don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Ok, you get my <3 for that one.

What people seem to be forgetting is that Sonic 4: Episode 1 =/= Sonic 4. It was stated months ago that this is just the prologue and to refamiliarize long time old ass fans (I.e. US) with the series as a whole, basically crunching various elements of Sonic 1, 2, and 3K together. The party doesn't get started for real until the beginning of Episode II! I doubt we will even see rehashes of the old badniks at this point and they most certainly will not repeat bubbles throughout every darn level of the game!

As for the (Western) Desert Zone, I would love to see it, especially with a revamped version of Aquatic Ruin Zone's music.....which means it'll finally be put to it's intended use. Don't believe me? Take a listen HERE and HERE!

Maybe Sky Chase Zone 2.0 will be the best kept secret of this entire game!

2. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I'm honestly really happy that you can zoom past the screen at the end of the stage now. It always bothered me and made me think "He should keep going, not stop...". The "Press Triangle to go to the Next Act" is just the cherry on top, I think.

Ken kept claiming that the inertia will be fixed when jumping in the air (y'know, like how Sonic stops moving when you let go of the Analog stick). Honestly, that tells me that inertia would be something like, Inertia = Value of how much the Analog stick is pressed. If this is indeed fixed, this might also fix the slope problem, as it seems like you get stuck on the slopes when you keep the analog stick pushed in the direction you're going.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

Please go back to Science class. Seriously, I learned this in 5th grade.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm just waiting for my Hidden Palace revival in Episode II. :colbert:

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That was a reference to how inertia was programmed, not what inertia was.

Polygon Jim, I thought you'd be the first to understand what Vinchenz was attempting to say. Son, I am disappoint.

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

He kind of has it phrased more like he has no idea about basic physics.

7. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Oh shit you know what would pwn so hard? If it turns out episode one is just like the intro to Marc's Sonic 1 hack where you start out in a cutscene with Sonic Advance style sprites and then you warp to the classic world. What if it turns out the later episodes are totally different and have nice tight controls and badass music and so on?

8. glem3

glem3

Although I'm sure the game will get better with each episode, they obviously didn't purposely make this with new sonic so they could change it back next episode. The later episodes will be in the same vain as this one.

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Don't be so sure. This wasn't with "new Sonic" this was their reinterpretation of old school Sonic. All I'm saying is maybe Episode one is designed, at least from an artistic perspective, to be retro and camp, and then they'll make the rest of the game more badass.

At least I can dream.

10. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It'll be a good guess to say that the "Sonic 4 Saga" will be parallel to the "Death Egg Saga" so no real storyline in Sonic 1/Episode 1 then it'll start at the end of Episode II then finishing off in the third and whatever extra episodes they wish to throw at us. Either way I'm curious to what this storyline would involve, any guesses yet? Even though it's a bit early to start guessing...

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Is there any possibility of Episode 2 getting a major technical overhaul? I wouldn't mind if it broke backwards compatibility with episode one if the game played like the classics. I think its such a shame that you have to 'fight' for the community feedback to be put in the game (referencing your blog post about the zooming-past-level-bounds feature). I really like that little touches are being made but it is the bigger things that are turning me off from this game. Mostly the inclusion of the homing attack, the gimped spindash, the lack of rebound, the boosters everywhere, sonic losing all inertia when you let go of the controls, and I especially dislike how the bosses are only attackable when the 'game' wants them to be. You should be able to beat the SHZ boss in a few seconds. I know this was probably done because of how easy the homing attack is but the homing attack really destroys any semblance of the momentum based gameplay that was promised. If you absolutely have to have it in the game, I think making it into an elemental shield and replacing the normal homing attack with the insta shield would be a good choice.

Also I know many people are clamoring for tails and knuckles in episode 2 but I don't think the dev team should start adding new characters until sonic is done.

Also I dono if you got my PM at the SEGA forums. It's not important but if you do get it feel free to act on that.

12. glem3

glem3

Sorry that I'm not ruby (:P) but, a lot of the issues there really could be fixed for the final build, and they might be fixed already. For example, things like the spindash, inertia, boosters, bosses, and etc. However, I really disagree with your boss complaint. Firstly, the bosses ARE always hittable. The only time you can't hit them, is when Robotnik is taunting you, as in at the very start. Otherwise you can hit the boss throughout the battle, no matter what is happening, so I don't know what you're talking about.

13. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Uh dude, Ruby Eclipse flat out stated a few pages back that major physics changes aren't happening because it would require major level redesigns.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Most of the things complained about wouldn't requite and level redesigns at all. :colbert:

15. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    I guess I have to spell it out, then? Yeah, I meant what Solaris said, it's as if they PROGRAMMED Inertia to be as far as you push the Analog Stick.

Although I get the feeling there's no inertia in the Sonic Rush engine.

16. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    You know I'm talking about episode 2 right? I know episode 1 isn't getting important changes because the level designs would need tweaking. Also for the bosses comment, try the Lost Labyrinth boss. You can only hit him once per cycle.

17. Flare

Flare

Do you know the work it goes into removing just ONE SPEED BOOSTER! We don't want to wait another month! :v:

Anyway, you can tell that its easier to say "oh we would need to re-design levels" than say "we don't have money or time to edit the engine"

18. glem3

glem3

Untrue. You can hit him twice per cycle. You just have to be fast. That's because of the design of the boss, not because he can't be hit at certain points. Robotnik has ALWAYS been invincible for a second after you hit him, if you don't remember. Or at least after sonic 1.

19. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Man RubyEclipse, you know how you could settle one big argument here really easily? Can you please give us a hint as to whether Sonic 4 ep 1 really is build on the same engine as Sonic Rush or if it was made from scratch?

20. Let's be realistic here.

We pretty much know, given their track record, that ALL episodes of Sonic 4 will feature physics that, even if improved (which I doubt that they ever will), are not going to come close to the original series. If they're not going to take the time to fix it for episode one, then why make the game inconsistent and have Sonic feel better as the episodes go on?

NOW, that's not to say Sonic 4 won't be fun. Because I think it will be. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.