don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Not to be on Sega's nuts or anything, but I honestly don't mind revisiting the old zones for the entirety of Sonic 4. I just think it needs to be expressly said that the game is, in fact a revisit of the old locales. Then we could speculate at what zones would be in the next episode.

Speaking of, there better not be a huge gap between episodes. I could deal with six months. A year or more is pushing it. I just wanna play all of Sonic 4 from start to finish already.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm agreeing with above few posts. The physics of the game are clearly evident from the videos and they don't look right. Slopes, jumping and all that malarky are clearly from Rush. It's definitely a bad thing for this game. I'll still enjoy it I'm sure, but it's just so disappointing.

On to Aqua's comment about the rehashed zones, I really really don't mind them. CSZ looks too similar to CNZ really, but they're all the levels are fine. Besides, its kind of the thing you might expect with a retro revival anyway. Hopefully there'll be more original content across the board in E2 because more rehashes then would be pushing it. As it is now though in E1, no problem.

EDIT: Also note I have a "Sonic 4's ADEQUATE physics! (They're a'ight!)" banner ready just in case some of the most glaring problems are fixed between now and when the last episode is out.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I don't mind the rehashed zones since right now, it can just be taken as trying to be a throwback, never mind they're using familiar platforming tropes.

With that out of the way, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some new stage ideas coming through in later episodes. Aside from the boring as crap Sandopolis Zone, there's not been much 2D love for a desert trope, much less an American West themed one with cactai and such (yes, this is a deliberate plug for Dust Hill Zone being revived officially; no, I don't give a crap if you people still consider it a rehash)

I fear by starting this discussion, I just threw open the door for people to preach a Canada Zone with robotic moose... not that this is a bad idea. Robotic moose... just making a suggestion. And Robotnik as a lumberjack/mountie.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Iizuka's statements goes against what Sega of America wants us to believe. I wish Sega could do something about the "Iizuka" problem (if they even see him as a problem, like we do). Or they could try to be honest and give us the real information about the game, instead of hyping it and delaying it (we get it, you want our money)?

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I don't think most think it's going to be a terrible game. Most think it's going to be a terrible classic Sonic game. Classic Sonic was amongst many things but most importantly, physics. If those aren't present, then people who've been tweaking with them for so many years will of course complain as this is supposedly Sonic 4. Personally I don't think it's that bad (I didn't even mind the minecart that much) and I occasionally have to take a chill pill when I read this thread, but I also agree that things such as dash panels, uncurling and wrong momentum pacings have no bussiness in a game called Sonic 4.

That said, I don't envy your job either.

6. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Despite the complaining over having to press a freaking button to proceed to the next stage for classic progression, I'm glad it's in there...even if I think the world map should only be available once you have completed the game. I'm still holding on to a sliver of hope that the physics and other major issues will be dealt with in the final build, and only one level made for speed boosters will be in episode 2. But Iizuka is really out of his mind to think that speed boosters keep the game flowing.

7. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    At least it'd help with the non-existent Egg Station transition. There should be something happening at the end of the Mad Gear Boss, but the world map will do the traditional dots upward to a Death Egg rehash. =P

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Good point there actually. It's very jarring that you're in an ground based facility one minute, and in space the next just for the fuck of it.

9. If someone mentions buying the game just because it's fun again, I'm going to explode. Whether the game is fun or not is irrelevant and (even by this thread's standards) cliched. We were promised by Sega that we would get another "classic" Sonic game. We didn't. They more or less lied about that unless circumstances change (I.e. Ep II comes out and does things the way it was originally advertised). That being said, I'll still buying the game, because of brand loyalty. I hope that's what they wanted.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I want to get the game because I think it'll be fun to some degree and after a year of waiting, I'm very interested it. But the standards that it isn't living up to... very saddening. Most of the time it looks like there wasn't any effort. I still want this game though and hugely anticipate the release.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    So wait.. buying a game because it's fun is pointless, but buying it just because a character you like is in it makes perfect sense?

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

^ Can we stop with all this crap? You all know that it's neither one nor the other. The game can't simply JUST be fun, because FUN is not a measurement of quality or contextual recognition, and the game cannot simply have the basic structure, because that does not neccesarily make it fun. However, given that the previous games ARE fun, we can safely assume that the more elements of the previous games are kept intact and in check (Physics, style, music, characters, setting etc.), the more 'fun' the game is going to be, and not 'fun' in the general sense, but 'fun' in the sense that it is fun for a game in the Sonic franchise.

I love Mario, but I also love Sonic. If Mario Bros 3 was released titled Sonic The Hedgehog, it would be bad, because I'd assume that I would be buying a product with certain features and standards. Nevertheless, it would be a fun game.

Be not judgemental of my opinion, I am looking forward to Sonic 4, and I'm holding out until the game is released. It's just irritating to see the same conversations crop up about the same negative things for the past 412 pages.

Edit; my phrasing in this post wasn't perfect. It's been a long day.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wait what? I can't buy a game because it looks fun now? I understand that you're butthurt because this game doesn't perfectly replicate classic Sonic physics, and I'm a bit too to be honest, but this is silly. If it looks fun and you want to play it you shouldn't have to force yourself to hate it out of principle, even if it isn't how you wanted it. I mean the Sonic 4 I imagined looked like Rayman Origins, was a full disc game, had Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles in it, and had perfectly replicated physics. This isn't the case, but the game looks fun regardless of what I wanted.

14. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    ^Similarly, I was drawn to Epic Mickey because of the concept art I saw showing dystopia Disney Land, steampunk-Zombie characters, and other things. That's not the direction the game has taken, but it still looks fun. Contrary to popular belief, fun-factor is the reason most people buy games.

15. There are other reasons than just physics that make this game dissimilar to the classic games (for references, see this entire thread). Sega claimed it would be a classic Sonic game, it isn't, it (most likey) won't be. If I want fun, I can play any other game in the world. I would like everyone to stop gushing over Sonic 4 simply because it has Sonic in its name (wishful thinking?). Otherwise, there isn't much that differentiates it from any other "fun" game in the world.

16. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

Dude, I'm outta here. I can't take games this serious.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Trying to read through this topic, and trying to understand the logic made my head explode. Good Job.

No wonder Sega doesn't want to make a good Sonic game.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And if I want fun I can play this. Like, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is a really good game and they delivered in almost every category. But guess what I think that game is boring beyond all reason. Sonic Rush doesn't play like classic Sonic either and I find that game fun. Yes, I know that Sega claimed this would be classic Sonic, "This is truly Sonic 4 as you imagined it" and all that jazz. Yes, it sucks that this game is not exactly what we wanted. It upsets me too. But if I like Sonic games in general I don't see why I can't look forward to it regardless of the fact that it doesn't replicate the classic physics exactly.

And this does not go for all Sonic games either. I don't like Sonic 06 or Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. They have Sonic in the title. They're all bad games in my opinion.

19. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Speaking of level transition, I think it was a great improvement in Sonic 3&K that you could see how Sonic was going to the next zone. I know Sonic 4 Episode 1 is based on Sonic 1 & 2 but I would be disapointed if there was no transition between the zones like S3K in this new game. I'd call that a regression, and I'd have called that the same if they had made it one year after S&K. It was one of the Sonic games' forces compared to other similar games back then.

20. Please read my entire post and try to understand what I was saying in context. And lighten up on the sarcasm, please. I'm not trying to stir up angst, I'm just expressing my thoughts on this. :)

EDIT: Dark Sonic: There's more problems than just physics with the game. How about the art? The music? The level design? The homing attack?

EDIT2: lolololol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.