don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Well, I wouldn't call it making excuses, I genuinely thought the "uber" one looked better. But eh, what do I know? :P

2. Juki

Juki

Oldbie
    Manchester, England
    definitely not Terra Galactica
    This topic is hilarious. I'll be 85 before this is even close to finished :P

3. Sciz

Sciz

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]
    I really like how this experiment looks even if it seems too blurred (due the edit nature)
    Please have the source files of the Uber flowers so you may refine / experiment it more (Flower3 is not uberized yet).

DOWNLOAD

Feel free to edit them as you please, and show the progress on WIP project thread, until it gets approved than moved on the database. :colbert:

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    We could use the sprites from Knuckles Chaotix that they could fit better.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But... That would make no sense. :)

7. Sciz

Sciz

You could try to adjust his feet in his standing sprites to both be facing forwards, I suppose. That and a little shading work is all I'd bother with, and I'm not sure about the former.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If you think a blue sonic hedgehog makes sense so I think I'm crazy xD

Seriously, I would not even touch knuckles until Sonic 2HD is finished, because it is confusing to release Sonic 2 & Knuckles HD as Sonic 2 HD. Knuckles Chaotix sprites uses the Sonic 1/Sonic Crackers style, so it is technically a step before the Knuclkes from Sonic 3...

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That's kinda true; I mean, Ohshima was back as that game's character designer, wasn't he?

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh sorry, I thought there was quite a lot of serious effort being put into this project. =P

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Arbitrary changes such as changing Knuckles' sprite style are the exact kind of things that we need to avoid. Why do you think that so many people keep suggesting to stay as close to the source material as possible? Everyone who liked Sonic 2 and its stylistic design are bound to like Sonic 2 HD, as long as we stay true to the original product.

This is why I was so uppity about a pause menu a while back; we have no idea whether or not the original designers would have wanted a pause menu, but we definitely know there's a reason they used the Sonic & Knuckles spritesheet—because it was A) the only available design at the time and B) because it could be drawn from the Sonic & Knuckles ROM via lockon. Changing that because you "think it will look better" is totally baseless—beauty is entirely subjective, and your definition of "better" should not be forced upon everyone else. The best way to make sure we all are on the same page here is to, in this case, use the original Knuckles sprites. Period.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I couldn't have said it better. That's basically the reason why I'm always trying to keep things as faithful as possible, because changing stuff around will please some, but annoy others.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I think I posted more than once to agree with ICEknight and Tweaker. If there was a poll about original content VS über content, original would get my vote.

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD

15. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Thanks, at least someone like me here. :v:

I suggested because I think it would make sense. Sonic 2 & Knuckles has NOTHING to do with the original artists! So the art style is different, so there IS an option of using a more close style to the artists! I like Knuckles sprites from S3 than I like the ones from Chaotix but we try to think as the original artists team.

Well, there is no "Period" in Sonic 2 HD. Period :psyduck: . It is not your decision and not mine, I only suggested, I'm not against or in favor, I only wanted to know the community opinion. I wanted to see arguments and discussion, the Staff is here to make smart decisions based on the community's main opinion. In Brazil we say: Two brains work better than only one!

Yes, simply like that =P

No one told me that, so that's why I suggested that...

Yeah! My second slogan: Less complaints more work! =P

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Moved posts on the same General Project Thread & Feedback.

I feel everything in regards to this matter has been discussed and explained enough on the previous pages.
    That's why I encourage everyone to keep use of this topic and its free time, in a different and more productive direction! :psyduck:

18. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
  19. Sorry, but that idea was already suggested (and sort of not really liked) a few times before in this thread.

20. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

Just a question that came to my mind, and it is as follows.

Have you guys been talking about if we should or shouldn't allow the games' fullscreen-mode to be played in 16:10 instead of 4:3 stretched into 16:10? I know it's not precisely 4:3, but you get the idea.

If we're going to "modernize" the game, this is something to consider, now when so many people are using widescreens.

But if the game is played in 4:3 but not stretched in fullscreen (like on Youtube), that would work too. It's how the game was planed way back then, so yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.