don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I think Vincent just handled this well, so...
    This is Sonic 2 HD, there's absolutely no reason I can think of to include characters not in the original game. We haven't talked much about what is going to be available concerning add-ons, and until the alpha is released, the art for the rest of the game is solid, and the multiplayer is made workable, I don't see it being a priority either. Again, let me say that we need to concentrate on the things needed to get to these points first.

That said, I do look forward to seeing what you can create for a Knuckles sheet.

2. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    I agree with what most here are saying, and support Vincent's statement that new characters should not be added. I also think any post-Knuckles character is horrible, so if anything I'm biased against allowing them in the game, and yet I do think it would be a positive for S2HD to be easily moddable to add or replace art or other assets. If Jimmy wants to add Shadow or whatever to his game, he can download the art and perhaps character logic for Shadow from a fan thread, and plug them into the game. This keeps S2HD "clean" and any unwanted content is strictly released on an unofficial basis.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I want a playable Badnik. Seriously.

4. Flare

Flare

I would rather play the boss battles as the boss.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Now that's an idea. Trying to beat Sonic with Robotnik.

6. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Lol, this reminds me of something I tried to make in Gamemaker when I was a kid. I took a Robotnik-sprite, cut off his arms and legs, and made him Spindash. Good, naïve... retarded times. The game was actually pretty responsive though :D

7. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Hi.

I've been looking this topic for long time and I also wanted to give it a try. As my favourite character is Tails then I tried to do him.

I also put the progress how I did it. I used Flash 8/Flash CS3 for it.

ret1.PNG

ret2.PNG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will continue it later.

I apologise if already this thing is taken. I tried to give him a cute look.

I know it has tails missing and few errors, I'll work on it later. I just wanted to show how this looks so far.

Damn edit after edit.

Wanted to tell people that using filters in flash can give quite nice effects (Like the orange area near Tails eyes)

Also a good way to make these "from one colour to other" is to use this:

[​IMG]

Before make a sphere what's normal white to black fading.

And set the colours from the Tails sprite what needed.

And put it on top of the other layers and you can move it around to see where it fits the best as when you copy the colour from it, it will paste it to the image just the way it's on the top. A nice way to give multiple fadings. It's my way how I do it and wanted to share with others too who are using Flash.

[​IMG]

If one way doesn't look right, move the sphere up/dpwn, copy paste the colour again and like this way you can find the right colour :).

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hi FlackoWeasel! :)

That's surely a nice start on the fox!

I'll point you towards the Drawing HD tutorials as per the current technical directions on Character Art remastering.
    If you wish to contribute conceptual work instead, then don't care about Illustrator Tutorials and just focus on Tails best aspect! ;)

9. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Is there anything badly if I don't have an illustrator? Just wondering, as Flash also makes vector. But if it's needed, I can get it too, though then I need to learn it and it might take a bit time. (If you're used with Flash for so long then other programs seem so wrongly placed and confusing etc :P.) I myself have used Flash since 2004. though I must admit that I somehow "practised" this HD thing before too by getting inspired by this Sonic 2 HD.

http://flacko.mikk36.eu/supaplexHDpicture.png

That what I tried to do as I was not pretty sure how well I am so trying to give for old DOS classic Supaplex a new look helped me a lot. And then I wanted to try on this Tails picture.

I'll have a look at these videos now. Thanks Vincent!

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    If you want to be a Sonic 2 HD framer, then yes Illustrator is needed! (go for CS4)
    Flash don't let you manually adjust vectors's antialiasing and that causes blurred pixels and skips during animations!

Anything, let me know. ^^

11. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I've been debating if I should do this or not, but in the end I figured 'the the hell.' Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

After a bunch of small tinkering, I did the best I can do to create an unshaded chicken for the animals on my own. I didn't see it in the database, but if someone already made the chicken, then disregard this.

[​IMG]

I made this in flash, but soon I'm going to see if I can send it over to illustrator, which I'm pretty sure you can since you can put illustrator drawings on flash directly. (I don't normally use flash or illustrator, so yeah...).

I want to try to get the proportions correct before I start to attempt to shade this little guy. As I said before, I did what I could do on my own, so I'm asking what everyone else thinks should be fixed.

12. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    That is an excellent start Sonuw! It I think it captures the 'cartoon-ish' nature of what it looks like nicely. Although for some reason, it doesn't really look like a chicken - it looks a bit more like a fat, white Tweety Pie [except the 'bulge on its head is in the wrong place] - or a flicky, which is an interesting comparison:
    [​IMG]
    It's not your fault because of that; I just found it slightly amusing

A couple of ideas towards that, from looking at it from a side view, here
    [​IMG]

-I think the red... whatever it's called on top of the head, could be a little more pointed - to show that it's trailing down the back of the head.
    -perhaps have some small feathers on its cheeks, a bit like how the wings look; it's hard to tell what the original's cheeks are supposed to look like due to pixel limitation.

I could be wrong though.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's looking good for a start. For any extra details, I suggest you to look at the official artwork where it appears (which I believe is in the database).

14. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    ICEknight: That's what I've been doing, which was one of the reasons I didn't add the feathers on the cheeks, because they weren't there in the official art.

The Growler: Alright, I made the top red...thing a bit more pointed. And even though my reason for not putting feathers on the cheeks is already stated, I nonetheless added them anyway next to the one that doesn't have the cheeks for a comparison.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Great, this picture was a waste of time. I finally decided to try and see if I can copy the flash drawing to Illustrator, with little success. The lines just do NOT curve. It will appear as if I made the whole thing with the line tool, which is not fine at all. Either I somehow perfect this in flash or redo the whole thing in Illustrator.

15. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'll be honest, it looks like the beak is sideways.

16. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Third time's the charm.

[​IMG]

Changed the red things a little bit, fixed the beak, and slightly altered the wings to somewhat curve down the body.

EDIT: Attempted shading.

[​IMG]

17. Concerning the beak, I think it should be a bit more of a rounded "O" so it looks a bit more surprised. Other than that, I think it looks great!

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That looks pretty good, though it's still a bit flat. Try getting some more contrast in there and adding more shades instead of just a couple grays. I think you could easily go darker and lighter, but it's a good start.

19. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I agree with gambit. Go a bit more with the original shading, (a.k.a. darker) with the medium gray serving as an outlining entity, and a somewhat lighter gray just inside that. Also, you could try making some eybrows of sorts to give it the eye size it originally had—not just two black dots. Other than that, I prefer "Cheek Shaded" by a long shot. Its come a long way.

EDIT: And I'm diggin' the red feathers on "Cheek Shaded" as well. Seems, well, uber! :)

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Keep working on the Cheek Shaded one -- the areas in the original sprite that have black pixels would be the first places to start adding more contrast. And like BrokenLink said, the mouth should be more of an O than it currently is. Nice work so far.