don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Rokkan

Rokkan

Hydrocity? Nope, I can't imagine it. But in Labirinth Zone and in Tidal Tempest I can totally imagine it.

2. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    Slower music is fitting when you walk underwater.
    And that music has good parts, when that water is coming out of walls and stuff.

But that's just me.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Here's the problem: everyone has a different interpretation of what is good Sonic music. Don't just see this in our own contributions: compare Nakamura to Senoue.

I think Tweaker is right: we should not be depending on Stalenhag's (or whatever his name is) music just because we're going nowhere with it. I personally don't have a statement to make about anyone's individual contribution and whether or not it makes good Sonic music. Everything I've heard in the past couple of pages is good in its own right. It's up to you to decide what goes in and what stays out.

I want to give my own idea of Sonic music, but getting VST to work is futile, so I'm just going to port VOPM to Audio Units. I can also give an initial contribution in real (*cough* GarageBand *cough*) instrumentation, if you'd like.

4. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    I agree that Simon's music doesn't sound sonic-y enough.

Digging that remix. It's awesome.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Here's something that I needed to do for a while now, an "act 2" version of the theme I planned for the first stage.

http://www.box.net/shared/8b9uzk9e9f

Thankfully it doesn't sound TOO much like either Greenflower Zone from SRB2 or Ice Mountain from Advance 1.

EDIT: How could I forget this? Bonus stage tune idea. I know it's short and repetitive, but I think that's what the Bonus Stage music should be. I don't want something too long that would try to encourage people to stay in the bonus stage for too long. I say that we want people in and out of it as quickly as possible so that they can get through the main game proper. (Incidentally once you get Hyper Sonic in S3K it's quite possible that you'll end up spending half the game time in the bonus stages since you can blast through the main stages so fast.)

http://www.box.net/shared/v4m2mi38lp

6. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

Wow, this is brilliant!! The only niggle is the chord change at 11 - 17 seconds and again at 29 - 35 seconds, it sounds like something in an american musical, I understand that it's to break the monotony of the music but it also breaks the funkiness. I reckon you could make the chord more like a piano or like a bell (think NiGHTS) and it'd sound perfect.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    @Sailu: Your music is okay, but I still think your first one you suggested (forgot the name :flunked: ) is the best of the ones on that page. I don't think the instrumentation needs changing for the first three, but the composition is not really in the sonic style, though the first one would fit well in the Rainforest Zone as I have said earlier. Also, about that Canadian Zone song, yours is slower but the composition sounds too much like it.

8. Rokkan

Rokkan

<3 the Bonus Stage song

9. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    The zone music reminds me of Sonic Adventure for some reason.

10. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    Thanks for your compliment :)
    I think "Hightech City" (the name of the song you like) fit well in a sonic level but it is likely too different from the traditional sonic themes. I'd really like seing it in this project but I don't think this song is approved unanimously!

As concerns Canadian Zone I've listen to your link and actually my song looks too much like this Crash Bandicoot track. I'll go on trying to compose more appropriate music(s). Don't forget I started working on this project since only 3 days.

Ones of you think no one song here is enought sonic-esque. So, what do you think about remixing the song of the second zone of the first sonic on Master System? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdazlXAJNo
    This theme is really beautiful. We could keep the main theme and improve the song.

11. Sciz

Sciz

12. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    Argh... nasty Sonic Nexus!
    However I've got something for Circus Zone. I think it sounds sonic-esque at last!
    http://www.everyoneweb.fr/SailuMusic/

I still have to change the end which is too annoying.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member

Yep, sounds like you got the Sonic composition style down! But I think you should use better instrumentation. I'd like to hear that song using some of the voices you used in some of your previous works.

14. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    It is just the composition, made with Guitar Pro. I would do this music again with a better software if I were sure almost all of you enjoy it.
    I could redo it with a software I usually use (listen "Hightech City" for an example) or with a software which emulates Genesis sounds. Tell me what you prefer: a cleaner and modern sound, or a old sonic-like rendering ?

I'm also working on a music boss while I go on studing the sonic orchestration style (finally more interesting than the metal or electro musics I usually practice!)

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  16. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    You mean like say on Mac OS X? :-P Oh, and you might be in violation of your terms of use for Giveaway of the Day (but don't ask me).

This definitely gives me the Sonic CD US feeling. In fact, I think you're using some of the sound effects from Sonic CD. Nice work!

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't believe it's actually a TOU violation as this isn't a commercial product...otherwise SEGA would be on our asses most likely anyway.

18. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    What I think I'll do at this point: play through the Genesis Sonic games with the volume off (but because my TV set is retarded, it'll be extremely low) and come up with stuff in my head as I play. Perhaps I'll record the music as I hum it. :-P

19. Sokaris

Sokaris

Here is a man who stood up. Member
    I'm really liking the stuff that muteKi is making, and that miniboss music reminds me a lot of Spinball.

20. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    This is just... wrong.

See, I play Sonic for the awesome music in it. Which fits. Your composition is great and all, but I honestly have no idea where it would fit; take Sonic CD as an example. The JP soundtrack is amazing, and it fits. The US soundtrack however, I despise, for many reasons. Most of the music is good, but it isn't Sonic-y. Now while some would argue with me, this is said alot among us. Just my 2 cents though, I'm probably talking out of my ass.