don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The wall also included Sonic and the Secret Rings, but not Black Knight.

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

Notice how one of the game gear games is featured in the background of that time line. The Japanese version of one of them no less! We really can't judge until we get actual proof. Maybe the fact that Sonic CD is mentioned is a hint, but if Iizuka disclaimed the existence of the game gear titles, I wouldn't exactly call this decisive evidence.

3. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Heh, Sonic CD? You guys really want time traveling shenanigans inside your time traveling shenanigans?

Actually that raises an interesting question, when the Sonics travel back to each 'era', are they going to encounter a Sonic for that time period? Talk about mindfuck.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, it probably goes like this: If they're in, say, SA1's era, then Classic is just Classic Sonic and Modern is basically Modern for that time period, just with all the memories of the future present day Sonic. Which I believe will lead into hilarious situations where Modern Sonic involuntarily spouts cheesy one liners at certain points.

With awkward looks from Classic afterwords.

4. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I found the quote on the wiki and it wasn't as inflammatory as I made it sound. It was during an interview reguarding Sonic Heroes in 2004

Let's see if he's right or if it's just more bullshit, the following people worked on Chaotix and another Sonic Team game.

Mamoru Shigeta - S3, S&K, S3&K
    Hiroshi Aso - S2GG, Drift, SBlast, Ristar
    Makoto Oshitani - SCD, Ristar, Nights, SA1
    Kenichi Ono - SCD, Tails Sky Patrol, S3D
    Masato Nishimura - SCD, Nights JOD
    Ryoichi Hasegawa - Ristar, Tails Adventure, Nights, SJam, Nights JOD
    Takumi Miyake - SCD, Ristar, Nights, S3D
    Jina Ishiwatari - S1, S2, SCD, S3, S&K, S3&K
    Tohru Watanuki - SCD, Nights, Burning Rangers, SA1
    Naoto Ohshima - PSI, PSII, S1, SErazor, SArcade, SCD, S3D, Nights, Sonic R, SJam, Burning Rangers, SA1
    Takashi Thomas Yuda - S3, S&k, S3&K, Riders, Riders ZG
    Manabu Kusunoki - SArcade, SA1
    Kazuyuki Hoshino - SCD, Sonic R, SJam, Nights, Burning Rangers, SA1, SA2, Heroes, Gems Collection, Shadow
    Rivals, Rivals 2, Nights JOD, Unleashed, SatBK, Winter Olympics
    Yoshiaki Kashima - SCD, S2, PS IV, S3, S&K, S3&K, Nights, SA1
    Junko Shiratsu - Crackers, Feel the Magic XY/XX, PSU
    Mariko Nanba - Billy Hatcher, Heroes, Feel the Magic XY/XX, Shadow, S'06, SRA, Unleashed, W Olympics,
    Colours
    Yukifumi Makino - S1, S2, SCD, SJam, Sonic R, Burning Rangers, Chu Chu Rocket, Samba De Amigo, PSO, SA2
    Billy Hatcher, SatSR, SatBK
    Naofumi Hataya - S2, SCD, Ristar, Nights, Sonic R, Buring Rangers, SA1, Heroes, Feel the Magic XY/XX,
    Gems Collection, S'06, Nights JOD, SatBK, Winter Olympics, S4E1, Colours
    Jun Senou - S3, S&K, S3&K, S3D, Burning Rangers, SA1, Sonic Shuffle, SA2, Billy Hatcher, Heroes, Shadow,
    S'06, Rivals, Winter Olympics, Rivals 2, Nights JOD, Unleashed, SatBK, S4E1, Free Riders,
    Colours

:psyduck:

Source is our own dear wiki.

5. dsrb

dsrb

The same wiki lists Sonic Team as the game's developer. Someone is wrong.

6. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    I found the another quote on the wiki, concerning the Game Gear games. It's not clear who actually says what. The interview is by Saturn Power in 1997.

7. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member

Seriously, I know people like to exaggerate and demonize the guy, but he seems to be incredibly proficient at talking with his foot in his mouth.

8. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Sonic 2 and 3 are far more memorable than CD in my opinion, especially since they introduced two major characters that are far more popular than Amy. I'd be surprised if they didn't add Metal Sonic in some way though, they did for Sonic 4.

If they actually did include something from the 8 bit Sonic games, I'd like a tiny section to nod toward Tails Adventures, which is still my favorite Sonic game.

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    personally, I have a problem with the gamegear titles being ignored. No matter how unpopular the games may have been, you don't just ignore your past.

Those who ignore their past have it come back to bite them, and I rather not have the Game Gear bite Sonic in a way that has the titles sell quite a bit on Virtual console and they weren't represented in Generations.
    I don't have as much of a problem with sonic 1-3 being on the 3ds version due to the Nomad and Classic Collection.

10. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I'm pretty upset for the lack of Game Gear levels in the 3DS version. How can they recreate classic sonic without a single classic level?
    And, overall, 8 bit sonic games are pretty original, different to anything else. It's a very bad move, in my opinion. Just wanted to say it.

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sonic CD's a fun game. It might have been on a failed console extension, but that didn't stop it from being regarded as one of the greatest Sonic games ever made. And with good reason. Large as hell levels split between past, present, and future with the time travel gimmick, (2) stylish soundtracks, one new move that's really more of an uncurled spindash, and two alternate side missions to unlock the good ending: Time Stones or destroy the roboticizer machines in the past. And the Metal Sonic projector. It dramatically expanded the exploration factor of Sonic 1, gave you interchangeable experiences depending on your play style, and balanced out Sonic 1's pacing problem with large level environments and lots of new speed structures and mechanisms. It's no Sonic 2, but hell, I like it. It gave me lots more playtime than Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 with a little less frustration, and very little of it felt wasted. Plus you get shrunk in Metallic Madness.

Anyways, I wouldn't be extraordinarily pissed with Generations if CD had no representation, but I would mark the game negatively for its absence. Same goes for no GG representation in the 3DS version. It's simply an iconic Sonic game that branches away from the Sonic 2 style and gives you a really sweet, alternate Sonic experience, and I think it'd be a mistake to leave it out.

Also, yeah. It's not confirmed that it won't be on either versions, and highly. Knuckles Chaotix, sure, and that would be a shame, but that's way more obscure and arguably less well designed than the Gen Sonic trilogy + CD.

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Bringing back something I saw from Gene's list a few pages back: Asteroid Coaster. I do hope that Asteroid Coaster is not seriously being considered. Even though I found Colors DS to be very enjoyable, Asteroid Coaster, practically as a whole, just was not a very fun level at all.

Let's get some Planet Wisp up on that. Quite honestly, Planet Wisp represents one of the main themes in Sonic as we rarely see it - a lush, natural landscape in the process of being "roboticized" by Eggman.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This this and this. I loved Planet Wisp; it was my absolute favorite zone in Colors. Aesthetically, it was just as Namo described it, the kind of thing Sonic games should look like. The music was absolutely fantastic. Having the opportunity to play that in HD and have a good form of drifting and quickstep while playing it would be fantastic.

14. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    Colours had an SCD vibe to it. Planet Wisp in particular seemed to capture something that hadn't been seen since the MD days. I've never played Colours but from screen shots and videos it appears very much like WWZ past in that it's metallic rail like structures supporting passages in the forground, while in the background you can still see the natrual environment before it becomes encased it steel.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    From what I've heard, Planet Wisp is going to the console version. Aside from Green Hill Zone, neither game will share levels.

That said, 3DS getting Sweet Mountain would be dandy.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I'm okay with this. Planet Wisp in HD? Yes please.

Sweet Mountain would be better than Asscoaster in the 3DS version I say.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    How isn't Asteroid Coaster cool?

Planet Wisp is better, I'd agree, but Asteroid Coaster is still a really interesting stage. I'd not be hurt by seeing it!

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    No Game Gear levels is lame. :| It makes the 3DS version look even worse.

Oh, well. Hopefully they'll put in Sky Babylon. How can you not like that stage and its music?

19. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Banned
    I'm certain Sonic CD will be in the HD version "unless it was already proven not" because not only it's one of the most memorable Sonic games despite it being on a failure console, but mostly because it introduced two main characters in the Sonic series, and for such a community full of SonicXAmy fans it'll be stupid to ignore it, Knuckles Chaotix was just a bad game on a bad console so I understand if they exclude it.

As for the Game gear titles, while I understand if they didn't include them it still bothers me, sure some games didn't do well like Sonic 2 8-bit and Sonic Blast, but games like Sonic Chaos and Sonic Triple Trouble were very popular, especially the later, how can they introduce Knuckles if they neglect Sonic Triple Trouble? Or better yet how will they introduce Fang? Sonic Triple Trouble had some unique levels too like Sunset Park and Robotnik Winter.

20. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Asteroid Coaster was cool but it was definitely a creative stretch as far as level design. I'm glad they took that stretch and that it worked fairly well, but re-imagining it seems like an incredibly daunting task that may not work as well as the original stage did. /shrug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.