don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Well, my hate of "assface Sonic" isn't much hidden :v: and I had the uncontrollable urge to laugh like The Master once I read your post.

2. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    My failed attempt at a redesign. It pretty much shows that I want it to look kinda like the Sonic from the CD cut-scenes. I really like that version of Sonic, and I'd be happy if I saw him again in another game.

[​IMG]

As you can see, I was going to add that line that modern Sonic has at the bottom of the shoes, but decided against it when I started tracing the sketch. I probably could've made the arms and legs a LITTLE thinner, but I can't be arsed to fix it. My shading is also atrocious. Those three points are why I call this a failed attempt.

EDIT: Just noticed I made the pose similar to the SA-Style Tails running pose. Just to be clear, I was not referencing that.

3. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    [​IMG]

Do I win yet?

4. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Yes. You win now, yes.

5. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    ..that doesn't look that bad. If you make his stomach a little slimmer he'll look exactly how he did in the Sonic ova, which is one of my favorite designs.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yes. Yes you did. I shed manly tears. MANLY TEARS.

Avv'd.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I was driving in my car today and noticed my Sonic X keychains. I actually like how Sonic looks there.
    [​IMG]

That's fantastic, Jof's Sonic for Needlemouse PLEASE.

LOL and if you're interested, here's all of my keychains.
    [​IMG]
    That thing behind them is a stuffed turtle with magnetic feet a kid left at Starbucks like 3 years ago. Also, Super Mario Galaxy Christmas ornament.

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Yes.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'll concur; the shorter spikes always looked more aerodynamic to me. A problem I've got with the newer designs is that Sonic's much more massive quills ripple around with some weight to them, which doesn't look very fast at all.

I'd love to see a real 'classic' 3D model.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Damn, JoF. That's not too shabby. Make the hands and ears a bit smaller, shrink the arms a tad, and it's a done deal.

Man I miss that design that so much.

11. ...0.0

That is PERFECT. The perfect blend of old and new.

12. No no, leave the ears. That's the only thing that the modern design has over the old design. Don't care about the arms myself. And drop the buckle, I don't like it. In fact, just use the old shoes, they are more unique and colourful. I'm gonna go ahead and paste number two's eyes over the final product to compare.

13. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    You know, I have to imagine recreating Jof's edit as an actual model wouldn't be too hard if Unleashed's model was taken into any given modeling program and given some heavy polygonal makeover and some retexturing. I'm tempted to do it myself.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    But, the buckles were always there, they're essential to the design, remember all that jazz about these being basically Michael Jackson's buckled shoes? What I agree however is that increasing the saturation is a nice idea.

15. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The only thing I can think to do is possibly make the shoes a little bit larger. Other than that, it's absolutely perfect.

16. RevFirst

RevFirst

I'd remove the grey soles and make the legs closer to each other. Just brainstorming here.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Jof's is already awesome, but I figured I might as well post my redesign anyway. I've finally got my new scanner installed, and wanted to post this earlier, so here it is:
    [​IMG]

Changes:
    -For starters, looks much more like classic Sonic, but with slightly longer legs than classic Sonic.
    -Shoes have a silver buckle, which has been extended down to the sole. Soles stick out more from the shoe, and have curves on the sides, so the buckle's base fits into the sole's shape. Front of sole is raised at the tip of Sonic's shoe. The back of the sole has a small indent.
    -Gloves have a silver wristband around the top of the cuff, with a silver buckle on the back.
    -Sonic's eyes are mostly black, with a hint of brown at the base of each iris.

18. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Wow. I really wish that's the design they used whenever they "redesigned" him. Different from the original but not too different, and overall it looks very appealing.

19. Jof

Jof

Scotland
    Sonic Fantasy
    Thanks for the compliments on the edits. However, the single greatest 3D model of classic sonic ever created, absolutely has to be this.

[​IMG]

Sonic the Fighters Sonic, Polygons and all.

Why has no one properly ripped this and used it anywhere?

20. John Calibur

John Calibur

oh, oh! I wanna add to the stone soup!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.