don't click here

Power the Next Level - Sega IP Revival Initiative

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I'm pretty excited. Spent my morning re-listening to the JSR soundtracks. Them bringing Golden Axe and Shinobi back really surprised me, I'm super happy about those.

As long as we're dreaming of more IP revivals, I'd love to see a new Out Run.

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I wonder if Crazy Taxi will be multiplayer only? The footage looked a little empty so I hope there's more going on in the final game. The original Crazy Taxi was truly unhinged so I need this new one to be balls to the walls crazy with a cool soundtrack.

all this IP revival is slowly leading up to the true apex of gaming: Segagaga 2

3. Fadaway

Fadaway

I'm intrigued by the new Shinobi if nothing more. I can't comment this early about how it looks. It looks like maybe it could use a bit more detail in the levels but this is probably a very early build I'd imagine. It does, however, appear to have hand-drawn art which is something I long for. I am cautiously optimistic.

Golden Axe looks pretty good, too. I never did play Jet Set Radio back in the day but have heard nothing but good things. So, I can't really comment on that one just yet but I guess it looks ok.

4. It's a good time to be a Sega chad.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Sonic ran so others could crawl. Thank you Sonic.

6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm still wondering what SEGA's alleged "super game" is and whether this has anything to do with that? I really hope they've scrapped the weird NFT BS they were planning.
    https://gamerant.com/sega-super-game-release-2026/
    https://www.videogameschronicle.com...game-plan-is-multiple-games-and-may-use-nfts/
    This seems to line up with what we've seen and explains why all these games were announced alongside each other. The "influenced by Roblox" part makes me think this will be one combined package of games all built on one unified engine. A game within a game kind of thing.

Sorry to anyone who was expecting these to be standalone releases, seems like that might not be the case. March 2026 is a long time from now so maybe things could change?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I don't think Shinobi and Crazy Taxi are running on the same engine here.

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I would really love to know what flash games you guys are playing to be making these Shinobi comparisons. Please provide me a list because I would love to play all these games with these large detailed and well animated sprites that I've been apparently missing out.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat

I don’t know how I missed this yesterday but I love Crazy Taxi. Have all 3 and played the mobile game City Rush (but not Tycoon). I always knew they’d bring it back. It looks awesome. Cop chases make so much sense.

It’s funny that’s partly why I loved it. It was almost an open world game you could go crazy in...before GTA3. I used to pick the 10 minute mode and see how many cars I could knock over. Haha.

Please include Sonic music in the soundtrack. That’d be perfect.

Honestly I never got into the others shown. I had the first Jet Grind Radio but thought it was frustrating.

10. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    If these revivals are restricted to Apple Arcade only (*cough* ChuChu Rocket), then there's no hope for the future of Sega.

11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Needs more Burning Rangers.

Jokes aside, these all look cool! JSR art style looks fine to me but the jump cuts for that segment were happening way too fast for me to tell for sure. Hopefully these will all play as good as they look.

12. Snowbound

Snowbound

I doubt this will happen but I’d 100% buy a console collection of Sega mobile games. I’d drop $40 for a collection that just included the apple Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Runners & Sonic Dream Team. It’d be additionally cool to have the Sonic Unleashed mobile port and the old sonic cafe games archived.
    I’d seriously be in heaven if the revival of these IPs lead to a Sega Crossover fighter… but instead of it being a smash bros clone it was a 3D fighter inspired by Power Stone. Additionally to continue the spirit of fighters megamix, Bark, Bean and the Daytona USA car should all be playable

I apologize for daydreaming but after the announcement yesterday I feel like anything’s possible ;p

13. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    you take back what you said about PAB that game was awesome back in the day

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I have my Internetese translator on at all times, so "this looks like a Flash game" automatically got filtered to "I'm a braindead little baby boy who thinks that one less dimension is OLD and LAZY and sucks DICK".

I've had it since Rayman Origins came out. It's a really useful feature, would recommend keeping it on as much as possible.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like the look of the Shinobi game but if I'm honest I'm less excited about the rest of them. Will see how this pans out.

16. Turbohog

Turbohog

Not sold on the art style of Jet Set Radio, but I'll still pick it up lol. Surprised how excited Crazy Taxi got me. I hope they can do something to make the gameplay a little less repetitive, while still offering an "Arcade" mode.

17. Trippled

Trippled

except for streets of rage and shinobi the creators of golden axe, jet set radio and crazy taxi are still very much active at sega.

for kenji kanno (crazy taxi) and jet set radio (masayoshi kikuchi) im just so super happy that they don't retire doing mobile games at sega...that would be so sad. one last shot at the games that they are known for. thats why i like the idea of these games and the idea of them being made in-house.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. To me its got that Alien Hominid look to it and it's why I never liked the look of the Streets Of Rage 4 or Battle Toads , much rather the look of Blazing Chrome myself . Thought it's still said nothing come close to Rayman Legends for a new 2D version of a classic with top end graphics .

Still, I'm over the moon Ueda-san is back at SEGA and we are getting a new Jet Set Radio game .

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Well at least you confirmed your ignorance on the subject matter with those examples.

The project I'm looking forward to the most here is Golden Axe. I liked what little they showed and it looks like a return to multiplayer after Beast Rider.