don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Ah, I knew some stuff was missing from those mockups we've been using. :P I'll mess around with my ring more and I'll see if I can get a little less contrast without messing up what I already have.

2. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Ok people, I wanted to draw another set of Chaos emeralds following the original sprites, what do ya think guys?

[​IMG]

I colored each emerald, they're not just recolored with a Hue change.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    They look way too much like shiny plastic for my taste EL. I'd stick with the version on the database for the time being.

Not much to add on the most recent ring update except for what's been said. Adding steps in the toon shader (or at least this is the process in 3Ds Max) should smooth it out in short order.

4. Elratauru

Elratauru

Well, maybe, strangely enough, the other set of emeralds are the same way, however they got that "ring with light" inside, maybe I should add something like that...who knows... Now that I look the original sprite... they looked a little "plastic" too me anyways (I know they are not plastic xD).

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I really like those emeralds. The only thing you might want to fix is the yellow one looks a little "burnt", but other than that they're great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Why are all the rings getting brighter? I preferred them all when they had the contrast.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Seconded. Bring back the gold ring please.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  9. Trying out a toon shader, I've got more contrast now:

Test 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I just noticed that there's some misalignment between the flower tiles and the grass tiles in those EHZ mockup images. Are those older versions of the tiles that were just put in for the ring comparisons?

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Let's see them in action:

[​IMG]

Yes, I'd love to jump and collect them both! ^^

Test 1, Toon shading is excellent, except for a slight overall brightness I cannot spot anything wrong,
    Test 2, This one is especially amazing: contrast, shades, golden reflection and animation blends in pretty well with both spikes and springs.

Having the curiosity of a "Test 3" (An inbetween version from the two above), I've got little doubts on it at the moment, people make your voice heard now! ^^

*CK, yup it's a mockup alignment's problem.

12. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    For fucks sake Sonic, don't just stand there!! GRAB THEM!
    Test 2 is a ring I can't argue about: it's loyal, it's spot-on, it's Sonic.

13. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    2 is not only the logical choice, it is the ONLY choice.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Ugh, wasn't able to access the site all day for some reason. I did that last ring when I was kinda tired last night. Anyhoo, I'll work on fixing my ring up again if I have time after my homework is done for tomorrow. Now I also want to know if you guys want me to go more in the direction of my original ring (the more realistic metallic finish) or a more cartoony look. I've just been modifying the original phong shader (the more realistic one) this whole time instead of using a toon shader, so if I don't get any responses to this before I mess with it again I'll go with a toon shader again. I actually really like toon shaders and I did the majority of my final in my 3-D class with them. :P

15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Gambit, if you've got any more revisions, this is the time to post them up! We're getting very close to the final rings :) Again, amazing work on these guys. They've turned out even better than I anticipated.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I plan on it, but I gotta do a few things for school first. :P And do you want me to use a toon shader again for this next one, or just go with a normal shader?

17. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Most of the success we've seen so far in matching the style of the rings with that of the rest of the art has come from toon shaders, so I'd stick with that. That said, if you want to run a pass with a phong/blinn/whatever you were using previous, that's completely up to you.

The final comparison will have both yours and TW's rings side by side.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    <!--quoteo(post=290269:date=Mar 15 2009, 07:52 PM:name=Canned Karma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Canned Karma @ Mar 15 2009, 07:52 PM) [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Elratauru

Elratauru

20. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Yes, highlight for the shine needs to be brighter and the shade at the bottom is once again too dark.

Am I the only one who prefer's the shape of TyrantWave's older ring?
    <!--quoteo(post=289569:date=Mar 13 2009, 05:18 PM:name=TyrantWave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TyrantWave @ Mar 13 2009, 05:18 PM) [​IMG][​IMG][/quote]