don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    I've just come up with an interesting idea (Influenced by other people's comments and contributions...); Why not make ALL the metallic and robotic objects as 3D renders?

For one, people have complained that the Egg-Prison looks flat compared to the black/yellow stripe. Why not render it in 3D?

Same goes for the badniks. The only thing I would do is not render their eyes, as that could make them stick out too much. I don't know why, but rendering cartoon eyes in 3D makes a character look a bit artificial if done in a semi/non-professional way. Drawing them in Photoshop or whatever program that's set as the standard in this project would help methinks.

If that doesn't make any sense, it's because the alcohol started kicking in when I started typing this out. :3

But seriously, metallic objects should be rendered in 3D. Looking at the edited renders of Chemical Plant Zone have made me realise the potential of 3D rendering in this project. And I think we should extend it to ALL of the metallic objects, and not just the metallic stages.

2. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    [​IMG]

all you people are fucking my hard work. Thanks a bunch.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    [​IMG]

The shady areas of the prison don't match each other where the dome and the cylinder touch each other.

4. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Well, metal objects in a nature environment are supposed to clash, as they're foreign objects. And even though you think the egg prison sucks, others think the adjustments are wonderful.

Now here's where metal objects will be a concern. The mock image is mixed with WIPs and finals:
    [​IMG]

We have a variety of different grays. If the 3D metal of Chemical Plant can be changed to the silvery-gray (and brightness) that's being used on the objects, then sure, 3D rendering should occur for the zone. Otherwise, there's going to be major clashing with the zone's infrastructure.

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    That comparison shot is exactly the reason why I like the cleaner style for the metallic surfaces better. It has more of the cartoon feel we're after. Adding in tons of texture will definitely create clashes.

Unless MDM wants to take a shot at it first, I'll see about whipping up a 3D render of the Egg Prison so we have some comparison material there.

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Looking at it with the other artwork, I find mine is lacking distinct white highlights. Granted one of the main reasons for it looking weird is that its an entire scene based on a lightning system I have set up and it screws up the tiling system. Objects like the spider, Robotnik-mobile, checkpoint post, and spring/buttons have highlights. Mine are so gradual, that the change in light isn't all that apparent until you try to tile it.

Now in test-objects defense, I do think that the capsule should be textured.
    There are things that should be textured on my 3D renders but aren't.

When I see that checkered form of shading they used with the pixels. it is either a gradient or a texture. Here, I think its both. But I look at the lower portion of the capsule (stripes and down) and I see DISTINCT angles. And that is how I would model it as. While there are beveled edges on your art, it isn't as distinct as I think it should be. I think the top portion of the metal is what is making it look flat. The texture there is overpowering the fact that its shape is skewed cropped sphere. I love the detail in the bottom; If I modeled it, it would be much simpler looking. Its up to consensus as to what is better suited for it.

Some people argue that since its HD it should have all these extra details.
    Then others will say that the details are destroying the integrity of the object's simplicity.

Aren't there capsules in the 3D sonic games? Why not someone pop Sonic Adventure in the dreamcast and see their take on it and take some screenshots from different angles.

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Because it looks completely different, and is N64 quality.

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Its just to get ideas as to what other versions of the device looks like.
    I never played anything Sonic post Sonic Adventure 2 so I don't know if the newer ones have the capsules if the Dreamcast's 'N64' graphics bother you. I'm not gonna get into an argument about that.

9. Changing the gray from Maximus' CPZ to match the other grays requires you to simply select by color and desaturate. This is simple to do in image editors. Keeping the shading style consistent between the different gray objects is the hard part.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It just gets better and better! We're almost there pal! ;)
    [​IMG]

Red mark:
    The light transition on those edges is still too bright, and makes the highlight resemble more a bump than an actual light!
    (even more noticeable on opened capsule frame)

Last thing, the 2 metal bars attached on the dome, suffer from antialiasing issues, resulting abit blurred.
    Can you make them sharper looking?

Keep it up! ^^

----

As per the 3D renders, I'll repeat that unless blended in perfectly (as per antialiasing aspect and colours with the environment), we'll surely need to revector them to handle spotlight and tiling issues.
    That said, even if in the end it won't be a direct port from 3D to tiles, these concepts are necessary. ^^

11. test-object

test-object

snooping as usual, I see?

[​IMG]

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Please do upload it to the DB. ^^

13. test-object

test-object

Sent in my register application for the database 2 seconds ago. We'll have to wait for SaNiK... unless you upload it. Here's the Photoshop-file if needed.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I still feel that the shades of gray used for the top and the middle part are different, but I'm not in charge of this project so I will shut up.

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Just sent you a PM on that regard test-object! ;)

Answering to Nineko, "Approved" means that a contribution is worth enough to be put on the DB, entirely leaving up to the creator the possibility to further improve it on newer revisions uploads.

From "Approved" contribution to "Included on Alpha" however, that's completely a different matter.
    Almost the majority of entries you'll now publically find on the DB, are in a tweaking process to be blended in-game seamlessly.
    (some of them are still in testing stages, as we speak)

16. Does anyone else think that the gray becomes too dark on the sides?

17. I think you're right. I never noticed that until you pointed it out.

You can see the problem that it creates from the mock up below.

See how it blends into the black background? It would look quite strange in MCZ, for example.

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Although I agree with you there, just to remind you that the background isn't even going to BE black ;) - otherwise the bottom of the Egg-O-Matic is going to blend it too.

But the problem I'm seeing here is the lighting/light source between the grabber and the rest of the stuff doesn't really match up.. does it? I suppose since the body of the grabber it horizontal, while the rest of them are verticle, I'm not sure how that affects the same light source coming one to the surface

19. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    The shading of the foreground completely clashes with the already drawn objects. It needs to be lighter and blue-er

Also :O your actually gonna use my spring :O I thought someone would've done an updated one by now XD

20. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I hope they do keep it. It's shading is sexy as hell. My only issues with it are that the coils are too thin and that you never made a decompressed version (uncoiled from when a character bounces on it).

I'll go ahead and say that of the objects presented the only ones that are definate keeps for me are the signpost, tube spring, and the spikes.

The starpost looks a little flat by comparison. It needs a slightly deeper shadows around it's edges especially on the gray metal parts. The ball at the top has almost no feeling of depth. I don't think it should be shaded as a true sphere, but rather like a yo-yo. That's just my opinion.

The platform and eggprison look great in their own right fit each other well, but for WHATEVER REASON they don't fit perfectly with the aforementioned objects to me. I'm starting to think that certain CPZ specific objects will look fine with a texture, but the eggprison which appears in most stages probably shouldn't have it.

The grabber just looks off to me somehow I think its eye is too flatly shaded.

Enough has been said about the 3D CPZ tiles, but it does pique my interests to find out how the metal parts at the bottom of the tube section would with a more shimmery chrome finish. :3

The eggmobile needs to be completely re-shaded and I think the orange seat is out of perspective when compared to the octangular hood above it.