Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Not like it matters, because it's on the wiki, too. =P

2. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    Alright guys... In the spirit of being generally helpful, I've compiled every individual track from every song (that's one track per FM/PSG channel). Now none of us have any excuse for missing any note ;).

Sonic 2 Individual Tracks

Please note that whenever a track was empty I just threw it out; they aren't missing.

Also, here's a rough, early version of Emerald Hill. I haven't put much effort (yet) into the mixing/EQing/mastering process so any helpful comments regarding those aspects are also very welcome.

Emerald Hill

The title theme and Hidden Palace are also coming.

P.S. -- Archiving those tracks was seriously boring (I must admit), so I probably made some mistakes. Just let me know and I'll fix it.

Edit: I almost forgot -- thanks to those that mentioned In_VGM for indirectly inspiring me to compile the tracks :thumbsup:.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Excellent as always, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the finalized version.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't like how you used brass for the supporting chords instead of a pad or a proper string. In addition, you got some notes blatantly wrong, despite having the original source material for them.

Other than that, I really like this rendition, though your synthy brass could be a bit more realistic since it sounds like it's coming out of an old 80s Roland keyboard or something. =P

5. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

OH, US
    Both brass and strings are in there. I just put the brass more up front.

I made the song solely by listening to the source. There are no wrong notes. The only change I made was thickening up the backing chords on the choir. Could you be more specific as to which ones you think are wrong?

I agree about that though :thumbsup:.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Right... at about 4 to 5 seconds, when the main bassline comes in, the fourth note isn't the same as in the original song. I think it's about one note too high—try bringing it down and it should sound okay. This same problem occurs a bit later in the bassline as well, I think. Admittedly, it's not a huge deal, but it can sort of take you off guard when you're expecting one note and getting another. :P

7. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

OH, US
    Gah! You're right... *facepalm*

8. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    ScubaSteve, awesome work on the EHZ, It definately keeps the synth feel without being too MIDIish, with that I'm impressed. Everything sounds fantastic except for the drums, they don't have the power they should have. Either they're too quite or it's the wrong kind of drum, perhaps something that's closer to the stuff being used in people's attempts at the Title Screen (e.g. Master Emerald) would be better.

Also, thanks a lot for those individual tracks. It'll make it a lot easier to more intelligently critique stuff.

9. One of the things I like about this EHZ arrangement is that it does "conservative" rather well. The arrangement is clearly very much like the original, including the instrumentation.

I have to agree with the brass sounding like it's coming off an 80s Roland synth. Perhaps you could layer a different brass instrument on top of it, mix the timbres, and add a slight chorus effect? Also, perhaps the lead could use a little more reverb; it sounds particularly dry in the section right before the repeat to me.

Overall nice work! :thumbsup:

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Awesome as always.

11. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    I'm ecstatic that your working on Emerald Hill Steve.

The only feedback I have for now is that I think there should be more emphasis on the descending drum beat at the beginning.

I think it would add more of a kick-start "here we go" type feeling. Here's an example from Cinossu's version:

http://www.filedropper.com/1_137

Also, brilliant work on those tracks. I've uploaded them to the database.

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I'm loving the energy that has behind it. Not saying it's perfect for what you guys seem to be going for by any means, but if there was a way to integrate that opening with the style scubaSteve has so far... Food for thought, at the very least.

13. burpingcat

burpingcat

I wish the bass was more prominent in it. It's the best part of the song, IMO. Aside from my opinion, though, I've always thought it was more prominent in the original.

14. Magitek

Magitek

USA
    I wouldn't mind seeing the bass be more audible as well, I love it too, heh.

15. I know people frown upon Guitar and Metal-I-fied versions of the songs, but I have to post this, it's like an 80s Metal version of Hidden Palace Zone and I think it's done very well, a lot of things change and obviously not sutable for the game, but wow, it's good.

http://crawletas.googlepages.com/hiddenpalace.mp3

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sort of deviating from the current subject, but since I've stopped being a bitch, I've been slowly uploading my music to the database. I'd like to suggest that all other music contributors do the same—this way we have a definitive hosting service for the music, and have the ability to store revisions as the song is being developed. It's a very useful way of managing contributions, I think. :eng101:

Though I don't think all contributions are going in there... so I'd contact one of the project leaders (Athelstone/Vincent/Blue Streak) first to determine if your contribution is appropriate for the database. For example, so far I've only been uploading music that either doesn't have other contributions yet or has been well received as a whole. I don't know if I should upload my Emerald Hill since it's been accused of being too synthy, especially with scubaSteve's version on the floor now.

It'd probably be useful if somebody told me which of my music is being seriously considered for use; my connection is sort of on the fritz right now, so uploading takes forever and a half. I'd rather not waste time if I don't have to. =P

17. Tweaker, it's great to hear that you've re-uploaded your music.

Personally, I think your EHZ is a fabulous rendition. The synth bass is total win to my ears and the choir pad gives a unique flavor. Whether it is right for this project is a separate question, but since we haven't put any music to an official vote yet I think you should upload it.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Not to take anything away from the obvious level of effort Tweaker has put into his contributions, but I'm honestly torn on the choir pad (thanks Blue for finally putting a name to that for me). Given the style he created in the piece, it's appropriate, but I'm not sold on if it works for the level. As I lack musical background, I can't judge music on anything more than a feel basis as of yet, so apologies in advance that I can't be more specific.

I would cast my vote for scubaSteve's rendition as it is, but it seems unfair to give that one the kudos when it was clearly WIP.

19. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Great to hear you're using the database Tweaker, thank you :eng101:

For me, your Metropolis is one of my very favourites. - and I like your Oil Ocean too.

Also, if everyone could remember to upload their music to the database as 320kb OGG files (preferably inside ZIP files) that would be great.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Using Zip, Rar, etc compression on already-compressed media files serves no beneficial purpose. In fact, in many situations, it will actually bloat the size of the file! I don't know if that's commonly known, but I find it rather pointless when people compress mp3/ogg files.

I should be able to render my music as OGG—pretty sure FL Studio supports that. If it doesn't, though, I can export as WAV and use an external encoder. No big deal. :eng101:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.