don't click here

Sonic 2 Dimps Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Which is why the term "speed booster" isn't entirely accurate I suppose. And in the 3D games they often don't make you move any faster- hitting them will slow you down! They're just auto-control these days.

Ah well, nice to see this mentioned on Destructiod. I wonder if SEGA will see it.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Whilst I appreciate the Destructiod article, those comments weren't actually good. Looks like they have no idea what a decent Sonic game is to them.

Oh and I disabled comments in that YouTube video due to it being fagged up by those readers.

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    SOTI could you make a version which doesn't have the ear-rape music? I want to enjoy time-attacking the shit out of this.

4. CptScoot

CptScoot

Lincoln, UK
    learning c#
    Aside from the ridiculous comments on that Destructioid article, at least it got some more publicity for the hack and the point might get across to more people who feel the same; also I have to commend you on how much this feels like playing any of the Dimps titles, well done.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hey, welcome back.
    As for an alternative version, my latest disassembly has got a few more changes. I do have a backup disasm which I could slam in all the level edits and revert the music to their original forms. I'll see what I can do, but I can't promise anything. It does give me an idea of a Soundtrack option though.

6. TheBarAdmin

TheBarAdmin

Remember that spike pit in MCZ?

[​IMG]

SOTI nailed it here. Sir, I salute you.

Still needs more overall speed boosters.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It still needs some level redesign to add huge pits under chains of bubbles in most (all?) levels, but it's shaping up nicely.

About changing the music back to the better versions, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of mocking Sonic 4? It would be like asking to remove the unnecessary boosters...

8. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    It's a guy who hasn't been in our little circle of heaven hell, what'd you expect?

On another note, I've been playing Advance 2 recently, and although there are speed boosters in every stage, they are nowhere NEAR as abundant as in Sonic 4. When I just played through Leaf Forest, I counted an entirety of 1 speed booster in the route I used (yes, I know there are more, but it was the only one I hit). I mean, Advance 2 is probably the most speed-oriented Sonic game, but it doesn't have as many speed boosters as Sonic 4, so why does Dimps have a hard on for them in Sonic 4, which is supposed to be as classic as possible?

9. Because Sonic 4 is built on the Sonic Rush engine whose physics don't hold up very well under 400mph.

10. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Some of the comments are just too good;
    There's one guy who liked the change in the music.
    There's one guy who said he didn't Sonic 2 before but now it looks "hella fun" to play.

The comments are just overall amazing.

Did you guys really not enjoy Sonic Advance 2, 3, Rush, and Rush Adventure though? Like, I'd definitely play the modern portables over Sonic 1 and Sonic CD...

11. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Which is really unfortunate, as I felt that the Advance 2 engine would have been miles better than the Rush engine we got instead.

12. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Other than the lacking spin dash, Sonic Advance 2 has pretty good physics so I wonder why the hell the physics went to shit with the DS games. It'll never make sense to me and the physics totally ruined sonic Rush for me.

13. Otama Sanshiro

Otama Sanshiro

~Phantom of Blue~ Member
    How did you butcher the Special theme like THAT?

Any I don't think the music sounds like Dimps enough. I just listened to the Sonic Winter Olympic iPhone OSV and thought that the snowboard theme sounded very similar to CNZ, but I thought that Dimps would've done that.

But back to the special stage, it made me unco for a few minutes there, I missed some rings thanks to you!

14. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

Oh no, don't go against popular opinion, bad shit will go down son.

To be serious, I loved those games, and I believe most Sonic Retro-goers do (at least find them playable). Problem is, the Advance games and the Rush games are called just that because the gameplay are unique to them. They aren't called Sonic 4 5 or whatever, because the gameplay doesn't match the "mini"-series it's suppose to be in.

I'm just rambling, jesus

15. Willie

Willie

I just had an idea that would make this hack shittier but more Dimps like which would be to make it where Sonic can't become Super Sonic except on the final stage. Yeah, it's not a fun idea by any means but it would make it feel more like a Dimps game. I have no idea why Sonic can't become Super Sonic in the levels for the Advance and Rush games. Has anyone from Dimps ever explained the reasoning behind that decision?

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I'm keeping Super Sonic in levels, but Super Sonic will be playable at Death Egg Zone if you collect all of the Emeralds.
    Also, while people go to Summer of Sonic, I do something completely different:

Thinking of moving bosses to their own act since that seems to be a Dimps Tradition now. I'd like to implement relative positioning though so Death Egg can become a Boss Rush stage too.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

They're fun it's just they get old quickly due to the reliance on dash, dash, dash as gameplay. You don't really get to take in any of the unique level innovations or design because it's going past you so fast (though most such designs and obstacles have been diluted to accomodate a high speed path anyway). As such it gets a little repetitive and samey quickly.

That and it was badly mixed with other implementations in the games. Advance 2's high speed 'press right' gameplay was mixed with rather complex item collecting missions which neither the character or the level were designed for (it was frustrating dashing past a special ring and then being unable to backtrack for it, not to mention you lost a single life you had to collect all seven again).

18. Willie

Willie

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Fucking awesome.

19. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Hmm. Needs more zip lines. :colbert:

Graphics could also use downgrading. :v:

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Keep at this SOTI, you've really nailed the DIMPS/Sonic 4 style gameplay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.