don't click here

Power the Next Level - Sega IP Revival Initiative

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Curious about Sakura Wars since they revived that series fairly recently and it was met with a lukewarm reception. Either it's a sequel to the 2019 revival that fixes the flaws or a remake of the original.

2. Trippled

Trippled

2019 Sakura Wars was a great game imo. It needed to be on PC and Switch to be successful. Wrong choice of platforms hindering success is common for Sega.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    In a world where Fire Emblem is now a series of S-RPG waifu games Sakura Wars decided to not be exactly what it was.

I don't know why though.

4. Trippled

Trippled

The SRPGin Sakura Wars was lite, so it was never a big factor in its success. 200k only in Japan on PS4 is still impressive. Could of reached 500k with Switch imo

5. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I loved Sakura Wars 2019, enough that it convinced me to go back and play the fan translation of the original game, so I would of course love a sequel so I can spend more time with Azami, but it still being stuck on PS4 definitely doesn't help it. I get why it was there first, it was a reasonable platform choice if they had to choose one, but I would have at least expected a PC port by now. Actual new Sakura Wars stuff would be great, but I think the smarter decision is to a) port 2019 to PC and Switch 2, and b) a collection of at least the first four games, translated for the first time. Now that Fire Emblem is so big, I think the series just needs exposure to catch on. Though I wonder how much Fire Emblem fans would gravitate towards it, with it mainly being a dating sim with strategy battles rather than the reverse like FE.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I watched New Sakura Wars being LP'd and enjoyed the story parts, though much like So Long My Love I don't actually care for the gameplay all that much. Tended to tune out during the battles.

7. I loved the PS4 reboot it was so well done and looked and sounded so good too. It was a pure project of love and felt like it was made by the original team. I get why it was on the PS4 to start with, but I agree I would have loved to see it on the PC and also XBox where one would hope Phil would pick it up for Game Pass.

It still gets to me this day that Benrine picked that silly little fight with Working Designs over E3 Booth costs, which made sure for Western Saturn owners to miss out on Grandia and no doubt WD would have picked up the Sakura wars Saturn games. It a shame SEGA never looked to bring the Sakura Wars DC games over, they have some of the best visuals and effects you'll see on the system.

Hopefully, all the games will get translated at some point. I really love one day for someone to translate 3X3 Eyes on the Mega CD. I loved the 2 Manga videos we had in the UK and the game looked so close to series.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  9. It seems like this guy is only talking about the Crazy Taxi reboot. I can't find anything from the linked article talking about the new JSR game.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Later in the thread they mention JSR. This person is apparently an industry insider, not sure how reliable they are though.
    https://x.com/mbkksstbhz5/status/1759685034296885464?s=46&t=MHTgOqh_ka45HS8oxL2mzw

11. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    If your Jet Set game doesn't include police ear destroyers and paint bombs I ain't playing it

12. Who is this person and why should I take their wild claims as anything other than wild guesses?

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I dunno, I liked Sunset Overdrive.

14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I looked into it more and this person is known as 'Midori'. She apparently has a 100% perfect track record when it comes to leaking SEGA/Atlus stuff. Obviously there's still room for error and it's always best to take this stuff with a grain of salt, but she seems more reliable than your standard 4chan leaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    We shouldn't forget that nearly every single detail they've talked about was already rumoured by other sources, including the Fortnite live service thing. Can say that they're really just playing it mostly safe or corroborating all of this further.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm gonna call the shooting gameplay being paintball-related. That's the only safe way they can pull it off.

17. I agree but Onishmia did have a gun so maybe SEGA will play on that you also play as the Police to stop the gangs. I don't see SEGA messing up Jet Set Radio at all, can't wait for the game.
    JSR and JSFR are still some of the best games going and so SEGA.

18. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    So is Monkey Ball part of this or uh..

19. I think any SEGA IP is up for it. Though I doubt Money Ball is going to be part of SEGA's big budget sequels I hope SEGA is also working on big Budget sequels to VF5 and PSO2 and with horror games coming back looking to make a big budget sequel to Deep Fear or a remake. That is a underrated Saturn gem and a fabulous horror game

RIP Rieko Kodama

20. Trippled

Trippled

well aside from the gap 2013-2018, Monkey Ball has been a constant on Sega's line up