don't click here

Sonic Anniversary Symphony going worldwide

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by grantpa, Jun 23, 2021.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

On the subject of photography/video. I mentioned a while back that filming would likely be restricted, But I did also say this...

* They may.... allow you to cheekily do the odd 'video/picture' however I would be very surprised if the Front of House staff don't come and tell you to stop if you take flash photography, or if they see you filming for extended periods of time or if you are jeopardising someone else's enjoyment, or the big one, putting the performers at risk (flashing lights etc).

The section in bold/underlined is the one that I'm surprised is being allowed to happen in Act 1 at least. So far I don't think anyone has taken the utter piss and had a huge camera/tripod set up, but I have seen people literally streaming chunks of the shows and recording big parts of it from the start.

If any of the venues have signs up saying "No recording", I guarantee you that's a 'to cover our liability' kind of thing and for more 'calmer shows', so if they did have to remove someone they can say "You were warned before entering", and for the calmer shows well... It's probably a lot easier to get the audience on side to remove someone filming Romeo & Juliet the Opera than it is to remove the people recording the theme from the Chemical Plant Zone.

But maybe there should be more of a voice asking people to show a bit of restraint for Act 1 at least? Certainly during the performances at the very most.

2. Quick_Lobster

Quick_Lobster

SEGA & Disney Historian Member
    Atlanta
    If they’re not disrupting the performance or making a scene to others, I don’t think it’s wrong for people to take photos or videos of events like this, unless if they’re trying to record the whole thing, then yeah I’ll agree it’s wrong.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    For what it's worth, I didn't think the audience was that bad during the first half of the 8pm London show in terms of noise - some laughs, but it was obvious that they were prompting them.

Second half was essentially a rock concert and the rules are entirely different.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    One thing that was a little disappointing was the way Sonic 3 was handled. The conductor stopped, addresses the crowd, and said "You guys having fun? Ladies and gentlemen...Sonic 3!" and...it was just Sky Sanctuary. I know it was the same thing in the anniversary stream and I know they need to make room for new arrangements, but the way it was hyped up was rather silly.

5. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    Went to the Seattle show last night (featuring Jun Senoue and Casey Williams). As others have noted, the orchestral first half is definitely not a traditional symphony experience, what with vocal audience reactions/responses all but encouraged, while the second half is basically a rock concert. The music itself was solid, with a couple of new arrangements from Unleashed/World Adventure and Colors debuting at this show. (The Sonic CD medley could have been better with the inclusion of a few of the US tracks, IMO.)

As I haven't yet played anything beyond the Genesis games, Frontiers, Superstars, and Dream Team, I was worried I'd be a bit out of place. However, in such a large gathering of Sonic fans, it was impossible to not get caught up in the pure energy and passion of the event. And while I don't have the emotional connections to the Adventure-era music tracks that a lot of other attendees do, I definitely felt the impact Senoue's presence had on the performance. All in all, a top-tier celebration of Sonic's music, and I'm looking forward to attending the Portland Show in March.

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I've no intention of being snarky or anything, but I'm honestly kind of impressed that you haven't played anything between the Genesis games and Frontiers. It's like finding people that don't know that Darth Vader is Luke's father.

7. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    LOL, that can be blamed on getting distracted by delving into romhacking, plus doubts about my ability to play 3D games (had never played any before Frontiers, and am still not the best at playing them). I am familiar with the storylines of all of the mainline games via reading fanfic and wiki articles, but it is time I give at least Adventure and Adventure 2 a try.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    GodDAMNit I was going to watch episode 5 for the first time tonight >:[

+ - /j  

Anyway, regardless of etiquette, I wouldn’t want the two halves of the event to be smushed together in one two hour stint of symphonic rock. We already get some of that in the rock section anyway, but I don’t think it’s worth losing the symphony stuff just because some people are being rowdy. It has its own vibe and sound which I want to hear, even if that means putting up with some whooping (though I admit I’d rather not).

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I’m seeing this in July and I’m super excited! Plus Sonic got a shout out at the Golden Globes tonight!

10. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Went to the San Francisco show with my wife the other night. Was a fun time.

I came prepared.
    [​IMG]

11. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I'm seeing the Toronto show next month and am very much excited

12. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Someone rip the video so we can download it.

14. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
  15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Thanks.

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Has anyone on here ordered merch from the concert tour's shop recently and experiencing delays? I bought a poster during Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and it still hasn't shipped.

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Probably been answered in the thread, but for those who have gone, how long is the show? Would have to take the train into New York City to see it and it says the doors are at 6:30PM and the show is at 8:00PM. I doubt it's 4 hours, but is it any different from what was streamed in 2021? I just want to be able to make a train back home after the show is over, obviously. So if I were to go, if the show starts at 8PM, around roughly, what time would it end?

18. OrionNavattan

OrionNavattan

Tech Member
    Oregon
    The show runs for around two hours, including a 20 minute intermission between the orchestral and rock sections.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Cool, so I should get out of the show at 10PM. That's perfect. Thank you!

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Just got back home from the DC show Saturday. A very high-energy crowd with a similar setlist to the last few shows. It was weird and quasi-religious to be surrounded by even more vocal fans singing and humming along to tunes I know and mostly love. Hearing Rooftop Run live was downright euphoric, and easily my favorite piece. I definitely wish the symphony portion of the show was more prominent. Not to say the rock section was bad, far from it. I loved hearing What I'm Made Of live, along with many others. But like the games, I feel the vocals should kick in (at least in most cases) for the finale. I know everyone has their favorite track, and with roughly 90 minutes to work with you can only pick so much. But having a 70-30 split of instrumental symphony to rockhestral seems the ideal proportion instead of 50-50. There are way more games to pull from with instrumentals, and better emphasizes the orchestra.

I must stress this is a nitpick. I had a wonderful time, and definitely recommend seeing the show when it comes close to any of you.