don't click here

The Sonic The Hedgehog Classics Thread!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LockOnRommy11, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    If you destroy the Rexon badnik in Hill Top Zone, an error in the game's code makes it jump to some code that it was never meant to jump to, which causes opcode errors and thus making the game crash. This glitch pissed me off once when I was a kid. >.> And you're welcome. ^_^

2. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Really? No way, I've never heard of that before! Is it only in some versions of Sonic 2? I've got Sonic 2 on my Mega Drive (came packaged with the console as a special version), on Mega Collection, and my brother has it on his little Plug 'n' Play SEGA, as well as the DS collection, and not once has it ever happened!

How wierd!

3. Damn that Rexon bug. Always avoided defeating them simply due to that glitch.

I'm thinking of trying a speed run of S3&K, but the game pads for my computer are in storage and I hate using a keyboard for platformers :\

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Indeed it is. But according to the wiki, it's only been fixed in Knuckles in Sonic 2 and I do recall encountering the glitch in Rev. 01, but I don't remember encountering it in Rev.02. Speaking of Sonic 2, just finished it with Sonic alone. ^_^ Final Score:374950, Lives:22 ,Died:3 times :\ Surprisingly I did better in Sonic 2 than Sonic 1. o.O

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Today: Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Score: 254280
    Time: 39:50 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: None

6. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I don't think I'll be playing through the classics in celebration with you guys 'cause I've played through them so much already throughout the years that I can only play through them when I need a 2d platformer fix, and right now I need an Ace Attorney fix XD I might play through sonic 2 in a few days if I spend the night at my friend's house though since it's been forever since I've played the games on actual hardware. I probably won't be doin' a 100% playthrough either

Did anybody ever notice how time seems to fly by when playing a classic sonic game? The games aren't particularly long and yet it seems like it always takes me all night to beat 'em for some reason. Like, I remember one time starting up a sonic 2 playthrough with my older sister at 9 PM and it ended up being at least midnight before we finally beat it 0_o and I ain't that bad at the games either so it's not like I spent half of that time dieing...

Another thing that I always noticed was that Tails seemed incredibly glitchy in sonic 2 and sonic 3 and knuckles. Like, he'd get stuck in his waiting animation while flying and stuff. If I remember correctly, I actually thought that Tails' glitchyness was caused by him being added incredibly late in development in sonic 2...

7. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I didn't really say too much in my first post here so I'd like to just like to talk a bit about my childhood involving Sonic...

I was very young when I played the first Sonic game. But boy did I have fun. I'd go to my grandma's house all the time just to play on that Genesis she had in her basement. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 were also there, but I barely have memories of them, just mostly of Sonic 1 especially since the other two Sonic games have disappeared, but I still own Sonic 1's cart and I have through-out those years.

Another childhood memory, my cousin taught me the level select code. I'll never forget it. It's how I remind myself which way is left and which way is right. For some reason I have trouble remembering so I always refer to the level select code to remind me. And I always will.

However, there was a long period where I just never played Sonic games. I moved onto other things, I got more into RPGs and such. However, one day, just for the heck of it, I decided to go play some Sonic 1 with some cousins who came down to visit for the summer (they live in a city that's quite far away). We played it to hell and back, but it was kind of boring. I've already played this game to hell and back by myself.

I remember sometime before that summer, my family went to a dentist office outside of our town to get some molar-work done for my younger brother. In the lobby was a tiny television with a Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Holy shit, did I have to play that game. I played it hard. We made multiple trips so I made sure to play it every time. The farthest I ever got was Oil Ocean Zone.

Back to the summer... Remember my olderncousin who taught me the level select code? He still had some Genesis games himself. And within that pile was Sonic 3D Blast. As much people hated this game, this was my only alternative to Sonic 1 at the time and thus my cousins and I also played that game to hell and back. It didn't take long, once we got used to the different play-style. I had a bit of trouble with the penultimate boss but I eventually got it. I always had, I was and still am the most skilled gamer I know. No gloating, though, just stating a fact. I'm sure there are people better yet than me.

And yet, my older cousin was holding back... a few weeks later he brought us Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Holy crap was I so excited. We played this game all night long, but we could never get passed Metropolis Zone. That place was a bitch. I eventually got to Death Egg Zone with Sonic but goddamn the bosses. After learning Silver's pattern, we had to fight Egg Emperor. Goddamn Egg Emperor, he was such a bitch. It took multiple playthroughs to even get a try at him. It was a long time before I finally kicked his ass...

8. Well, I was going to play Sonic 1 but somehow wound up playing Advance instead...

Also, that Rexon bug is annoying, but I only seem to get it when I kill them with a spindash instead of a jump, and it seems to happen more frequently as Super Sonic.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I ended up playing a Sonic game this week anyway. I had some time yesterday so before bed I played through Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I played as Knuckles and not Sonic but that's beside the point. Probably took about an hour, but I was playing on a file that already had all 14 emeralds so I just hypered it up every chance I got

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

^ That's usually what I tend to do!

That's a pretty good score Digi-Duck. a really fast time too, although I saw you didn't obtain any of the Chaos Emeralds. I've never played Amy in Sonic The Hedgehog either, so I have no idea how to take your stats!

Also, completed my play through. it was an epic experience!

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It was Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. :v: I suck at the special stages in Sonic 2, so I usually ignore them.

Anyway,

Today: Sonic 3 & Knuckles (as Knuckles)
    Score: 1083360
    Time: 1:31:00 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: AIZ1x2, HCZ1, HCZ2x2, MGZ1x2
    Super emeralds: MHZ1x2, MHZ2x3, FBZ1x2

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

1083360 Seriously? if I'm reading that right, that is an EPIC score!

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You should see my scores as Sonic. :ssh: And no, I'm not abusing the LBZ alarms.

14. I play the classics every singe day, whether it be on my computer, or on my DS Lite, or on Mega Collection + for PS2, Sonic 1, 2, 3&k is an addiction that will NEVER go away for me and will NEVER get old :D Something I grew up with and has made a HUGE impact in my life... then came the tv shows and comics and Sonic The Hedgehog Pasta that I became addicted to as well, lol :-P

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

In the wake of the countdown thread, I downloaded Sonic 4 at 7am in Britain on launch day. By 10.30pm, I had already beaten the entire game, all Chaos Emeralds, both endings and all. It's a great game, and it's hard as nails when it comes to the special stages. I must have attempted them 40 or so times. It took a good 7/8 hours.

It's not a complaint, but the inertia needs to be changed next time. It's still utterly playable, but it puts a bit of a downer on the whole experience sometimes. The iPod version seems to be more similar to the old build. Roll on Monday's Wii version!

Edit: the game can be a bit unfair too. I daren't play Act 3 of LLZ incase I get stuck in a tipping water room which always traps me and spikes me to death. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I must seriously have been one of the first people to ever beat the official release. Is Ken Balough gonna knock on my door and give me flowers now? And Namo, I'll race you on Monday :v:

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I don't have school on monday. I know what I'm doing all day!

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Good luck with that, considering it doesn't hit EU WiiWare until next Friday.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I don't have work on Monday, either!

Or Tuesday!

Or... well, any day! Because I'm unemployed!

Hm. There goes my good mood. :(

EDIT: Anyway, it really is a shame, but I've decided to avoid playing the classics directly before Sonic 4. I think it'll just make the physics differences harder to adjust to.

19. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    BUT, the internet is your friend.

20. NHY

NHY

I have an Xbox and I have Wednesdays off College, I know what I'm going to be doing this Wednesday!

Aside from that, I might boot up and play around with the classics between now and then and I do have an unfinished Shadow run in classic mode in Sonic 1 Megamix as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.