don't click here

Power the Next Level - Sega IP Revival Initiative

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    "Ree-star" and "Wrist-star" are basically the same pronunciation. Notice how her pronouncing it as "ree-star" becomes "wrist-star" as she says it quickly. Anyways, that's how it should be pronounced. Blame the SoA marketing using the tagline "Catch A Rising Star!" for why people don't know for sure.

...I'm not entirely sure how discussion became this, but it's good to clear that up I guess. :psyduck:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Will we see a 2D Ecco 3 to finally finish the 16-bit trilogy, or is Ecco still in custody battle hell?

I'd like to echo Nik's comments that to truly embrace the Dreamcast energy, they'll need to do some brand new IP as well, which would be interesting to see.

Barring that, it could be interesting to revive really ancient and obscure franchises - Ninja Princess, Girl's Garden, Master of Darkness...

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Speaking of Ristar's name, do we know its meaning (if any)? I mean, besides the obvious part.

Like, does Ri- comes from another word? Possibly a Japanese one? Or is it just a syllable they picked at random to attach to star?

The tagline mentioned above suggests it comes from rising, but as stated that was just SoA's marketing, so it's probably irrelevant.

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'm pretty sure it's just a play on "wrist". Since he grabs stuff.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Then why isn't his name spelled Wristar?

6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Trippled

Trippled

Lack of key art and placeholders for JSR and CT make it seem they are farther away.

I think Shinobi is due next year

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Can police officers stage a "revolution"?

9. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    If you got turned into a robot by your boss, yes.

10. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    The "increase your fans and create a movement" bit on the JSR pic gives me "social media influencer/hashtag/going viral" vibes and I... suddenly find my hype levels being tempered a bit.

Will obviously withhold full judgement until we get more news, but still.

11. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I mean, obviously as a graffiti artist Beat would be the person who would have a Cohost account and have a high knowledge on the "Four SECs" if he existed today. JSR in the age of social media would be perfect.

12. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    That is true. I just kinda hate social media in general lol.

13. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    The "Make friends, increase your fans, start a movement" description on JSR leaves me a bit worried. Reserving my judgement until more footage is released but that description mixed with an open world immediately makes me think of a live-service styled game... Splatoon-ish... Which is not what I'd want to see from a JSR revival, but I'm just going to blame my pessimism until I see more

14. I remember an interview with the Yakuza studio saying that JSRF was the start of their 1st footsteps to open a world like gaming where you have a living breathing city. At a guess the start a movement is allowing players to make their own graffiti tags and look to have people joining your gang

I've no issues with SEGA trying to make money from JSR in ways like players being able to buy new tags or costumes and with in-game advertisements.
    Just as long as there is a decent 12 to 20 hours main campaign mode in the game .

I love to see Ollie King being an unlockable extra in the game too with support for multi player

15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The Golden Axe characters look pretty ugly from the front.

16. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I thought they looked a bit over-designed from the back already. Jesus, How hard is it to just bring back Gilius, Tyris, and Ax as we freaking remember them, without a bunch of extraneous tattoos, scars, and armour?

(The originals are going to be DLC, aren't they? 'Course they are.)

17. jjw

jjw

Funky Monk Member
    Another franchise I'd love to see return is The Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis for the Americans).
    Always loved the original and only now playing through the Saturn sequel. Fantastic games.

18. I think they’re great games but I’m not sure if the series has enough of a defined/strong identity or gameplay style to make a new entry worth it in Sega’s eyes. A new 3D game would likely play like any 3D action-adventure game, so they’d prob feel like it may as well be a new IP. If the game were 2D or a reimagining of the original entries, that’d be a different story.

I’d be down for any new Story of Thor though. Throw in Ragnacenty and Surging Aura as well to have a full revival of the MegaRPG line.

19. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Tom Henderson has a decent track record so I think it's got some likelihood.