don't click here

Sonic 2 Dimps Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    So I made this trailer:

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    LOL that was pure awesome. Dimps might actually think twice about abusing boosters in future Sonic releases if they saw this vid.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    From What I remember, VERY few, if any things share Sonic's blues (since he has to go super and all) so making green eyes would be pathetically easy. I've actually already spoken to SOTI about this. We'll work something out when I get back home.

4. BouncyMushroom

BouncyMushroom

Very nice work you got there SOTI! You should probably get a job at Dimps and present this when they interview you or something. *runs*
    I really did like this hack, and the slightly changed physics and the misplaced speed boosters. Good luck with this hack and I hope to see more features and another release soon.

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Just had a humorous thought. Will this mean we'll see a hack of Street Fighter 2 made to look more like Street Fighter 4? =P

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Wasn't there a green pallet within Sonic and Tails' in S3K?

7. His Super Sonic sprite had green eyes, but his normal sprite had a lighter blue for the eyes. Also, fixed. :v:

8. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    For what it's worth:
    • Sonic (duh)
    • Barrier
    • Invincibility sparkles
    • Barrier, invincibility, teleport and Sonic 1-Up item boxes
    • Sonic continue sprite
    • Background of title cards
    • Background of Tails' bonus plate
    • EDIT: Small wing emblem on Tornado
    • Aquatic Ruin's water surface (yes)

That's all I can remember on the spot.

Yes. Used for Super Sonic's eyes, the background in Eggman item boxes and not a whole lot more (that I can remember, anyway). It's much more used when playing with Knuckles for basically anything that involves the character (socks, bonus plate background, act clear text, etc).

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Why is everyone focusing on Sonic's blue, anyway? His eyes are black, and the black from that palette is used by several other things.

10. Am I the only one who finds this hack taste- and worthless and as a desperate attempt to be funny?

The joke's getting old. And a SAGE release is overdoing it totally because I always saw SAGE is about good things.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's funny because it's true. =P

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    ...Because you do what Sonic 3 did, and sacrifice a non-essential shade of blue (one of the light ones) in order to add green, then change everything that inadvertently became green back into blue and paint Sonic's eyes while you're at it.

13. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    It's too bad there's no award for "snarkiest inside joke," but this one has already won it in my mind :P

seriously I just played through and I actually kind of like it like this.

my main objection to Dimps' style is the serious lack of badniks compared to the original games. Sonic is fast, yeah, but he is also supposed to be freeing cute animals from being robotic zombies in Robotnik's army.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  15. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Ugh. Those comments tick me off. Especially the following comment.

There is so much wrong with this comment I don't even know when to start. Advocating suicide to Sonic fans who support this hack because it mocks the serious game flaws of the Dimps games? Is this guy fucking me? Then there's his statement where he claims people like us should just play the old games while a bunch of people look forward to Sonic 4. Does this guy think we haven't played the old games to death and don't want anything new? There's a reason why there's so many rom hacks out there. It's because we want new shit with classic styled gameplay or just fun hacks in general. Ugh... I'm tempted to make an account on that site just to reply to that BS comment.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Keep in mind none of them have probably played Sonic 4 and don't understand where we're coming from (I haven't played Sonic 4 either but I have an idea what you're talking about). These are people that don't pay much attention to things like this, to them Sonic 4 is classic gameplay. Although I feel like everyone should notice the obscene amount of speed boosters. There was one level in all of the classic Sonic games that had speed boosters (2 levels if you count Sonic CD with Stardust Speedway). That's it. All 4 levels have speed boosters in this game. That's not right. That and not being able to roll off a jump are my two biggest complaints about this game

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They even bring the green eyes subject even if those aren't seen or mentioned at all in the hack.

I don't get why anybody could get angry at this, specially because it makes a very valid point. If they do like Sonic 2 and don't like this version, that means they'd love an un-Dimps-ed version of Sonic 4.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Green eyes always comes up as a complaint whenever any article about Sonic comes up on that site. Always. It's their way to make fun of classic fans, because the redesign is totally all about green eyes because they suck right? Morons.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I totally agree with you. Boosters are definitely not a bad thing if used sparingly and in a unique way. With Sonic 2, the booster was actually kind of generic looking but it was really awesome because of its limited use and wow factor. If those same exact boosters were in nearly every zone, people would have got sick of them. For Sonic 3, Hydrocity had the most unique boosters of any Sonic game which helped make the level extremely memorable. I don't remember what the the boosters looked like in CD because I admittedly haven't played that game very much in the past but they were probably fun.

They hate it because they view it as a pathetic attempt to make fun of a developer they like by putting things in an old Sonic game which has level design that wasn't designed with excessive boosters in mind. Thing is, a lot of Dimps Sonic games wouldn't have needed lots of boosters if the physics engine for their games was much better. I can't imagine what a train wreck Sonic 2 would have been with Rush's physics. In the future, once the physics have been absolutely trashed to the extreme by making it as close to Sonic Rush's physics as possible, maybe two versions of this hack should be released: one with boosters and one without them. It would further prove the point that the Rush physics force the level designers to put a large emphasis on boosters to hide the garbage physics. I have played very little of the Rush game but I remember the spin dash was much shittier in Sonic Advance 2 compared to Sonic 2 and 3. Maybe the spin dash should be weakened in this game if it hasn't already.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

Sonic CD's boosters were probably the most creative boosters ever made (the way they worked, not visually) if that makes sense. They would boost you in relation to the direction you were running, so you could actually use them to go to higher places, or if you weren't skillful they would knock you backward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.