don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I thought I'd contribute to those making Mega Drive-style music.
    Here is a zip file containing all the FM voices from Sonic 1 (and a few square wave voices too, I think) in opm format. To load opm files into VOPM, use the import function. If you want to use these voices in something that uses tfi files, look for vopmxtfi. Thanks.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Moved the entire thread over mainly for the discussions going on. And for reference of any previous material or suggestions submitted. If you have the time, would you kindly read what you can.

Right now though, let's get on track. What I want to hear is some concepts of what you think the next Sonic game should sound like.

Like so!

(I think that's by Twaker.)

3. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    That first one is ok, but it makes me think "end credits" more than it does "first tropical zone"

I sincerely hope we aren't using these kinds of instrumentation. The first one just sounds poor quality and in the wrong style. The second one, The melody might be ok, but I can't get past the sound. I don't know what that is in the front, but it sounds like the universe itself took a cosmic dump

4. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I am going to beat your ass if you post it one more time.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    And I'm still asking what is the target format, since there hasn't been a decision yet. Each format has some features but also some downsides.

MIDI:
    +: probably the most widely used format, a whole lot of people (including Tweaker) are familiar with it
    +: can be speeded up and transposed in real time
    +: files are tiny
    +: although not part of the MIDI standard, it's easy to set up a loop point (see Sonic & Knuckles Collection)
    -: not very flexible
    -: their outcome is hardware depending (though most computer nowadays just stream MIDIs through the Microsoft Synthetizer)

Modules:
    +: highly flexible, with a module you can recreate everything, from a chiptune, to a MIDI, to a 2612, to... whatever you want
    +: can be speeded up and transposed in real time
    +: support looping and jumping natively
    +/-: files, while being usually bigger than MIDIs, are always much smaller than WAVs, and often smaller than MP3s
    -: not everyone is familiar enough with trackers to completely use their potential. Picking module files would restrict the number of eligible composers

MP3:
    +: just like module files, mp3s can sound like whatever you want, with the additional benefit that you can use any program to make them, thus giving everyone the chance to contribute songs
    -: files tend to be big
    -: a complex FFT algorithm is needed to indipendently alter speed and pitch
    -: hard to loop

WAV:
    No.

This is a start, if anyone wants to elaborate from here, feel free to.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
  8. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    OGGs are the jam. I use 'em.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    And what if someone wants to port to Sega Genesis? Or to MS-DOS? Obviously the two won't work right; Genesis can't read from any of these types, and MS-DOS needs drivers.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Snowball's chance in hell with E02. Let's not have this discussion again!

For what it's worth, I'm vouching for modules. Sure, Nineko is the only person around here who's familiar with them, but there's no reason why you people couldn't work with the format if you actually tried. I'd never done anything music related in my life, and even I was able to wring something decent out of Modplug in half an hour.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've been using XM files for what it's worth* (though the tracker doesn't seem to like to save the panning and volume set in the general tab though, for some reason). ModPlug is very easy to use; I just wish I had better samples to work with.

If we could get some good (and fairly diverse) sample sets for the project then that would be awesome, and could go a long way

Another thing I like about XM or other tracked music is that they're a HELL of a lot easier to edit and modify.

*If anyone actually wants the original XM files I can put them up, too.

12. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    ..What?

I'd like the XM versions, if you don't mind

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You can't set a default panning position for XM files. You can do that for S3Ms and ITs.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ah, well that answers that then.

Anyway here's the zip set; as noted there are volume balance issues abounding in these, though so it may take a little fooling around with to sound good:
    sonic4xm.zip

15. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Thanks

I had noticed this the first time you uploaded "boss4.xm" but hadn't gone on to figure out why at the time - It plays fine in modplug, but it crashes Winamp. That problem is apparently common to all of the XMs that make use of "effects plugins". I really don't know what exactly they are, but I do know they're not part of the basic XM standard, and seem to be more-or-less tracker-specific. I imagine they're pretty much just for listening to in specific tracker programs and/or modifying the sound strictly for output to wav or some compressed PCM format, but in either case, you won't be able to use them in XM audio for the game

16. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
  17. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Hmmmm, I wouldn't say it's crappy. I'd say it's not as Sonic-like.
    But it's a good start, keep at it

I think the main tune voice is abit droney, not really when we're used to in classic Sonic games. Perhaps if you tried a different voice for it, that might give it a different effect

18. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Ok. I try fix things up.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Not what I'm looking for, sorry.

You gotta remember, the title screen theme wasn't just used for the title screen but also as the invincibility tune.

Sonic 1
    Title Screen
    Invincible

Sonic 2
    Title Screen
    Invincible
    Super Sonic

Sonic 3
    Title Screen
    Invincible

Sonic and Knuckles
    Title Screen
    Invincible

Shit's gotta be IN YO FACE catchy.

===========

Also, how many of you are familiar with modules?

20. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Yeah, I know about that thing.

I did extra life and Invincible theme
    but they are currently in other use.
    (Also song what I posted)

I try to make something up later.