don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    The people who wanted a Shadow skin aren't satisfied and the people who don't want anything Shadow related in Classic Sonic at all are still upset, so no it doesn't please either side of the issue with people WHO CARE.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Honestly I didn't see any reason to expect a true "Classic Shadow". Classic Shadow has been off the table for a while now, even before SEGA suddenly started claiming to care about the canon. Canonically it makes no sense at all - they'd essentially be throwing away many years of lore. Expecting a true Classic Shadow feels like setting yourself up for disappointment. It would've been kinda cool, but it was literally never going to happen with how SEGA is now treating the franchise. This is a funny as hell compromise, that's for sure.

I think the root issue is that SEGA is claiming the canon now matters, while simultaneously not changing how they handle the franchise at all. If they never started their "We Want The Lore To Matter!" shtick, people would continue to forgive the already-shattered canon, while appreciating the times where lore seems to make sense. But no, they're doing things the same way they always have. The people making the content clearly don't care as much as SEGA does. They're shining a big spotlight on it while not actually changing anything about how they handle the canon.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  3. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    The Sonic canon is always in flux, anyway. There will be no true canon no matter how SEGA or Sonic Team is/are trying.

4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Idk if it's an unpopular opinion but I think retroactively making classic Sonic into a younger version of Sonic was a dumb idea in the first place. It just puts an unnecessary limit on what they can/can't do with the classic aesthetic imho and it feels like the classic Sonic that exists now is more of an exaggeration of early 90's Sonic rather than a continuation of the Saturn-era Sonic. I think a lot of Sonic fans want there to be a Dragon Ball Z-esque timeskip where classic Sonic is 'Kid Sonic' and modern Sonic is 'Adult Sonic'.

Realistically if we want to get crazy, I think there should be nothing stopping them from making a game with the classic aesthetic that takes place after Frontiers. It's just an aesthetic and I wish they would play around with it and experiment with it more. It's the same as how Wind Waker has a cartoonish artstyle but takes place after Ocarina of Time in Zelda canon.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  5. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    Yeah I’m in complete agreement. I think they shouldn’t be limiting themselves at what they can do with the classic games imho. I want classic shadow lmao

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nah, it makes perfect sense. Keeps the classic themed stuff free of what a lot of the Classic fans feel made the franchise worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Classic Shadow RULES

All we need is some proper animations and to get rid of the seam.

8. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Too bad the onesie doesn't resolve this at all. Really not sure what's so preferable about it to the anti-Shadow people besides the schadenfreude of knowing that it's ugly and for Shadow fans.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    But the Shadow Pajamas are right there ruining my Classic Sonic Experience, reminding me that 23 years ago Sega made a game that I hated.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Very irresponsible of SEGA not running this by the lore team before green lighting this optional non-canon throwaway DLC.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • List
  11. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    You guys are taking this too seriously. It's an optional, non-canon, cosmetic thing. Like the Monster Hunter outfit in Sonic Frontiers. Don't tell me you guys think that's also canon and came up with lore to explain it too...?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    [​IMG]
    Well actually, when Sonic made that detour in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Seems more than just a seam. It looks like the material property of the onesie is different than Sonic's skin, giving it different colors in different lighting.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    look it absolutely ruins my fanfic if in fact shadow and rabbit aren't actually the same character at different points in the sonic superstars story

15. aria

aria

i think sonic messed up and ended up in marvel vs capcom infinite in a better timeline where we got a second season of dlc (it did not save the game)

edit: i just remembered the whole rathalos in smash thing but im going with this

16. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Classic Sonic's entire point is being "Sonic without anything that came from Worse Sonic™", so I was already surprised that they made a Shadow costume, most will argue that they should surprise us further and make an actual Shadow, but that's a fight I'm not dying to have

I feel like they just wanted to avoid making Shadow an official part of the Classic brand, even if in a non canonical form. They want you to play these games without thinking about the Worse Sonic™ as much as possible... or at least, as much as they can while still capitalizing on the upcoming release of the third movie and Shadow's popularity, but I digress. I don't necessarily agree with the mindset, but if I'm right, I can kind of see how they got there. For better or worse, Classic Sonic as a brand exists only in relation to Modern, and its purpose is to not be shitty like Modern, so somebody thought it was better for them to indirectly reference a Modern idea, instead of introducing it in some form into this brand

I'm not exactly frustrated in this specific case, actually, I'm finding it hilarious because it's almost as if they did it as a joke just to annoy as many people as possible, it's pretty ridiculous. I've never been interested in the idea of a Classic Shadow, since he, like many other modern characters, are designed to fit alongside Modern Sonic specifically, so Classic versions of them almost always look incredibly off, I've never seen a Classic Shadow made by fans that felt like it belonged alongside Classic, and I sure wasn't expecting a tie-in skin DLC to be the one that would pull it off, but then again, you never know. I'm not saying it's impossible to make it work, and there sure are people that wanted to see that happening, I just feel like I'm able to take it a lot more lightly, because the idea always felt pretty silly to me

17. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    OBVIOUSLY, this was a humorous birthday gift from Modern Sonic during the events of Sonic Generations. :P
    There will be a whole story segment in the remaster that will focus on Modern Sonic racing against the clock to purchase a gift for this impromptu guest sharing the same birthdate as himself, but the onesie is all that he could find.

18. aria

aria

sorry if there were like 50 classic sonic rom hacks with shadow in the 2000s and we were all cool with it then. there's nothing stopping him from becoming a character in a classic game. i need classic shadow. i need the edge.

being serious, i do not think shadow existing in a classic game is the end of the world. it's a risky move, but i think he'd work with an obvious redesign to make him fit more into the classic style (ohshima classic shadow please). i understand that people take the lore in this series seriously. but i've been checked out for so long, i merely do not care. give me my funny edgy hedgehog.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. I just find it incredibly funny how we've reached a point where Classic and Modern fans outright demand things to be as segregated as possible regardless of how much sense it makes and how limiting it is overall. No Green Hill in Modern and no Modern shit in Classic.

And this is considered a good thing.

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    In the case of a Classic Shadow, it is. :colbert: