don't click here

Power the Next Level - Sega IP Revival Initiative

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Dec 8, 2023.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  2. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    And more...? (pleasebevirtuafighter6pleasebevirtuafighter6)

They had me at a hand-drawn 2D Shinobi. Can't wait to see what the Next-Next Level has in store.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Shinobi looks a bit crap and like a flash game. Really impressed with Golden Axe and so nice to see SEGA really does Understand The Concept of Love

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    If they're all shitty mobile games I will renounce Sega Forever™

5. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Really excited for Crazy Taxi and Jet Set! Did not expect in a million years Sega would announce both along with others like this. Quite awesome to see!

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Just as I was thinking of how funny the timing was for a new Jet Set Radio (given Bomb Rush Cyberfunk), they wheeled out at least four other revivals. My mind's kinda blown and I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    We are so back

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    That's a lot at once, but dolphin boy is missing. *expecting this to be on Switch 2*

I have to try them all!

9. I hope SEGA looks to back to Panzer and Binary Domain at some stage, but is awesome stufff, JSR and Crazy Taxi look awesome

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    That feel when the last Sakura Wars is too new for the series to be getting a “revival”.

(you can still make a big deal out of reviving the old ones, Sega, a collection with an English translation for the first time)

11. SEGA un-ronically won TGA.

Holy shit.

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm gonna be honest, the art direction for the new Jet Set Radio pisses me off. It's not that it's horrible, but that was not a series that needed to go all-out on fidelity and detail. You could have kept making games that looked like the first two until the sun blows up and I guarantee it wouldn't effect their success.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Haha...yeah...
    VirtuaFighterFans.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  14. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m Excited for all 5 of the announced games. The new Streets of Rage looks interesting. The first clip they showed looked like a 1v1 fighter but then it panned out and looked like a beat em up. I was hoping for a new virtua fighter but I could see sega not wanting to announce a beat em up and a fighter at the same time (since the genres are sorta similar). That said I hope these games are good and sell well so more classic IPs can be revived.

Comix Zone + Toe Jam and Earl have movie adaptations in development (or at least they were prior to the writers/actors strike) so I wouldn’t be surprised if they get new games down the road. Since Sega and Arzest have established a working relationship I also think a new Nights game directed by Ohshima is a possibility (although I personally want Arzest to make a Superstars sequel first). If Headcanon aren’t given the opportunity to make a new Pixel Art Sonic I’d love for them to make a new Ristar game! I’d also enjoy a Fantasy Zone revival by Headcanon. Headcanon made a shmup called “Pier Pressure” so they have experience with that genre.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm not sure that I agree. The first two JSR games (and BRC) definitely look very basic as far as cel-shaded games go. Nowadays, they aren't nearly as eye catching as the new one is. I'm honestly impressed by the way that it looks and think it was the right call to modernise the style with more more graphical fidelity.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I've been going feral since I saw the trailer. I can't believe it. I don't know when I'll be able to believe it.

This is, at least as far as the gaming world goes, maybe the best news ever to me. I already know a new JSR and a multiplayer Crazy Taxi would consume my entire life. And the new Shinobi looks spectacular.

Never in my life did I think I'd get vindication for pining for this company's games. Wow.

17. I well surprised at how good Golden Axe looks and that was a game I thought SEGA Japan would never go back to. Hopefully, SEGA will put up better quality footage of the games running soon

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    JSRF: 2002
    Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller: 2002 (no the mobile games don't count)
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider: 2008
    Shinobi 3D: 2011
    Streets of Rage 4: 2020

Four of these count as IP revivals. I didn't really like SOR4 though so maybe I could pretend that one's a revival too.

They did say "and more". There's a distinct lack of AM2 here (would be happy with more Hang On, Space Harrier, OutRun, After Burner, Virtua Fighter). I'd also like to see Skies of Arcadia, Alex Kidd, and Bonanza Bros (no really).

Also we still have no current-gen Chu Chu Rocket.

19. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    We need another Altered Beast reboot that isn't just a web of missed potential (looking at you, PAB). Shinobi's lookin pretty good though

20. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    JSR and Crazy Taxi coming back is great.

I kind of feel a bit undecided on the artstyle of the new JSR. I don't think it looks bad at all and I'm not 100% against the added extra detail but there are a lot of different directions you could take with a modern cel-shaded game and this is not a particularly interesting visual direction to me. One thing that always stood out about the original games was the harsh black outlines on each character that really gave everything an edge to it. That paired with environments and cityscapes with really vibrant and varied colour choices made everything look surreal.

If I had to describe it, I'd say the new one is going for a slightly more grounded look compared to the more wacky and zany look of the originals. I'll have to wait and see more of the new one though because we only saw 4 seconds of footage lol.
    upload_2023-12-8_11-20-26.png
    Professor K looks cool though