don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Toon Render #3: Midway point between the previous two renders:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As Vincent was curious :)

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks Tyr.

We'll use it for a final comparison with Gambit's. ^^

On a small note, Test-Object's Explosion has passed the quality check and is therefore "Approved".
    Please do upload your source files, and send it privately to either me or CK.

If case you've still interest on adding more frames to smooth the explosion, you are welcome to add them. :)

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  4. I know we can't all agree, but I've heard 4 people now saying they liked the old gold rings that weren't completely torus-like. Could we at least get a little more insight into why the change was made? You're going to have a tough time convincing me that sprite is one way or the other... Are they based on the promotional art?

Oh, and I'm loving the new shading Tyr. I could go for a little more gold, but I really think what you've got there is soooooo close.

EDIT: I missed your post on this page... Color is perfect, but Gambit's right that it needs a bit more metal feel to it. I reserve the right to completely change this opinion once I see it on a background - it could be just fine as is!

Gambit: the new lighting looks a lot better, but it still feels like kind of a sharp transition in places. Cutting down on the sharpness (either by hand editing or upping the ambient) should improve it a bit. If you're going to up the ambient though, you might try darkening the ring color a bit to keep the rest of the lighting feeling the same (so that it doesn't end up too yellow).

Just my 2 cents.

5. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Dunno if this would help in the slightest, but, do remember about the Sonic 2 Jap Promo Video which featured renderings of the levels with yellow rings.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
  8. The thick ring done with a toon shader:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moved the light source a little bit too to make it spread better.

9. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Could you please provide an APNG with both Test 3 and this version for comparison purposes?

11. Sure :v:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I can darken the thicker ring too if needed.

Wait I was being dumb, I'll just make the proper APNG.

Here ya go:
    (Sorry if there's any freezing, again it's because the PNG is in really high quality..)
    [​IMG]

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks Tyr,
    Please do note however, that without the mockup EHZ BG behind, it's pretty difficult to see how it actually blends in-game, with only a single blue colour! :v:

Indipendently from which one you may prefer, the "thick" donut, still seems very un-elegant than the thinner ring.
    Everyone here knows how much I enjoy the community to voice on art critique matter, but on this case I just am not convinced with the current result to make a poll yet, due:

-The thicker it gets, the more plastic it feels with this shading. (which looked pretty nice on the thinner one)
    -Changing the shading once again on dark colours, could make it clash terribily bad with the BG and characters, so other major adjustments may be needed.

Possible Solutions:

-Try out an inbetween of the two shapes, while keeping the exact same lighting system.
    -Balance differently the "donut" shadowing consistency feel, while not making it look plastic-like nor clashing.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    The thickening of the ring is far too exaggerated in that last version. Vincent's comments pretty much nailed what I'm seeing. Also like he stated, we'll probably reserve putting up a poll until the final version of each ring.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Eh, I've been playing around a bit and I ended up making some nifty rings. Not sure if these could be tweaked at all to your guy's liking, but I figured I'd post 'em anyways. The ring on the left is darker than the one on the right.

[​IMG]

15. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
  16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    So many experiments on these little fellas! ^^

[​IMG]
    The latest one, looks really metallic but:

Red: It has outlines which clashes with everything overlaps it, and the pitch Black contrast too much. ^^
    Green & Purple: There is something strange about the colours, it seems 256 colours restriction artifacts.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Oh yeah. I didn't render them on maxed out settings, so there's some artifacts. Maxing some stuff out should fix that, though. :P I can throw in some lights to the lower portion and have them emit some light on that, it'll be tricky to get the right balance, but if you like this ring enough I'll work on it.

18. Why don't you change the world shadow colour to a dark gold instead of black?

It's how I did mine.

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Hmm, never thought about that. I'll have to try it out.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!