don't click here

The most annoying moments of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    That boss has to be the easiest boss of all the genesis games...

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I think it's definitely the hardest to hit. However, the DEZ second form of the giant robot in S[3]K is kinda tough if your timing is off. Still, you get to keep your rings on the first run so you get the luxury of a couple extra hits.

I just find the special stages irritating. Getting into them gets to be a little tricky come the later levels, and I guess because I didn't play it as much as a child I'm not very good at them when I actually reach them (I can run through the stages in Sonic 2 and S3K really easily, though, which nary a scratch barring one section of one stage in each). Since I feel that not doing so is akin to actually outright losing the game, failure to do so (and there are few opportunities to get there, mind) is a huge disappointment, and I usually stop playing.

YES I KNOW ABOUT THE RESET TRICK. I THINK IT'S CHEAP.

3. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Everyone has mentioned the same stuff, so I'll say something that annoyed me that nobody has said yet.

I dislike Starlight Zone because you can't run super fast through that zone without falling to your death via bottomless pit. It ALWAYS happens to me at least once in act 1. I forget that place is just a bunch of platforms in the middle of nowhere, so I'll be going fast, go over the loop, then completely miss the 3 spinning platforms and fall to my doom.

Also, in Emerald Hill Zone act 2 if I'm not careful I get killed on spikes. I lose my shield, lose my rings, then I die.

4. Loggo

Loggo

Rafina
    Yeah, that's because you take the lower routes which are based on classic platforming elements with bottomless pits. If you take the upper routes there's not even a single (if I'm not mistaken) bottomless pit.

Star Light Zone is an absolute genius in design.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Gonna have to try this at one point. Thanks.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I hate the way that the spikes in Labyrinth Zone can still hit you when they're retracted.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The most annoying moment is Marble Zone 3, definitely, when you have to stay a lot of time on that moving block (and yes, I saw it was already pointed out once). Oh and yes, the moving blocks in Spring Yard Zone, though most of them can be avoided fortunately. I don't mind the rest of the game

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Woahwoahwoah, STOP right there!

This is my favourite bit of all LZ. I continue running, and roll toward the Orbinaut (thus, under the height he shoots his spikes at), smoothly leaping at him right after he fires the first; leaving a fresh hole in his defenses.

Seriously, this just feels amazing when done right. Try time-trialing Sonic 1, you'll get a new respect for it's many nuances. <3 Sonic Jam.

My personal annoyance about Sonic 1? Marble Zone.

9. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    The camera bug in GHZ1.

10. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    In LZ I'm not very often collecting bubbles. Instead I'm running as fast as I can through the level. Today I've been doing this again, with this result:

[​IMG]

Damn!

(And yes, this picture is faked, but I really had this some time ago.)

11. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Being dropped back into Labyrinth Zone right before Final Zone. Sucks.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sonic 1 is the perfect sonic game, no faults.

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    What's with all the LZ hate? You guys must really suck; there's one bubble I ever need to get in the entire zone. ONE. BUBBLE.

It's one after the tubeway/handrail section in LZ3, where a red spring is used to get a switch.

Scratch MZ and I'd agree. :)

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, this is annoying, definately. Easy, but annoying.

This used to annoy me a lot more than it does now - I just rise as fast as possible until the water passes me, then I just take my time. Can usually make the rest of the way before the timer starts.

This, on the other hand....
    This is probably the only section of S1 that bothers me at all, now. If I take this route, it's about 50/50 if I'll make it though without dying at least once.

15. corneliab

corneliab

I came in here to mention this, but lo and behold, someone already did. And there's even a snazzy little snapshot, so I don't have to bother. Awesome.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't think those bits are completely awful, but I hate the shoddy crush detection between the objects there.

I also didn't like similar crush detection in Sonic CD.

17. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I probably just suck, but the LZ boss always pissed me the hell off.

18. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    The Marble Zone.

Fuck that shit.

19. Master3k

Master3k

This.

Other than that, nothing. Sonic 1 is easy(ish) and fun.

20. The most annoying thing has got to be when you beat FZ and then you jump off the ledge.
    First time this happened I just threw the controller on the carpet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.