don't click here

Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I don't understand why people complain so much about SonicR.

I used to love playing SonicR. What was cool about SonicR is that you could take several shortcuts, had to get hidden itens during the races, etc. I used to try to get all chaos emeralds, all Sonic tokens, finish in first place, and win against the rival in a single race.

2. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    This is why we need to think about it:

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/06/23/asr-why...ic-is-in-a-car/

Apparently, having Sonic in car has a backstory to it, which all but confirms a storyline, which, were I a betting man, likely means a single player story mode where things will need to be unlocked to enjoy the full game with friends.

I don't know if I like this in terms of the game's direction or quality. In fact, if this is seen as Sega's response to Mario Kart, it worries me quite a bit.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Hey, at least we can't ask "Why the hell is he in a car?" this time

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Diddy Kong Racing had a story mode.

Just saying.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Superstars Tennis had a story initially, but it was canned sometime during the development. I do have to wander what the heck it'll be about this time.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonic's car is cute. Game will be a pleasant diversion; enjoyable to those with either low expectations and high tolerance, or low standards and high levels of idiocy.

Will be hated by dried-up, jaded has-beens the Internet over.

7. HAY on the TSSZ Poll, I saw that Ryo is an option for most wanted Sega character to appear in the game. So, does that mean I'm not the only one or that my original post inspired that option?

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic lost his running shoes.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    "WHY IS SONIC IN A CAR? HE'S TEH FASTEST THING ALIVE! BAWWWWWW!"

I sure miss the days when you could make something completely absurd for entertainment and children not yet weaned off being spoonfed every last thing they've every learned wouldn't ask FUCKING MORONIC questions like that.

[​IMG]

WHY'S A DUCK IN SPACE? WHY IS A PIG SMALLER THAN A DUCK?

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Alternatively: combination of OutRun-esque engine and fun characters will produce a good game that can be enjoyed by those who actually have decently high expectations of what a mascot racer should be.

Just maybe, eh?

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I have been taught well not to be optimistic about the Sonic franchise, especially not the spinoffs.

12. Cap

Cap

Surely the story will just be something like they had in the original riders game. Everyone has to join some tournament and win.

Personally though, I'd like to see a story set out a bit like the one in Brawl. In other words, no voices.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'd like to disagree there

14. PsychoHog

PsychoHog

New Jersey
    Locating music in Sound Tests for classic Sonic games
    Who cares about the storyline? He's the fastest thing alive. He can't be beaten. Look, I think everyone pretty much agrees that putting Sonic in a car is like putting those slow shoes on him in Sonic Labyrinth; it seems like a good idea, but it's not!

When you can go at speeds of 300 miles per hour, a racing game is out of the question. And yet they continue to push that idea. And people will continue to buy it. They will buy anything with Sonic's face on it.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Though Sonic Labyrinth managed to retain Sonic's speed better than some give it credit for, the issue that I feel most people really have with it is the general lack of control to be had over Sonic when doing so, and that when not spin dashing Sonic is even slower than most other platforming characters, thus diluting what is arguably the most important point of his gameplay along with the jump attack (which was also removed in the game) to a point of utter ridiculousness. The lack of control made the pinball mechanic clunky and awkward.

Putting Sonic in a car does not rob him of all his speed. Christ, the minute anyone tries to do something that's not Sonic running straight through a level, everyone gangs up on 'em. Mario never had this problem with the tennis game, for example; regardless of the quality of the title nobody was asking why he wasn't hitting tennis balls with a plunger or something equally stupid like that.

(And that's not even going into how much crap people will put up with in the parts of of the games that have Sonic just running through shit are, as that's another beast entirely.)

17. Jeiku

Jeiku

Putting Sonic in a vehicle always felt strange to me, and it's not something I have been able to really make much sense out of (in a game designer's perspective, ignoring the story). But aside from Sonic Drift, I haven't actually minded any of the games that have pit Sonic in a car of some sort, and I liked Sonic Riders and Sonic Rush Adventure anyway (a lot more than most of Sonic's other 3D entries; I even liked Sonic Pinball Party more than any of the GBA games...). My only gripes with the Riders series were the awkward controls and, at least in the first game, steep learning curve, but I don't really complain about the concept so much as wonder about it (at least not anymore, I'm sure I thought it was stupid when I first heard of the game). I enjoyed them for what they were worth and I'm sort of looking forward to at least trying out a demo of this game.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Like it's been echoed several times in this topic, and thus it bears repeating once more for emphasis, which will STILL be ignored or poorly rebuttaled...

It's a spin-off game. Sonic's natural foot speed is of no importance here. I'm surprised no one bitched about Sonic being able to swim in Brawl, even though it was just a gameplay mechanic... like him using a car!

Leave the spin-offs to do their own thing and don't hold them up in the same light as a main series or storybook title. Just because it has Sonic on the logo doesn't mean it has to be canon to everything else.

19. Jeiku

Jeiku

I don't really care in the long run, though, since I focus more on how the game does on its own than anything else. And I have the capacity to enjoy spin-offs more than main titles (Paper Mario/Yoshi/Wario for Mario, for instance) so it's not a huge complaint of mine.

20. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Assuming you like Sonic Riders, what if they were to add the Temjin to it but not allow you to use the Gliding Ram as a board? Just as you would expect the Temjin to ride the Gliding Ram, you'd expect Sonic to race on foot.

Sonic riders is tolerable because it's as much a sport as it is a race. On the water, I could travel faster in a boat than on a surfboard, and this is the same deal, sort of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.