's just the low framerate. Oh yeah...

13. Low framerate :(

That's all that I can remember for now. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way. I can only hope that at least some of this stuff will be fixed/adjusted in the final release.

Edit: And just like that this thread has spoiled me silly by skimming the posts on this page =P

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Two more things.

One there will be NPCs, which I think was mentioned before. These NPCs give you missions to do. Here are the different kinds of missions you can find in the game:

Code (Text):
    1.     -- "Default"            0                // ?????????
    2.     -- "CollectRing"        ????        // ?????????
    3.     -- "VsGhost"            0                // ??????
    4.     -- "BoostMax"            ??????    // ??????
    5.     -- "RescueAnimals"        ???            // ???????
    6.     -- "NpcRace"            0                // NPC????
    7.     -- "CollectTreasure"    ???            // ???(????? ssz200)
    8.     -- "CollectChao"        ????        // ?????(???? sph100)
    9.     -- "TimeLimit"            ????(?)    // ????
    10.     -- "NoMiss"                0                // ????
    11.     -- "MakeTricks"            ?????        // ????????????
    12.     -- "LiftingBoard"        0                // ????????
    So far anyway. The NPCs wont be human like, it'll have Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Vector, Espio, etc etc.

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
  13. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Actually, I think Sky Sanctuary is the one of the only choices that isn't absolutely fucking shit. In fact it's the only one where they chose the absolute best zone from its game imo.

14. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, so I'm just going to comment on the stage list.

[​IMG]

What a disappointing level selection. What, did they just happen to randomly pull these stage names out of a hat? Next to none of the stages that I was actually looking forward to are going to be in this game. Iizuka claimed that Sonic Generations was going to cover all twenty years of Sonic, but as everyone can plainly see, it's not even close to that. Nothing from the Game Gear games, nothing from Knuckles' Chaotix, or even Sonic CD. The thing that's even more infuriating about the former, is that Iizuka outright made a mockery of it, laughing at the guy as soon as that idea was brought up.

15. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    True dat. Sky Sanctuary is like one of the few levels I was hoping to be in the game from the start.

I was gunnin' for Flying Battery, though.

They couldn't fit EVERYTHING without making some cuts. Gotta stick with what's the most well known.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    They probably paid too much attention to poll results, and not enough to variety. They could have done a favorite city stage poll, for example, to help round things out.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well let me comment on this. Techincally Chaotix is not part of Sonic's history as you didn't play as Sonic. Sonic CD could be represented by the Metal Sonic battle, but we don't know this yet (or do we?). I'll admit the exclusion of GG titles is kinda cheesy, but if each version is 3 levels per era would you really want to have something from the GG instead of Sonic 2 or 3? And as far as the level list goes, I think that it does cover a lot of fan favorites, the only thing is because it does that it uses too few level tropes.

It's not a great list but it's not bad. I feel like the boss list is fantastic personally, and the level list is just repetitive a bit. At the very least, they are doing a good job mixing things up, Seaside hill looks a lot different from GHZ.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Actually, judging from the level selection, the 2-acts-per-hedgehog, the boss battles split unevenly between character battles and Eggman mechs, and all the missions per zones, this game could very well turn out to be fucking awesome. I'm particularly curious about how they might improve the NPC battles and NPCs in missions, like the one involving co-op with Tails in Chemical Plant or beating (racing?) Cream in City Escape. That and the actual Eggman bosses.

This game just got very interesting. I'm hoping there's a GameStop nearby that's loaded up a kiosk demo for Generations already. I wanna play it.

EDIT: Too bad there seems to be a lack of Sonic CD zones and other favorites from the trilogy. I can't really complain much about there being no Game Gear or Knuckles Chaotix levels because they weren't quite as mainstream as the other ones, but CD's pretty well known and a pretty cool guy. I'm a little disappointed that they didn't pick Lost World or Sky Deck to represent SA1, but Speed Highway ought to be enjoyable. Maybe they'll stage it at night and incorporate elements from Star Light Zone in Classic's stages.

And there's still the possibility of DLC and haxx0ring. What do guys want to see for DLC? Lava Reef? Quartz Quadrant? Sky Deck?

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sure is city up in that list. But the inclusion of Sky Sanctuary (fuck. yes.) and Planet Wisp almost make up for it. The bosses there have me intrigued as well. I wonder how the battle with Silver will be. Hopefully it won't go into an infinite loop of "ITS NO USE. TAKE THIS!" :v:

But as far as this game goes, they might as well call it "Sonic: 'Hog in the City", because goddammit.

EDIT: That said, it's probably still going to be an awesome game, and is certainly shaping up to be one.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Chemical Plant Zone boss. Look down when he throws the megamack on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.