don't click here

Project Needlemouse: old threads

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Machenstein

Machenstein

Didn't someone from Sega say just a while ago that they can't make a game that can appeal to both crowds? Surely the revelation of this game shouldn't come as a surprise to modern Sonic fans. It was bound to happen sometime soon.

I see lot of hypocrisy coming from these comments. Some of these modern Sonic fans constantly plea that we should just open our minds and accept Sonic for what it is now, yet they can't seem to open their minds enough to accept classic Sonic when it finally comes around. This only applies to some modern Sonic fans, but still. Why even try with these people.

2. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
  3. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    That's all we got and IGN claiming needlemouse.com is indeed a teaser site.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    So I was at my school, just cruisin' the web, when all the sudden I saw this. And the person sitting beside me was wondering what was wrong with me, because I was shaking, and I almost cried.

Sega, don't screw this up. I repeat, DON'T SCREW THIS UP.

If you don't, then Sega... it's been a long time. I've missed you.

5. [​IMG]

Any exc use for a repost.

6. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Nothing, but (again) there's no reason that the different sets of Sonic fans can't coexist and drive sales of different Sonic products. SNK keeps 2D and 3D King of Fighters games running alongside one another, with the classic series remaining in 2D (and with KOF XII, going for a 2D/HD "classic" reboot) and the 3D Maximum Impact series designed for fans who want lots of costumes and kawaii~~~! teenage girl characters. The King of Fighters series is popular but not huge, and SNK is certainly a company with less resources to hand than Sega.

So yeah, I don't buy your assertion that fans of modern Sonic must be appeased. I'm pretty hopeful that if Sega maintained current output levels but ensured the future games place a definite focus on an intended target audience, and if those audiences were to accept that they won't necessarily enjoy every Sonic game that arrives, we could have games that will make people happier than they are now.

7. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    If they're really awesome, bet they're gonna call him Robotnik (I hate that name personally, but, meh) in the non-Japan manuals.

8. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

Obviously, we both know that curvy doesn't instantly equal organic, and straight lines do not equal something being "dead". I'll argue that Sonic 1's patterns were a little boring. Leaving out the fact that it's supposedly "iconic", The checker pattern was made up of horizontal and vertical lines, with an occasional indent to create interest. Diagonal lines usually create interest because, well, they're not horizontal or vertical!

Looking at the teaser site, it's pretty ugly. I appreciate how they're trying to go for that fantasy can't happen in real life look, but it feels out of place to me. Sonic patterns and designs consisted of a few different steepness levels in slopes (those diagonal lines). If they want to add some life into the level design without getting that Tim Burton (or Neverwood) look to it, think up some patterns. Seriously, there's gotta be hundreds of patterns that have yet to be put in the levels. Some can be very pronounced like Sonic CD's, or something more subtle like Sonic 3's.

Overall, I laughed at when people saw the video when this thread opened, all but two or three were like "WOOWOWOOWOWOOOWOO This could be IT! OH BOY!" How soon we forget. Glad to know a lot of the hype has died down, though. I doubt that there will be pinball physics (Sonic Rush Adventure had a little, much to my surprise), since they're going for Daytime Unleashed like levels, with some slowdown platforming elements.

So yeah, my expectations are...

1) Those controls better be tight-tight.
    2) Aesthetic: Cool, fantastic patterns found in games like Sonic CD or Sonic 3.
    3) Alternating Paths. BUT make it so you can get up to a higher path without taking away from the challenge of the act. For example, speed+jump at hill's peak=high jump onto upper path.

If these expectations are not met, oh well. SEGA really oughta start thinking about what they're going to do for Sonic's 20 year anniversary.

9. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Don't worry, neither is the guy who thinks the only genres that exist are J-pop and emo (and obviously having no idea what the latter means)

10. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    for some reason reminds me of this video (I don't know if someone already published)

anyway, sonic looks very weird in that video...

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    script for the new game...

"Yes!"
    "Bubble"

Yes

Fucking

Please!!!

THAT is what we need.

12. RevFirst

RevFirst

Oh look, Sonic The Echidna! :psyduck:

13. Flaria Icaria

Flaria Icaria

I'm taken. Member
    ROFL! Seriously, your comment cracked me up. I don't know why but it is sounded funny.

The layout looks great, I like everything looks in there but, looks more of "unfinished".

14. I've read all 30 pages and most people are assuming the 2010 means it will be out in 2010 - what if it just means they are going to announce something in 2010? Maybe a demo or footage will come out 2010, and the game will be out right at the end near Christmas?

The main thing we need to know is this:
    "
    GameSpot: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

Ken Ballough: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.
    "
    My thoughts:

IMHO, the 3D Sonic games have always been floaty, and had no real acceleration (to make it easier maybe?). What I liked about the 2D ones was that it was hard or challenging sometimes to get enough speed to get past obstacles like loops, which made speed feel like it was valuable. then there were bits that you had to use precise timing and jumps for, this added to the reward of going fast in other sections. The 3D games failed at this, as it was either all fast or looking for treasure and there was no reward or reason to go fast (going around loops was automatic). I thought it was virtually impossible to make a bad 2D Sonic game, but several games on the Gameboy Advanced and PSP have proved me wrong - using the new physics from the 3D games. Call me a 2D Sonic purist or fanboy, but I just want them to finally get it right for once, I've been waiting for so long, could this be the one?

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Incidentally, how have we gone 454 posts without someone posting this (or something along the same lines)?

[​IMG]

=P

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I must be living in an alternate dimension, because I've seen 18 years of good video games in the Sonic series.

17. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    To be honest the first feeling I had about this was... surprise. One would think SEGA would rather want to appeal their main customers - random casual players, than their hardcore fanbase; I wasn't expecting this to actually happen at all.

That said, the idea is cool and all, but if that teaser site is actually legit (I'm really hoping it's not) I'd be very disappointed - granted it is an improvement, but I would rather have, you know, actual 2D graphics...

Anyway, whois says the owner of that site is "A Happy DreamHost Customer" - so I'll stick with the idea that someone made it up unless otherwise can be proven.

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Sonic Heroes: too repetitive
    Shadow: Too Repetitive
    06: Terrible and frustrating...not even finished to boot...I could never get a decent spindash.
    Unleashed: A step in the right direction.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Heroes: I don't think it's too repetitive.
    Shadow: Not too repetitive to get all A ranks.
    06: don't own PS3 or 360
    Unleashed: I like both parts of it equally.

20. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member

Lol I can't believe you actually did it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.