don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I'm glad you like it :D

Sky Chase Zone v4

Not that much is changed this time, but I tried to work on the ending, make it seem less sudden and more transitioned. I also elongated it a bit, make it feel more like a full ending and less like a hurried finish. As well, I increased the attack length on the trumpets (the lead horns) from 0 to 100ms, and the release to about 350ms. I would increase the attack more, but the quicker notes won't get loud enough.

2. ancara

ancara

I would have loved to been able to hear it, but fileden won't work on my laptop. :<

Anyways, I have my latest try with Hill Top Zone here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gk0nsd

I went with a harmonica, an alto sax and some nylon and steel guitars for this one. I also went and did a bit of a bass boost to it(hopefully for the better).

Hope ya enjoyed what I did, and tell me what ya think could be improved and stuffs, ok? :3

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    ancara, this one has a few holes that jump out at me:
    -ditch the echo on the sax, it just doesn't work.
    -the bass beats need to be pushed into the background
    -much, much less use of the cymbals
    -the harmonica trill and the section immediately before it could use more volume

Compsense,
    Still coming along nicely. There's a tad too much lag on the higher note trumpets now, though the deeper note set is fine. Adjusting the attack to 50ms should balance that nicely. The release on them sounds much better now.

I just don't see SCZ needing an overly developed ending flourish. I like your idea, but making it simpler could prove a better solution overall. The way you have the flute done at 1:53 seems like it would be a good ending for it slightly tweaked. Less pomp, but still very tasteful.

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    I tried to calm the ending down a bit; I removed the cymbals, snare and bass drum (both of which were difficult to pinpoint, but were part of the "overall sound"), and turned the trumpets down and strings down. I also extended the drums to reach to the end of the song, to keep that slow-ish feeling to it, and added the flute section that you requested. Oh, and I changed the attack on the trumpets to ~50ms.

Oh, well then, I'll just upload it to my own site ^^

<a href="http://www.zusilu.com/eggmangame/temp/Sky%20Chase%20Zone%20v5%20(Compsense).mp3" target="_blank">Sky Chase Zone v5</a>

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Two words.

Absolutely. Beautiful. This one is approved and in consideration for inclusion in the final release. Great job Compsense :) Care to take a crack at the Staff Credits theme for your next project?

6. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    Thank you ^^ it's awesome to know something I've done is good enough to make it in, but just wait 'till ScubaSteve gets his hands on it :P.

Well, that was what I had planned on doing before, but because official songs have not all been chosen yet for the stages, I was going to wait until they were to prevent the song sections therein from sounding different from the game and went ahead with SCZ. But, then again, it would be pretty easy to replace what's there with something else. I think the biggest issue past that is the tempo differences, which will definitely add a touch of difficulty to it - unless of course the tempo difference is fine to be left as is.

Edit: ops, forgot to throw this in. Something I was working on in between criticisms/suggestions.

Drowning

7. For the drowning theme, I love the orchestral elements in it. However, I don't think it sounds as dangerous as it should. Could you try making it sound a but more sinister and disastrous? :)

8. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Er, is it just me or are the notes slightly wrong? :psyduck: I thought it was supposed to switch between octaves of C, not between C and F.

Also, maybe you should open it up with a big timpani at the beginning to make it a little more powerful/"dangerous"-sounding.

9. Agobue

Agobue

Perhaps we could take inspiration from Sonic Adventure's and Sonic Adventure 2's drowning theme.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Agreed. The notes also sound too high and accelerate too quickly. Needs more buildup/anticipation.

11. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    Actually I agree, I'll work on that.

I had a bit of trouble interpreting the notes from the layers, but I'll try to fix it! Also, I'll try something with a timpani in there.

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Actually, I kinda like the notes Compsense used, even if they're not accurate to the source material.

Although I agree about the acceleration being too quick and the lack of suspenseful buildup.

13. ransomrath

ransomrath

Electrocker Member
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Metroid 2 first stage remix
    This doesn't have anything to do with the game, but I just wanted to THANK everyone on here who's liked my version of Metropolis enough to keep reposting about it, and even put it on the Header sticky for this topic! I'll be really flattered and very happy if it makes the final game.

If anyone is interested, I've posted on youtube a clip of the song, because we played it LIVE for the first time at a small gathering, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

For this arrangement, my lead guitar player RonLeitz took the first solo, I took the second, and then my fantastic bass player Greg Hultburg took the third solo, and I hope you enjoy it, even though it's rough!

Thank you guys for the support, I really really appreciate it! and to whoever posted my version on youtube ~ thanks! cause it's getting plenty of views!

here it is! Metropolis Live!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xXFv3eQKLQ
    *edit* - I was playing the keyboards and other my solo, rhythm guitar, and I KNOW the video is dark! just listen instead! :)

also - I don't know if I've posted this or not - but here's my ridiculous remix of oil ocean that I did with AE. Enjoy!
    http://ransomrath.com/planetskill/Ransom%2...T-40_Mix%29.mp3

Thank everyone again! I love you guys!

~ Rath

14. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    Your Metropolis remaster is a fine mix of epic and awesome, I'm just glad something so professional sounding is making it to the game.

It's a shame the reverb in the recording made it lesser than it could have been, but that's still pretty cool.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I would've liked that Oil Ocean remix a lot more if not for the lyrics, but I'm just a stickler like that. :P

16. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    Changed it a lot, but as well, I tried to make it a bit more "dangerous" feeling, if not a bit creepy as well.

Drowning v2

Also removed most of the percussion (and the oboes), they didn't really add to the feeling, just made it thicker.

Edit: Actually, I want to make a small change to the end - and the buildup strings sound too loud, lemme edit that as well..

Edit2: Alright, re-uploaded. Criticisms?

17. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    This one agrees with me more than the other one did. Good job.

:colbert:

18. Holy crap the ending sounds like something out of Dead Space. o_o That said, I like it. :P

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  20. ancara

ancara

Epic drowning music indeed. Add in a subtle drum into there and it's perfect.

Anyways, while I'm trying to fix up my music, I have this from while I tried to do some other stuff. It's my try at Emerald Hill Zone: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lh4c56

It has my usual brass and drums, but also has a piano in there too. Also, I used a pan flute for certain parts because it felt like it needed them. :P

Sorry if you already has a pick for EHZ and I didn't know, it's just that I wanted to try doing myself as well. That's reasonable, right? :v:

Hope ya like it, and tell me how to improve the thing so I can go at it with a baseball bat, ok? :3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.