don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I don't care what anyone says I love that Shadow costume and I think classic Sonic looks adorable in it. xD He's trying his hardest to be edgy.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I want to believe the pajamas are the result of Sega wanting cross promotional content for the upcoming 3rd movie and Shadow Generations, but Sega of Japan having decided to keep the 'classic' and 'modern' Sonic worlds separate going forward.

Sure we have a handful of characters who appear in both, but just like how we should never expect a modern appearance of Ray or Bark, we will never see a classic interpretation of characters like Shadow or Blaze. I guess it's left to the fans to modify the model. Though the previously suggested Rouge outfit for Amy would be funny if we're being limited to only costume cameos.

In other costume thoughts, it is a sin that there are not more costumes for Trip. How is her armored outfit not selectable? Why are there no Lego or cel-shaded skins for her?

3. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Trip not having skins is likely a result of Sega wanting to keep the fact that she's a secret playable character, well, secret. A lot of people who just got Superstars for Christmas are still playing through it. So to announce skins for the secret character would take away the impact and surprise of her being playable.
    And in terms of Lego at least, they only used the characters that you can actually get in sets, which is why they use their modern designs, so they probably wouldn't want to make a Lego Trip when she's not in any actual sets. I do agree that not being able to play with her helmet on is strange though, seems like an easy enough swap- the model's already there after all.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I feel like these two statements are their own replies to each other. Should be a skin option.

5. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

This is adorable and although free, wouldn't this have made sense for Halloween? (they even had a Santa DLC.) Maybe they originally intended on rolling it out sooner. Still want those Comic Book skins.

6. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    Sonic Halloween costumes tend to lean more into the themes of Halloween rather than the basic concept of wearing a costume, in Sonic Channel art, Sonic tends to wear a vampire cape. It's been specifically stated that it was a celebration of the announcement of Shadow Generations, and I don't think it's any deeper than that.
    And it's just cute to imagine that classic Sonic saw Shadow and thought he was the coolest thing ever and just had to make a costume to look like him.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    So? It still sucks. Just because it is free doesn't mean it is exempt from criticism.

8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The initial version of Kazz's post implied it cost money, which was wrong. I was correcting them.

I don't know why the fuck people are acting like the skin is some sort of massive rip-off. It's a goofy free cosmetic item and nothing more. Iizuka has repeatedly said we're never getting Classic Shadow, so just be happy you got anything at all. If you want to play as Shadow, congratulations, you're getting Shadow Generations later this year.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Classic Shadow canonically is in a stasis tube/chamber as a grown (adult?).

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    A classic Shadow design would be cute. But also, we know exactly what it would look like. We're not missing out on some amazing opportunity for alternative character design here that nobody has ever conceptualized (if anything, we're being saved from the kiddies who quote-tweet everything SEGA does to yell "the canon is being ruined!"). As a silly little extra, Sonic dressed in a Shadow suit is honestly more of a novelty. I think doing an actual Shadow design would ask more of them than a simple "hey go see Movie 3 this winter" reminder.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, but now one has to wonder why a Shadow suit exists in the first place if he's allegedly "in stasis". Did G.U.N. make it? Does Eggman have it lying around as a momento from his grandfather that Sonic pilfered from one of his bases? Why doesn't anybody remember it by the time SA2 happens?

This throws the entire canon out the window, and I'm going to have a meltdown in the continuity thread for 5 consecutive pages.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's not a big deal to me at all. But it would clearly be better if it was just a Shadow character model. Like the Rabbit.

13. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Nah, Classic Shadow cannot be exist. Period.

14. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    this debate is so funny to watch because i immediately get pinboards with clipping vibes

15. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    So remember how this costume is considered a tie in to Shadow Generations? upload_2024-2-16_11-3-3.png
    We can just assume Superstars happens after Generations, classic Sonic thought Shadow looked cool as hell, and just wanted to dress up as him.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    I like Iso's idea but it doesn't work canonically for different reasons. Classic Sonic is just younger Sonic in Generations and he still doesn't recognize Shadow in SA2 despite apparently having a terrible Halloween costume of him in his Classic days. I genuinely think the best thing to do here is to just not think about it canonically, and I'm personally still in favor of just a better Shadow costume for Sonic in this case since he's literally not Shadow in story or gameplay anyway. I still think it's weird to be OK with the Shadow onesie but not Classic Shadow when they both imply the same canonical problems.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I thought it was going to be like the Rabbit costume, a complete reskin but because it's a costume and not a character it doesn't effect Canon.

What we got instead was a literal Monkeys Paw situation that doesn't really please either side of this issue.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    On the contrary, maybe the reason he thought Shadow was a "fake hedgehog" was because he saw Shadow as just a set of pajamas come to life, not a real person.

19. I dunno, it seems like it's just people who wanted a Classic Shadow skin that are taking issue here, everyone else either doesn't care or likes the onesie.

As is always the case with stuff like this, mods are the solution

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Shadow jammies for the rest of the cast mod? I'm in.